New member & hopeful future RS250 owner...

MJH

Hi everyone. This is my first post here...

I currently drive a black Mondeo XR5 Turbo, and prior to that had a Focus XR5 Turbo, and prior to that a Proton Satria GTI.

The Mondeo is a great car - it looks good, drives nicely and is very well equipped, but it's more of a cruiser than a sports car, and I really preferred driving my Focus (and even the Satria GTI). As soon as I read about and saw the RS250 I wanted one. However, I live in Newcastle NSW and the closest Renault dealers are in Sydney, so I've only seen one in the flesh so far (at the Waitara dealership in Sydney). I haven't seen any in Newcastle yet. In any case, I'm pretty keen on buying one some time around the middle of this year. I'm leaning towards a Cup Trophee in either black or white, with Bi-Xenons, the black 18 inch wheels and black inserts. I'm still undecided about which Recaro seats (leather or cloth) I'd get, and whether the front parking sensors are a worthwhile option. Any opinions on this are most welcome. My only real concern at this stage is that I'd have to travel to Sydney to get my servicings done (and any warranty issues sorted out)...

Anyway, I'll keep you posted as I (hopefully) progress towards owning my first ever Renault.

Cheers,

Matt

Howdy Matt, and welcome to the forum.

I'm sure the Newcastle contingent will be more than happy to have another join in :)

I suspect your going to be right at home in a 250 - not that I hold any bias :lol:

Hey mate welcome to the forum great choice on the RS250 ive got the front sensors and they are defiantly worth it as u cant really see much at the front. As far as the recaros go get the leather much more durable than the cloth. The demo car where i got my car had cloth recaros and you could already see the wear. Good luck with your purchase. :D

Welcome!

I think the front sensors are a good option. I added them because I though i couldn't judge the front of the vehicle, but after a week of living with it I can judge it pretty well and don't really need them, but they are a good for extra peace of mind. Besides, whats another $500 on a $50K plus vehicle?

Thanks guys - sounds like front sensors are wortwhile. I have them on my Mondeo and find I don't really need them, and in fact they can become annoying sometimes. But I guess if they save accidental front damage just once then they are good value...

Are the leather recaros heated? I had heated leather recaros in my Focus XR5, and have heated seats in the Mondeo, and they are very welcome in winter...

Thanks guys - sounds like front sensors are wortwhile. I have them on my Mondeo and find I don't really need them, and in fact they can become annoying sometimes. But I guess if they save accidental front damage just once then they are good value...

Are the leather recaros heated? I had heated leather recaros in my Focus XR5, and have heated seats in the Mondeo, and they are very welcome in winter...

No heated seats with the leather :(

Hey Matt, welcome to the forum.

I think you will be really happy with a 250. I have had a 225 & a R26 before this one an i can say they only get better with every model.

I would give Peter Warren at go at Liverpool. The contact is Kevin Abood, i spent a lot of time talking to all the dealers an they were the only ones that really gave me a good feel, an in the end gave me the best deal by far.

I got every option on mine. I have never had parking sensors on any car an now i would never be without them. I back into my garage every night an they are really handy, worth the extra cost.

To be honest all the options are worth having, the Xenons are fantastic, Recaro's are great an i think the leather is worth the extra expence. Not 100% sold on the quality of the leather but its ok. I dont think its all dead cow :wink:

Give Kevin at Peter Warrens a go, i dont think you will be disapointed in the service or the price.

Good luck mate

Hey Matt, welcome to the forum.

I think you will be really happy with a 250. I have had a 225 & a R26 before this one an i can say they only get better with every model.

I would give Peter Warren at go at Liverpool. The contact is Kevin Abood, i spent a lot of time talking to all the dealers an they were the only ones that really gave me a good feel, an in the end gave me the best deal by far.

I got every option on mine. I have never had parking sensors on any car an now i would never be without them. I back into my garage every night an they are really handy, worth the extra cost.

To be honest all the options are worth having, the Xenons are fantastic, Recaro's are great an i think the leather is worth the extra expence. Not 100% sold on the quality of the leather but its ok. I dont think its all dead cow :wink:

Give Kevin at Peter Warrens a go, i dont think you will be disapointed in the service or the price.

I agree with Dom here Matt, Kevin will go out of his way to ensure the experience is never painful.... only :D

JOHN

Good luck mate

Welcome Matt

I just got my Cup Trophee white with the 19's. Got the front parking sensors. I think they are worth every cent. I got the leather recaros and can recommend the bi xenon lights. Not sure that you need heated seats in Newcastle. But hey I live in Canberra. Anyway good luck with the purchase.

Pete

Hunter Viking in Newcastle are factory trained/authorised to service and carry out warranty repairs. Some of the crew on here use these guys and are generally quite positive about their experiences. Try doing a search on 'Hunter Viking' and decide for yourself.

And good luck with the prospective purchase.

• 2 weeks later...

I test drove my first RS250 today. It was a silver Trophee with 19 inch wheels and leather Recaros. Cutting to the chase, I've come away with mixed feelings. Here's my review...

The car's performance is unquestionably good. Steering and handling are superb, and acceleration is very strong. The feel from the driver's seat is fantastic. The Recaro seats are supportive yet comfortable, the pedals are in just the right position, the steering wheel feels both sporty and comfortable and the gearshift is slick. I was surprised by how short the clutch travel is - I actually stalled it when I first tried to driive off, but that's because the clutch travel in my Mondeo is so long. The RS250 clutch is similar to my old Focus XR5. Once I knew how short it was, shifting gears was very smooth and quick. Nice!!

Unfortunately my drive was mostly on rough Sydney roads, so I didn't get much chance to drive the RS250 in its element. The ride was definitely firm, to the point of almost being harsh on the rougher roads, but it felt solid and the firm ride justified itself in the nicer bends. The roads and speed limits didn't give me much opportunity to stretch the RS250's legs, but acceleration in the first few gears was impressive. In any case, enough has been said by the 'experts' about this car's performance and handling, so I don't think I need to say any more on that.

The RS250 is a great looking car in the flesh, although I don't think the silver is its best colour (please don't take offence if you have a silver one - colour choice is obviously a very personal thing). I'm also much keener on the look of the black 18 inch alloys than the 19 inch ones - the latter look too 'fussy' to me - again a personal choice...

The two main disappointments for me were the lack of any distinctive engine/exhaust sound (except at high revs), and the average quality of the interior (for the price)...

For a car with such a sporty character, I was expecting a decent burble at idle, with the engine and exhaust note increasing gradually in intensity as the revs rose. However, it sounded just like any other small car until accelerating quite hard. Maybe it was just my very short drive and limited opportunities to enjoy the car's potential, but I didn't get the aural response I was expecting and hoping for...

As for the interior, I expected better from a $55K car. It's really no better than in my old Focus XR5 and nowhere near the standard of my current Mondeo XR5. The plastic door trims, centre console, and rear view mirror seem particularly cheap. The lack of useable storage spaces in the cabin was also disappointing.

I really thought this test drive was just going to be a formality in the process of buying a RS250, but now I'm not sure whether I can justify spending the extra $30K to go from my current Mondeo XR5 to the RS250. They are both completely different types of cars, which makes the decision even more difficult. A test drive in a location that better suited the RS250 probably would have helped its case...

Decisions, decisions...

Never understand that.... it's a great way to lose a sale when you're not flexible to a clients request of a better drive.

Withing reason of course, but either way, it's putting oneself on the backfoot...as proven above.

WOLF

• 8 months later...

Not really a newbie any more - just an update...

Finally placed an order yesterday for a brand new black RS250 Trophee with 18 in wheels, black inserts and all the options (plus tinted front windows and RenaultSport floor mats!). Can't wait to get my hands on it! :D

Thanks guys.

The car is already here (thanks in part I believe to Moosey!) - just needs to get from the 'compound' to the dealer, have the inserts sprayed black, 19 inch wheels swapped over to 18s and the front windows tinted. Should only be a couple of weeks from now...

Congrats again, wise decision on the 18's.

I regret not being able to option 18's on mine and really think the 19's are a hindrance and not compliant at all, driving some old coastal back roads this holiday has been a bit disappointing after doing them last year in a older more compliant II RS with 18's.

Counting down for photos.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update...

Picked up my car yesterday. Looks awesome! The drive home to Newcastle was pretty subdued due to Sydney traffic and running in, but it feels great. Love the seats and driving position, and the steering is nice and direct. Ride is certainly firm (especially compared to my Mondeo!) but liveable. User interface is not particularly intuitive, but I'm sure I'll work it all out pretty quickly. Got back in the dark, but mates were suitably impressed with what they've seen so far.

Looking forward to getting to know the car a bit better today. I'll try to get some pics up soon (although I only have a crappy little camera so don't expect anything too artistic!).

Nice one MJH. Reckon you might be able to get along to the Sydney North Drive/Dinner at the end of this month? Would be great to see you and the black bomber. Details in the social events section :)

MJH,

I have had my Megane 250 4 days - its great! the chassis really is amazing, the way it gets around corners is very special.

Mine is a yellow Trophee when I work out how to upload some pics, will do so, using the Img tab next to URL isn't working?

I haven't played with the throttle mapping yet, figured I would wait till it's done at least 1,000 km.

The only disappointing aspect of the car (which was pointed out in all car reviews I've read) is the sound system.

enjoy

JDB

Perth

Hey JDB. Good choice there!

I'd read about the average sound system here on the forum so was prepared for it. It's certainly not the most intuitive system to operate, and the sound isn't fantastic, but it doesn't seem as bad (to me) as some others have said. I'm more bothered by the ridiculous cup holder!! Doesn't mean I don't love the car though...

To post pics you need to firstly upload your pics to a picture sharing website like Photobucket. Then you click the 'img' button in your post and / will appear within your post. Then you just paste the URL link for your picture between / and when you submit your post it will show the actual photo. Hope that helps...