Another newbie hello...

Risque

Hi all,

Firstly, thank you to the Admins for bumping my approval up the list a bit - I managed to get a word in with Mikeee at the AussieFrogs forum (thanks again :D)

I've not yet purchased one of these stellar little pocket rockets, but I'm looking on all the auto websites to get a feel for the market. The OzRenault site is fantastic, and has been a real goldmine of information.

Whilst there aren't too many 182's on the NSW market, I have seen a couple of (seemingly) tidy 172's. I know that the timing belt service at 100K is the most costly one (I've been told it can be in excess of $2,000 - that sound right?), but are there any other major gremlins that I should think to look for?

In terms of warranty, did Renault offer an extended warranty on the 02/03 172's? Whilst I know this has now expired for these models, I just wanted to see whether it was an available option.

Also (if you don't mind me asking), bar the extra 10HP, what would you guys consider the outstanding upgrades between the 172 and 182?

Many thanks guys and gals, I'll keep looking through your great site (I may find the answers there!).

Cheers

Have a look at the stickies on the Clio II section of this forum - I think you will find the answers to most of your questions there.

Especially these two: http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/forum/vie ... highlight=

and

http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/forum/vie ... php?t=4031

And... welcome to the forums. :)

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Chris - I'm based in the Inner West, Sydney. An acquaintance has a 2002 RS Clio with 110K on it (timing belt was done prior to his purchase). I had a drive of it, and fell in love. Considering I'm currently driving a '96 Falcon, the overall tightness of the car just astounded me (I'm so sick of the pillowy suspension on the Ford :().

Itheliving - You're a gentleman, many thanks, this is a huge help.

Griff - Great to be here, and many thanks to the guys who also live on the AussieFrogs forum for so quickly authorising me.

I'm surprised that there are so many that seem to be fairly clean/unmodified, I've only come across one RS Clio 172 which I would avoid (due to excessive mods).

Welcome to the forum :D

I'm surprised that there are so many that seem to be fairly clean/unmodified, I've only come across one RS Clio 172 which I would avoid (due to excessive mods).

Well why improve on perfection?

The Clio is basically modified at the factory, so a lot of modifications can leave you with less power than you began with.

Welcome to the forum :D

Well why improve on perfection?

The Clio is basically modified at the factory, so a lot of modifications can leave you with less power than you began with.

ha 110 on the clock, it was probly your car bremund (big showy wheels = excessive mods :P )

Welcome Risque!

Chris would be annoyed - when you purchase the RSC that'll just add to the number of Inner West members we have here!

The 172 vs 182 used would really be up to personal preference. Have a drive of both and see what you think :wink:

If you are bored on saturday and really can't think of anything to do, bring down the Falcon to Goulburn and meet up the crew at the Nationals meet.

Again, welcome aboard! There are a few 182s and 172s for sale in Sydney, so go check out a few. Alternatively, I know I (and I'm sure other members) wouldn't say no to a quick meet locally to discuss the RSC.

Welcome Risque!

Chris would be annoyed - when you purchase the RSC that'll just add to the number of Inner West members we have here!

Joining the fold soon buddy, although ill be more inner than you i think hombre

ha 110 on the clock, it was probly your car bremund (big showy wheels = excessive mods :P )

This car I spotted had over 110K on it, and the ad indicated that he was regretfully selling the car because of licence suspension (that tended to turn me off it a bit :oops: ).

I'd be down to Goulburn in a flash if I wasn't going to a damned wedding on Saturday, but I'll be checking the site on Monday for some of the happy snaps!

As for the 172 -v- 182, there haven't been many online advertised 182's, but one or two seem to have just come on the market... the residual of the extended warranty sounds fairly appealing.

As for the 172 -v- 182, there haven't been many online advertised 182's, but one or two seem to have just come on the market... the residual of the extended warranty sounds fairly appealing.

I know there is a blue 182 Cup with white stripes for sale in Lilyfield... maybe you should check it out? Don't know his situation, but I do remember he had a 172 last year and bought a 182 Cup, which he is now selling

This car I spotted had over 110K on it, and the ad indicated that he was regretfully selling the car because of licence suspension (that tended to turn me off it a bit :oops: ).

Defiantly not me, still have an intact licence :D

Welcome!! The 182 has stiffer suspension, fancy exhausts, better wheels and IMO better colours. However, the 172s are lighter, have all the same mod-cons and are cheaper! I'd suggest driving a few of each and seeing which you prefer 8) and I'm sure there'll be a meet before Xmas (maybe even an Inner West meet) so make sure you get along if you don't have one by then :wink:

Cheers,

Alex

Welcome mate. My 172 cost under a grand for timing belt change at Midas Penrith. I've now done 175000km and haven't had a problem. Bit of a gamble at the time but seems to have paid off. I've got a Remus exhaust and would say I have equal power to a 182 now along with air filter and cat. Would have to agree the 16" 182 wheels do look better though.

Welcome to the coolest car forum in OZ Risque :D

Im surprised no one has mentioned the 182 for sale at $16,500 yet. Check out the for sale forum on here Risque. It looks like a good buy.

As for the 182 v 172 comparisons. the above mentioned differences apply, but the biggest difference is 172 drivers are alot more skillful :lol:

happy postings :wink:

Cheers

Steve