RS225 Mega F1 Owner

X225F1

Hi all,

I am new to the European world, I've been into Jap Mobiles for a long time until I saw the Megane on top gear. After having a 200sx reaching up 250kw, I am hoping to do the same however on my F1 Megane. I still have a few contacts with people that did my 200sx so hopefully they can bend a few things and get some killerwasps out of this machine.

I will be spending about 10k as soon as my warranty is finished which will be in Oct next year. The guys from chasers and madaz are willing to help with fabrication and installation along with tuning.

To go with turbonetics or to go with a Greddy.. not too sure what to go for however, if its anything like a sr20 then i'll go with the turbonetics GTK-325. Will load up pics soon. :nod:

Welcome! Wow this will be a first on this forum so good luck with it all 8)

Meanwhile, where are you located? You should try & get along to a social event & meet some of the guys/girls.

Enjoy the forum!

Alex

welcome to the forum :)

goodluck with your future mods :dance:

it prolly won't be as easy as u think to do all the mods, but i'm sure you'll have fun (and many headaches) along the way :)

It will be worth your time to jump onto the meganesport.net forum and speak to Icarus and Paul at RS Tuning as they prolly have the most knowledge about the meggies :)

Gryffin has already given you a link in your other post to one guy from South Africa that has had the turbo upgrade, so you might like to talk to him too for ideas and problems etc :) ......There is also a cop car in South Africa (a meggy) that has had quite a bit done to it aswell (RSTuningSA on here is the man on here to speak to about that)

Cheers,

Brendan

Welcome, great to have another Meggie owner on board.

What are your intentions for the car? Show car, track car, or to show up those Jap cars on the dyno? :D

Whatever your plans, keep us updated. We would love to see some pics.

Deb

Thanks guys im located in Melbourne. I definitely wouldn't mind coming to social events, would love to meet all the hardcore Renault drivers. OMG!! if you can find out the old map settings from my ECU whoever u are you're a bloody legend!!

Well first thing first is I understand that the rule with making more horsepower lies to the extent of what the driveline is capable of. I believe the mega has a solid gearbox but lacks in the differential department. As you all know Quaife is probz the only solution.

Next is intake and turbo. What has amazed me about this car is that all these lil piping creates such as nice touchy launch. At first I was like hmm.. thats a really small intake manifold and its something i wouldn't even put into a N/A vehicle. I think putting a intake manifold similar to the Hypertune Inlet Plenum attached with a 66mm throttle body (max 70mm) - would be ideal for something over the 200kw region. Or you can go with a quad throttle set-up like how Pulsar GTiR came out from factory.

Now there is no point with enlarging ur manifold and throttle body if your expecting to send the same amount of air. We all know our lil turbos are good for 280hp - 290hp but if your planning to upgrade ur intake then you are required to get a faster spooling/high boosting turbo. Accomplishing all this with lil room under bonnet will definitely require heaps of F#$KN around.

So what can one do to their current turbo?? Well I think a td04 19t compressor wheel & housing would be a nice lil upgrade. However, turn the boost up to 15psi and you will be happy.

Deb you asked what are my intentions? Well I think Hot4s need a Renault in there don't you think?? I mean yeh 200sx and Evos and Wrxs are fun awesome cars but it bores me to see that its only JDM vehicles and every second page is about this guy's nissan 200sx (hence why i sold my 200sx).

At first I was looking at what would be a cost effective method to get this 225bhp vehicle somewhere around 220-250kw atw just like the sr20. Now we see people with Honda Civics achieving this and even the bloody VW!! Grr I hate them but damn they are quality cars. So why not a Renault??

Now if there is one thing thats gonna stop me from my project its probably gonna be marriage. To be honest guys, its around the corner too.. The mrs and I were just discussing about july next year so hopefully if I get a 2nd job to keep this project visible things will be exciting otherwise it will be a long term project. So lets hope what I;m saying will in turn become reality else I'd be nothing more than a sh!t talker.

Welcome to the forum mate and good luck with your project.

One last thing to consider is whether a front wheel drive car can handle 200+ kw atw. diff or no diff :)

Thankyou for the warm welcome Matteo and Yeh that is true. :idea: Which is why I tipped on the topic of the driveline. Yes the diff only plays with the distribution of power to the wheels but it is the g/box that plays the ultimate role. So the question ur asking is can the g.box handle this power... lets hope it can bcoz im not buying a dogbox stuff that.. My mate has a type r integra and he is hitting 219kw at 9psi so what does that tell us for fwd vehicles??? :news: I think people shouldnt be scared about power figures on a fwd because hitting over 200kw on a FWD vehicle is old news.

Hello X225F1.

Welcome along to the forum.

Can't wait to see you implement some of these mods, sounds great.

Sometimes I think the Meggy world needs a bit of a shake up.....if I didn't have a huge mortgage and all those other annoying responsibilities that come with age.........well........Big Turbo Meggy on MoTeC (In my dreams anyway !!) :lol::lol:

Cheers - Dave.

Edit.....PS - R26 already has LSD...........(Sorry to rub it in..... :wink: )

Edit 2 ... PPS.....Picts or BAN......its the rules....... :P

Thankyou for the warm welcome Matteo and Yeh that is true. :idea: Which is why I tipped on the topic of the driveline. Yes the diff only plays with the distribution of power to the wheels but it is the g/box that plays the ultimate role. So the question ur asking is can the g.box handle this power... lets hope it can bcoz im not buying a dogbox stuff that.. My mate has a type r integra and he is hitting 219kw at 9psi so what does that tell us for fwd vehicles??? :news: I think people shouldnt be scared about power figures on a fwd because hitting over 200kw on a FWD vehicle is old news.

Hey Mate

As i mentioned earlier, if your serious about all these mods, speak to people who have had experience doing this stuff on the meggy, and know the meggy pretty much inside out - its not a simple car to mod, and there definitely isn't the support u get with jap cars and many other makes.

People who i think are in the major know are:

On this forum, it would be Rassie and RSTuningSA - both heavily involved in reworked meggies - though they are in South Africa, they do visit this forum.

Otherwise, on the meganesport.net forum speak to Icarus or Paul from RS Tuning on there - prolly the two most knowledgeable people on the meggy :wink:

Cheers,

Brendan

Hi Brendan,

Btw i'm sorry i forgot to introduce myself. My name is Joe. Thank you for the contacts Brendan, I will definately chase them. Hmm, you are right about it not being a simple car because when I took it to the guys at chasers they were scratching their heads because they've never dealt with a euro car.

I think people shouldnt be scared about power figures on a fwd because hitting over 200kw on a FWD vehicle is old news.

Getting that reliable power to the ground while going around corners, and stopping on a dime afterwards is another thing.

And having a car that is equally at home on the track, strip, or doing the grocery shopping, picking the kids up after school, driving through peak hour traffic, or going for a spirited run through the twisties on the weekend is what most guys and girls on this forum are all about.

I assure you, everyone of the forum will be following your posts with interest, but get to know and love your Meggy first before you do too much to it, cause sometimes the more you gain........the more you loose......... :?

Hy Joe,

Welcome to the Euro sector Champ.

The Meggie is my first French bucket of rattles also, Its a truely great car, its just very, very different. Iv'e gone the RSTuner route for now, Im yet to do a final Dyno for the ECU tune, but expecting 165kw/225hp ATW. All esle stock.

Im more biased towards lap time over 1/4 or 0-100, just my bag.

Great to see another tuner on the Meggie crew.

Cheers,

Rob.

I think people shouldnt be scared about power figures on a fwd because hitting over 200kw on a FWD vehicle is old news.

Getting that reliable power to the ground while going around corners, and stopping on a dime afterwards is another thing.

And having a car that is equally at home on the track, strip, or doing the grocery shopping, picking the kids up after school, driving through peak hour traffic, or going for a spirited run through the twisties on the weekend is what most guys and girls on this forum are all about.

I assure you, everyone of the forum will be following your posts with interest, but get to know and love your Meggy first before you do too much to it, cause sometimes the more you gain........the more you loose......... :?

What you said right there was the best thing anyone can be told. Well you are definitely right. Its taken me a while to become familiar with the megane and it is a big difference going from a 200sx rwd vehicle to a fwd euro car. Its been 11mths now and I'm still learning what i can do with it.

Hy Joe,

Welcome to the Euro sector Champ.

The Meggie is my first French bucket of rattles also, Its a truely great car, its just very, very different. Iv'e gone the RSTuner route for now, Im yet to do a final Dyno for the ECU tune, but expecting 165kw/225hp ATW. All esle stock.

Im more biased towards lap time over 1/4 or 0-100, just my bag.

Great to see another tuner on the Meggie crew.

Cheers,

Rob.

Hey rob,

Nice to finally meet you. Well i would be more of a good use to the crew if these cars had a sr20 engine. By the way, doesnt renault own nissan?? Do these engines have any similarities with the sr20???

? Well I think Hot4s need a Renault in there don't you think?? I mean yeh 200sx and Evos and Wrxs are fun awesome cars but it bores me to see that its only JDM vehicles and every second page is about this guy's nissan 200sx (hence why i sold my 200sx).[ quote \]

here here . too many rice mobiles around . didnt they bomb darwin ?

my other car is an evo 9 and its a great car but the renault / euro scene is a lot more interesting as its far less common there han the hot rice-boy hondas etc like everyone else has . and euros handle better . and pull the chicks .

so , big welcome and looking forward to seeing your creation !

Not worth my money buying a map. Its either go hard or go home. If I had a ford xr6t a remap would get you to the 300kw+ zone which is bang for bucks. But to spend $xxxx.xx on just a remap i would not bother. I'd just buy a turbo and replace the td04hl with the td06s-l2-20g 6cm2 or gtk-325 and start tuning my way. Slowly slowly you start modifying the other bits and pieces. This is the order of things I am to get:

Stage 1 - things that dont need ecu tuned

1. Intercooler *either forge or the replica one

2. Cat back zorst **3inch or I could go with the milltek

3. Air filter kit (not sure but the blitz supersonic gets a good suck)

================================

Stage 2 - headaches ($$$$)

4. turbo <---smack bang $1500 max

5. Custom turbo manifold <--$700

**maybe you can add the option of fitting 245 wide tyres to the 18" rims

Stage 3 - Something that will bolt on nicely without stress and requires a degree of playful ECU tuning

6. LSD $2.5K + fittings

7. Intake Manifold $???.?? (i'll see wat the guys at bresciani/chasers can do)

8. throttle body (preferably 66-70mm)

(optional at this point - 7. Upgrade Ignition (get more sparks - checkout ICE ignition))

Stage 4 - get the most out of the engine (this = more headaches and $$$)

9. Piggy back the ecu with Motec m800 <--$3k and then installation and all that crap expect about $5k or u can get a Euro4 EFI

10. Upgrade Ignition (get more sparks - checkout ICE ignition)

==========================================================

==========================================================

Then again.. I'm just acting like this is all going to be an easy teaser just like the 200sx. Guys if you all were to spend big bucks on your renault What would you do? Now I'm asking you all because you have more experience/knowledge of the F4T engine.

Welcome Joe and Ralph, I called by car Felix :)

Good luck on the mods, as Dave cautioned once you start mucking around with the stock config to much you might lose day to day drive ability.

I know Brendan mentioned not getting a remap to start with, but the Fastchip.nl one is so cheap and effective I think it would be a great way to knock over the modding bug for a bit. Also you clearly been a keen to fiddle with the car will love the Live Data logger and all the info it gives you.

You could do that and a cat back exhaust for about $2k and have a HUGE improvement and then think about next steps for 6 months or so, and see what the car is like with that level of mods.

Just having done to recent sessions at wakefeild I think that some track time is in order to get and idea of what the car is like at the limit, it can be pushed very hard. Now I am not saying this for the old, "it's about the twisties" argument there is a very valid point to the modding path. If you have pushed the car to it's current limits and note down (or data log) it's performance then you can objectively say whether you have gone forwards or backwards in your mods.

Another idea that no one mentioned is why don't you do the fastchip + exhaust and then remove some weight from the car :mrgreen:

Go down the R26.R path and lose a 100K take out the rear seats, get a carbon bonnet and remove panels in the back, I gauruntee that the huge sound, remap and less weight will bring a grin to your face (maybe not your wife) :)

The R26.R beat out cars that qoute: " November 12, 2008: Renault’s new £24,000 Mégane Renaultsport R26.R has beaten the £110,000 Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione, £90,000 Maserati GranTurismo S and £85,000 Aston Martin V8 Vantage in EVO magazine’s Car of The Year test."

Next mod would be what RasMan did and bore out the current turbo housing and put in a bigger turbo, stronger dump valve, IC and de-cat and tune the day lights out of it.

I woul dlook for wrecks in the paper, might be great to pull and engine or have a track only car.

Best of luck mate, will deffo support you in your need to burn cash 8)

very interesting point - I've never taken any of my cars down to a track to experience their capabilities. I think that is something I have to do one day. However, I love g-force. I love getting that drive when the turbo kicks u in the chest. Thats something I haven't experienced in the Renault. Yes it looks good, handles quite well, but sitting at the lights with a s2000 or clubby next to you doesnt give u the best feeling when u know u cant really take em down on the straight. I guess you can describe the RSM as a vehicle which sits in its own class. It was never meant for the straights just for beating other cars on circuit. This is what I'm now starting to understand when i joined this forum. These cars were purely designed not to knuckle out others on the straights.

Hmm, knowing this starts to get me thinking that maybe I've made the wrong choice about this car.

This is what I'm now starting to understand when i joined this forum. These cars were purely designed not to knuckle out others on the straights.

Hmm, knowing this starts to get me thinking that maybe I've made the wrong choice about this car.

I don't think so this is a great forum and the car can get some kick out of it :nod:

But if you like g force, then of to the track with you :)

There is a turn at wakefeild that you come out of a 2nd gear corner and punch it and hang on to the steering wheel for dear life as you pull third your flat out into a sweeping right hander, the whole time the g force is pulling you out of your seat down the back straight 150K and you stomp on the brakes slamming you into your seat belt into another 2nd gear corner into the front straight to end up hitting about 170K.

This is were the g force are hanging out :headbang:

Get the fastchip remap, best BFYB mod bar none and see how she feels after :)

you got me shivering while i was reading that. hmm..

LOL :mrgreen:

Winton is a quality track, and there are a few track enthusiast on the forum. Why don't you start a thread in the social section and I am sure at the next open day someone will go with you.

Here is some track day fun:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=_-NVQgWjdCA

On the practice day before I was passing a Holden R8 :shock:

Wat the??? was he gunning it too??

To be fair the guy couldn't drive, but even still the mates of Rob240 who could drive still were slowing me down in the curves. They had a stock FPV6 and the R26 was quicker :dance:

hmm.. nice the R26 comes with the fatal missing piece to the rs225's puzzle - the LSD... For the extra 15k i could've bought one. Actually this is getting me thinkn, because today I just slammed the brakes really hard to see how good they stop and.. i dunno wasnt impressed by the brembos to be honest it took a while for it to stop from 100kph and while breaking theres a bit of grindy rocky feel. not too sure if its just the way the abs kicks in...

hmm.. nice the R26 comes with the fatal missing piece to the rs225's puzzle - the LSD... For the extra 15k i could've bought one. Actually this is getting me thinkn, because today I just slammed the brakes really hard to see how good they stop and.. i dunno wasnt impressed by the brembos to be honest it took a while for it to stop from 100kph and while breaking theres a bit of grindy rocky feel. not too sure if its just the way the abs kicks in...

Never heard of anyone not happy with the brembos, maybe they needed heat in them? I got the Ferodo Ds2500 like a few guys on here and when they are hot, man they bite pull you up hard.

Got to get some sleep, catch ya later :P

• 1 month later...

X225F1 YOU ARE A BLOODY LEGEND!!!!!!

FIRSTLY WELCOME TO OZRENAULT=]

ITS ABOUT TIME THERE'S SOMEONE THAT WANTS TO BET ALL THOSE ASIAN RICE BURNERS, ALSO YOUR RIGHT IT DOES BOR THE F*#K OUT OF YOU SEEING EVERY PAGE ABOUT 200'S WRX EVO'S CIVIC'S....I JUST WANT TO SEE ATLEAST A FRENCH CAR IN THERE.

THATS WHAT I'M DOING ASWELL I GOT A RENAULT MEGANE 225 CUP AND I'VE GOT BIG DREAMS FOR IT ASWELL I'M PLAINING ON REACHING ABOUT 500HP ATW.....WHICH FOR MOST OF YOU ARE THINKING I'M CRAZY BUT I GUESS WAITING IS THE KEY!!!

I REALLY HATE GERMAN TO AMERICAN TO JAPANESE CARS EVEN AUSSIE CARS...I'M ADDICTED TO FRENCH CARS AND I WANT TO SHOW ALL THOSE ASAIN RICE BURNERS WHOS THE SHOW STOPPER NOW

X225F1 BROTHER I'M WITH YOU ALL THE WAY AND GOOD LUCK