Megane RS 250 for Targa

NSRacing

Hi guys,

I've been lurking for a bit now but thought I should say hello as I pick up the new car on Friday.

I've bought an RS 250 with one thing in mind - the Australian Targa Championship, which includes Targa Tasmania. The car (base-spec Cup) will run in the 2WD Showroom category. On paper, and in the right hands, it should kill it. I won't be looking to win anything though, more keen to have as much fun as possible.

I've tracked and rallied a few cars in the last few years - GTI, R32, Celica, 147 GTA, but have finally settled on the Megane RS 250 as the most competetive/fun car for what I want to do.

So the build will start almost straight away and should be completed by the end of September. Being showroom-spec, mods are fairly limited, so it won't be too hardcore.

First event is Targa High Country (Victoria) in early November.

Will keep you all posted on how the build goes. I might also need a few technical queries solved as we go along :)

Cheers,

Nick

Awesome work, you'll pass where we live on skyline SS at High Country. Drop me a line if you need anything from a local at the event (garage, tools, spare hands etc). Keep us updated on the events and include lots of pics of the build.

Thanks. Should be fun.

Mods allowed for Showroom (which may change this year) are basically front brakes (free - though I will be sticking with OEM rotors/calipers), ECU (I've made up my mind on this though :)), springs and shocks (no coilovers allowed though), and well that's about it. Oh diff as well, but I'm planning on keeping the standard LSD for the time being.

Awesome work, you'll pass where we live on skyline SS at High Country. Drop me a line if you need anything from a local at the event (garage, tools, spare hands etc). Keep us updated on the events and include lots of pics of the build.

Good stuff. We'll have a small crew but the more hands and help the better! Will keep you updated.

Go for Carbone Lorraine RC5+ pads or Ferodo DS2500's for front pads. You could go more hardcore pads but you shouldn't need to. Braided lines and good fluid.

Definitely get a stage 1 map from Rstuning or Fastchip. the difference in power/torque is night and day. You need an aftermarket intercooler for stage 2 map, you're probably not allowed to change it.

I wouldn't touch the springs or shocks for targa/road use. How about tyres?

Yep, I've used DS2500s before and will use them again.

Yeah, tyres can be anything road legal but need to be the same size (still deciding what to use). Which reminds me, I need another eight 18" OEM wheels (which I know will be a challenge) :s

PM "Wolf" he can import them from the UK much cheaper than what Renault will sell them for here.

what size/width/load rating are the 18's?

welcome Nick!

great to see your in canberra too! if you need any help with your team/ car prep or just feel like a chat dont hesitate to drop us a line. went to targa tas this year as support crew.

reeves won targa tas class in the MPS mazda this year and he is a quality driver. a well sorted RS should be better than the mazda by a long way..

very keen to see your progress with the car and competition

welcome Nick!

great to see your in canberra too! if you need any help with your team/ car prep or just feel like a chat dont hesitate to drop us a line. went to targa tas this year as support crew.

reeves won targa tas class in the MPS mazda this year and he is a quality driver. a well sorted RS should be better than the mazda by a long way..

very keen to see your progress with the car and competition

Thanks man. Yes, Brendo is a gun driver. Not sure if he will be Targa'ing this year though with his WRC commitments. The MPS has so much gear on it though. If Mazda wanted something, Octagon would change the rules - bigger brakes? Sure, we'll just change the rules...

Anyway, there should be some interesting new cars in showroom this year from what I've heard. But no, the Focus RS is ineligible for the showroom category.

Thanks for the offers for assistance guys. Hopefully we'll get a good group of helpers, before and during the events.

Cheers,

Nick

The MPS has so much gear on it though. If Mazda wanted something, Octagon would change the rules - bigger brakes? Sure, we'll just change the rules...

SOOO true. it really is like a boys club in regards to rules.. maxda RX8 turbo SP anyone?? how the hell is that eliggible. perhaps something to do with mazda giving them a equivalent car to drive round the whole event as 00 course car..

i cant say much more on here but ill save it for pm's

you got a budget for your tyres? I assume you will need a set for dry and another for damp/wet conditions?

what's the load rating?

Yeah $2-3k for a set of 6 tyres is about the budget. For Targa Tas they'll need to last the 5 days. For the other two events the same set could probably be used.

We only get 6 tyres per event. I'd like to run a full semi (Michelin Sport Cup or Dunlop Z03G, for example), but if the shorter 2-day events are going to be wet I'd rather run something like the Hankook RS-3. I'll plan to have 2 sets of 6 tyres (one semi, one 'wet') for THC.

The standard tyre size is 235/40/18. Can't remember the load rating of the OEM tyres. Most semi's in that size are 91, which may be less than the OEM tyre, but the load rating would still conform to the minimum load rating for each corner.

I presume you need to include a cage and bucket seats?

Might be worth contacting Renault and asking if you can purchase parts from one of the 250's that was used in the AGP this year?

They have already had all the hard work done (Cage, seats, kill switch).

Might be worth contacting Renault and asking if you can purchase parts from one of the 250's that was used in the AGP this year?

Yep. At least one has been returned to road-trim, and Melbourne Performance Centre have all the designs for a rollcage and everything else that's needed :wink:

I was actually in discussions with Renault to buy one of those Red Bull cars, but I would have needed to install a better roll cage anyway, so I decided to buy a new car and build from scratch.

MPC will probably do the cage :)

Go for Carbone Lorraine RC5+ pads or Ferodo DS2500's for front pads. You could go more hardcore pads but you shouldn't need to. Braided lines and good fluid.

Definitely get a stage 1 map from Rstuning or Fastchip. the difference in power/torque is night and day. You need an aftermarket intercooler for stage 2 map, you're probably not allowed to change it.

I wouldn't touch the springs or shocks for targa/road use. How about tyres?

This.

I race a Megane in the Targa NZ and found it needed little modification to be competitive, I would definitively look at pads for added pedal feel and bite if nothing else. A remap would be a great idea as the stock RS250 feels a bit restricted, room for improvement there!

Dunlops will handle the wet and dry, in NZ we are only allowed a set of six for the week, rain or shine the Dunlop Z03G are great, they match well with OEM suspension and the OEM suspension really does handle the rough stuff easy.

Click on my signature tab for more info on what I have done.

Welcome to OZRS, keep us updated!

Fantastic to see another new RS car being prepped for competition! Congrats on the project, and best of luck.

Have you been following development of Renaultsport's Group N Megane? Are there parts from that that you could use?

Cheers, Dish.

I race a Megane in the Targa NZ and found it needed little modification to be competitive, I would definitively look at pads for added pedal feel and bite if nothing else. A remap would be a great idea as the stock RS250 feels a bit restricted, room for improvement there!

Dunlops will handle the wet and dry, in NZ we are only allowed a set of six for the week, rain or shine the Dunlop Z03G are great, they match well with OEM suspension and the OEM suspension really does handle the rough stuff easy.

Awesome. Pads definitely and remap sorted!

I haven't tried the Dunlops but some people I've spoken to about them complain of their slipperiness in the wet. I might do some testing anyway to see what's best, but if I know a 2-day event is going to be wet I might opt for a tyre with more tread.

Fantastic to see another new RS car being prepped for competition! Congrats on the project, and best of luck.

Have you been following development of Renaultsport's Group N Megane? Are there parts from that that you could use?

Cheers, Dish.

Cheers. I haven't really been following the Group N development, but I'd doubt any of the performance parts would be permitted in the showroom category unfortunately.

Are you permitted to fit anything classified as a manufacturer's accessory or spare part? :twisted:

If so, you can pretty much order anything from RenaultSport over-the-counter at a dealer with the part number.

Are you permitted to fit anything classified as a manufacturer's accessory or spare part? :twisted:

If so, you can pretty much order anything from RenaultSport over-the-counter at a dealer with the part number.

I don't think so. But I'm sure competitors have exploited this in the past. The regs say:

SR1. Eligibility

Only modifications to the vehicle specified within these regulations are permitted, all other modifications are forbidden. Factory options and homologated components are not permitted except where these regulations provide specific tolerance.

So yeah, nar.

For all things Renault Mechancial and motorsport our resident racer EvilB66 also lives in the ACT.

Good luck with the build. Would be keen to come down and check it out in person at some stage :D plans for a shakedown run at wakefield?

For all things Renault Mechancial and motorsport our resident racer EvilB66 also lives in the ACT.

Good luck with the build. Would be keen to come down and check it out in person at some stage :D plans for a shakedown run at wakefield?

I've met Bryan a couple of times...

I do have a few Wakefield days planned - the week after next (bog stock), Aaron's day (warm), and then sometime in October (complete) :D