New Clio 172 in Sydney!

Godspeed

Hey guys,

My name is Matt and I'm the new owner of an '02 RS Clio 172! I'm also new to the world of Renault... :D

I haven't had a chance to really push the little Clio just yet but so far it is living up to the hype and I'm loving it. :hyper: I also drive a Nissan R33 GT-R which I've had for nearly 5 years now, and during that time have had two Corollas as runabouts. The most recent one was a 2000 Ascent which admittedly only had 40,000km on it, but frankly I was stunned at what else could be bought for the same money (about $9.5K) - a 2002 Renault Clio 172 with FSH and only 54,000km. I promptly bought the little Renault and now the Corrie will be for sale!

The handling and power are things I expected from the Clio, but I'm also amazed at the value in other areas like the xenons, auto wipers, four airbags and fantastic alcantara / leather seats.

Looking forward to getting to know you guys (and the car) better, and learning lots.

The only gripe I've got so far is that the clutch pedal is a little "sticky" on the way back up, making taking off from a standstill smoothly in traffic a little difficult.

RSClio1b.jpg

Cheers,

Matt

Welcome to the forums, and enjoy the car!

You'll get used to the clutch eventually, there's not much you can do with that stickyness because they're a cable clutch. Mine got freshly lubed up and was still sticky.

Welcome! Good choice on the 172 8)

The 172 is well known for a tricky clutch with a high take up point. If you're saying it's sticky I'm inclined to think it might need a re-lube, though for some that doesn't seen to do it.

I think the only real cure is to install a new clutch cable, which is from a 182, and much improved over the 172. You can buy one from Wolf & have a go at installing yourself or else get it fitted at your next service.

Enjoy the forum & get along to a social event. How'd you find us BTW?

Oh & pics of the GT-R? 8)

Hey guys, thanks a lot for the warm welcome! And thanks for the tips on the cable. Already with 5 mins searching and with your posts too, I've read a bit about how the cable can be replaced for better feel and more consistent friction point - brilliant! I'm expecting there to be a bit more in the way of maintenance costs over the Corollas, but as long as the costs aren't ridiculous it's a worthwhile price to pay for the driving enjoyment, of which the Corolla had 0.

I heard there was a good forum for the RS's from the guy I bought the car from, and did some searching on Google to find you guys. I'm reading good things about "Paul V" as the man to see in Sydney; is he at AP Automotive, Carlton NSW? I couldn't find a website but that address is all I could find off Google.

Walkie, here are a few pics of the GT-R; it's nice to meet some blokes who have an interest in a different marque as well :)

Cheers guys

Matt

GTR1.jpg

GTR2.jpg

GTR3.jpg

Welcome! Glad you found us. And yes, many of us are interested in other stuff outside of RS cars! :wink:

Say, your username wasn't inspired by a Canadian post-rock group by any chance?

Cheers, Dish.

Thanks again guys. And cheers Clio2.0, I'll give Paul V a call then. I stalled it coming back home from work tonight on a hill start :oops::oops::oops: so need to get used to the clutch or find a solution soon!

Hey Dish, nope, I've got no idea who they are? The name is just a nice word in terms of its meaning I suppose, but also was a mix of Godzilla (for the GT-R) and speed :P

Ah, LOL that makes sense :D

That band I mentioned is "Godspeed You! Black Emporer" (aka Godspeed or GY!BE). Bit "out there" for most people's taste hehe :headbang:

As for stalling it, some of us veterans still do it... :oops:

Perhaps try using the handbrake for the tricky hill starts :wink:

I just looked up some of their stuff on Youtube - pretty supernatural style music and videos (watched "Rockets fall on Rocket Falls"). I take it you're a fan Dish? The closest thing I can think of that I'd have is maybe some of the songs from Dark Side of the Moon but of course they're completely mainstream in comparison...

Glad to hear I might not be alone with the clutch... The GT-R's clutch can also be a bit tricky; she becomes temperamental on hot days in traffic! :)

Actually no big plans as yet SamR, I don't want to go down the route I did with a nice old '88 325i bimmer I had years ago which I was using as my daily; it was a great little car but I completely ruined it by putting 17" Starcorp wheels on it and lowering it (I am so ashamed, the rims probably weighed about 20kg each). Completely killed the acceleration and the ride. So, yeah, any mods to the Clio would have to be both tasteful and performance enhancing; but then I do already have a car that kind of fits that bill in the garage... we shall see!

I am also amazed at how well the Clio rides, yet it corners very flat. The ride quality over ripples is actually on par with the corolla (if not better), you only notice the firmer ride on compression in dips, etc. The PO had put a CAI and Midas exhaust on; it is a little drony but has a nice little growl when you're up it :P The CAI on the other hand I'd also like Paul to look at potentially, as the ducting comes round the front of the motor and I suspect it would get quite hot; countering much of the power gains.

nice cars you got there godspeed im new to rennos myself i bought a flamin red 172 3 weeks ago and been lovin evey minute of it.your right about value with the leather auto xenon and wipers and all what i cant get over is the stability at high speeds 150 + it feel like a much bigger car,better than my honda euro!

anyways enjoy your new daily

Welcome Godzillaspeed (i guessed right), and kudos on your 2 choices. Fun will not be a lacking point at your place.

In the mist of doing a new clutch cable, but will get someone to do it for me. Happy to just be the test pilot once it's done.

Cheers, welcome, and feel free to contact me with any parts questions.

WOLF

Thanks Sportif - 150km/h+ hey? :) Can't say I've done that yet (may do if I take it on track) but yeah so far I am impressed with its stability.

The similarity with the GT-R is that it feels pleasantly direct and chuckable in everyday driving but is still easy enough to drive without being tiresome and skittish. But then when you start throwing either car into a corner and pushing them a bit, they both beg for more - lateral G of both cars is quite good from what I can tell.

Wolf - Yes I do feel lucky now for having these two cars to choose from every time I need (or want) to go somewhere. I'd also like to look at getting someone to do the cable for me (I heard you might be able to source the part) as it seems a bit complicated. I can change the oil myself but anything more complex I'd rather leave to an expert. Paul V seems to be the man to see.

Cheers,

Matt

Very nice mate - and in a great colour, too. 8)

Thanks mate, although I was asked by a female colleague - "is it actually blue? It looks a bit purple?" :oops: Going to be getting used to hearing the "girls car" comments I think, but I don't care! :)

All of my friends were laughing and poking fun at the car... till I took 'em for a drive.

Godspeed, it does turn purple in the late afternoon light... and IMO looks amazing! It's by far my favourite colour for the 172 - my first 2 Clios were the same colour!

Unfortunately, the uneducated masses will look at it thinking it's a chick's car (as do the constabulary), but we know better :wink:

Godspeed, it does turn purple in the late afternoon light... and IMO looks amazing! It's by far my favourite colour for the 172 - my first 2 Clios were the same colour!

Unfortunately, the uneducated masses will look at it thinking it's a chick's car (as do the constabulary), but we know better :wink:

All of my friends were laughing and poking fun at the car... till I took 'em for a drive.

True guys, and I like that about it - no doubt its Q-car status is a large bulk of its appeal. Even my GT-R I've tried to keep quite discreet - exhaust on the Clio is actually louder than the Skyline!

And yeah - I love the colour. It is a bit similar to the Mauritius Blue on the mid-90s BMWs; nice deep blue with the tiniest hint of purple in it.