The Where&How of RCS interior rattles (feedback please)

les

As the RCS is famous for its rattles, im starting this post for those of you who like getting ur fingers jammed between facia panels and getting scratched by sharp interior bits etc.. and dont mind a bit of DIY in fixing up rattles..

So let me start..

PROBLEM: Rattle from driver side

FIX: Coming from ESP / dash illumination panel. Can be fixed by taking panel off and just making it sit flush by putting some double sided tape .. etc. on it.

Les

PROBLEM: Passenger dash rattle at 3-4k

FIX: Tightened dash support bar (warranty item)

Les

PROBLEM: Whistling sound from LHS of car @ 110km/h

FIX: Finally found that it was coming from the gap from the LHS plastic wiper/windscreen trim (outside the car - engine bay/windscreen). Give it a bit of a wiggle or tape it up and it dissapears

Les

PROBLEM: rattling rear seats

FIX: after folding them down to carry some large objects they were set back into place properly, looked ok but the bottun that is pushed down to release them was not seated properly causing the rear seat to rattle, just released them agin and foldered them back properly

Thx Vukie

PROBLEM: Rattling passenger seat

FIX: New passenger seat rail fitted - order through your Renault dealer. That's what I've done and the problem has gone now

Thx RSC172

No matter what your dealer tells you, RATTLES ARE COVERED UNDER WARRANTY .. just bust their balls if they refuse to fix it.

Speaking of squeaks ... I dont think its a "problem" as such but the leather on the side of my driver seat squeaks where it touches the plastic mouldings. Any ideas?

Sometimes I hear a rattle but then realise its only my phone rattling in the door handle where i had put it. Bloody phone!

PS.

I occasionally hear an annoying squeaking noise from around the L/H

side of the back seat or maybe the seatbelt area of the passenger seat.

Seems to be the only consistent squeak I get and its not all the time.

Anyone found this one yet?

Finding whats causing the noise is most of the battle. :x

cheers,

I also get a rattle/squeak from the rear passenger area. However it only occurs when I'm driving so finding where exactly that noise is comming from and what causes it certainly poses a problem :?

probably the rear head restrain. I've had this problem before, fixed now and that was the cause.

ta,

I'll check that out. I thought it may be one of the seat belts wiggling around.

Cheers,

no probs, good luck. It may be diferent as with these cars. Are you going to take it into the dealer? Well the dealer found where the noise was coming from, I just told them there's noise, squeaks especialyl every tiem i go over a speed hump or something...

I'm still 3000 Km from the 10K service so I'll just fiddle a bit and see

what I can find. The left rear head rest is the only one thats been

'used' and has been moved up and down a few times so maybe it

needs a tweak. If I can't work it out It'll definately be on the

'to fix' list in the next service.

cheers,

• 3 weeks later...

I've had this squeak coming from my front passenger area and it's driving me CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!.

Renault said that sparying some silicone on the runners should stop it, but it wasn't the problem, it's still there.

Also the rattle from my perspex in the dash is also a constant pain.

Monday Renault is going to have a look at it while it's being serviced, so hopefully this will get sorted. :?

i also have an annoying sound coming from the passenger side, but i have found the problem and it is the plastic trim on the edge of the passenger door. it isn't laying flush an has this annoying sound when i press it in. it is quiet on smooth roads, but get onto parramatta road and its a nightmare. im about 4000kms from my first service so i am going to have to live with it till then. also there is another sound coming from the back that i can hear when the engine decompresses and causes it to vibrate so i'll have to find out what it is before 10000kms.

i also have an annoying sound coming from the passenger side, but i have found the problem and it is the plastic trim on the edge of the passenger door. it isn't laying flush an has this annoying sound when i press it in. it is quiet on smooth roads, but get onto parramatta road and its a nightmare. im about 4000kms from my first service so i am going to have to live with it till then. also there is another sound coming from the back that i can hear when the engine decompresses and causes it to vibrate so i'll have to find out what it is before 10000kms.

Yup, I too have had the same noise.. if someones sitting in the seat, its fine, but if the seat is empty the noise comes back

Yup, I too have had the same noise.. if someones sitting in the seat, its fine, but if the seat is empty the noise comes back

are you sure that it isn't the seat rattling on its runners? this is a common one.

I'm pretty lucky in the rattles department actually. The only one that reeeally gets me is the passanger seat. Its not the fixture at the base of the seat nor the side boulster rubbing against the door trim. It sounds like the actual seat trim (around the shoulder blade area) that squeaks as someone sits or shifts in the seat - something to do with the stiching perhaps. Anyone else know of this squeak?

For Les's sake i'll keep the format going... :wink:

PROB: Seat Trim squeak from around shoulder depression area.

FIX: ....?

• 7 months later...

Problem: rattling rear seats

Fix: after folding them down to carry some large objects they were set back into place properly, looked ok but the bottun that is pushed down to release them was not seated properly causing the rear seat to rattle, just released them agin and foldered them back properly

Problem: when revving very low and its shaky, theres a rattle coming from back underside of car where exhaust pipe is,

Fix:? difficult to find as it only happens when i'm driving.

take it to an renault (if still under warranty) or an exhaust place, tell em to hoist it up and rev it.. they will find it straight away - theres your fix!

PROB: quite annoying constant rattle (mostly occurs on any sort of rought or bumpy bitumen) coming from what seems like the rear end of the drivers door just over my right shoulder. Had a fiddle with the dressing plastic on the door but to no avail. Doesn't seem to really change with window up or down.

FIX: .anyone....?

• 1 month later...
PROB: quite annoying constant rattle (mostly occurs on any sort of rought or bumpy bitumen) coming from what seems like the rear end of the drivers door just over my right shoulder. Had a fiddle with the dressing plastic on the door but to no avail. Doesn't seem to really change with window up or down.

FIX: .anyone....?

Sounds similar to a sound i had/have again. It was the seatbelt restraint fixing behind the plastic at the top, just needed to be tightened up. I didnt do it so i'm

not exactly sure what to do, but apparently you need to remove the plastic door trim on the b piller inside. I'm gonna have to do it as well, as it is now happening on the other side of the car as well!

Let us know how it goes,

Any suggestions on removing the above mentioned b piller door trim?

thanks

Dash coming off tonight ...

Will provide photos too !

Whats the dash coming off for Les?

as per title .. rattles .. EDIT - FIXED !

Pics? :D

• 2 months later...
I occasionally hear an annoying squeaking noise from around the L/H

side of the back seat or maybe the seatbelt area of the passenger seat.

Seems to be the only consistent squeak I get and its not all the time.

Anyone found this one yet?

Finding whats causing the noise is most of the battle. :x

cheers,

Bio excuse dredging up old posts, I also have a squeak comming from here and have found that it is the top conection point for the seat belt. a bit of silicon seemed to do the job.

Problem: Back hatch rattles

Solution: the latch had come loose, need to use a star shaped bit and a ratchet to tighten. The bolt will take a number of different bits, however to avoid stripping (obviously) use the lagest one you can find. Tightening with a screw driver doesn't cut the mustard...it just works its way loose again.

I am getting a serious bass buzzing from the rear speakers / door pillars any ideas?

Me too!

Just the drivers side though I think. I turn the volume down and it goes away.

I thought I had punched up propeller heads too loud and blown the back speaker.....maybe not if it's a common issue.

I turn the volume down and it goes away.

I can't imagine too many people on this forum would accept that as a fixit Deb :mrgreen:

If you actually want to listen to music in this car it is clear the stereo needs replacing. Until then, turn it off :)

Just got a phone call from Brad the service manager for RD and he will look for the rattle but it's going to cost me $149.50 if it's not a faulty part. And just so you guys know when they offer you a car for the day it's NOT free but $66 a day :evil:

I turn the volume down and it goes away.

I can't imagine too many people on this forum would accept that as a fixit Deb :mrgreen:

If you actually want to listen to music in this car it is clear the stereo needs replacing. Until then, turn it off :)

hahaha - agreed!

Just got a phone call from Brad the service manager for RD and he will look for the rattle but it's going to cost me $149.50 if it's not a faulty part. And just so you guys know when they offer you a car for the day it's NOT free but $66 a day :evil:

How could the rattle not be a faulty part? And what's the $149.50 for?

How could the rattle not be a faulty part? And what's the $149.50 for?

The $149.50 is for one hours investigation, if they find it's cuased by my accident or "wear & tear" then I have to pay for it :evil:

F**k that, they can get stuffed I rather give my money to Paul V and hang ina mates garage than give money to those fools.

And does anybody know if waitara makes you pay for a curtesy car?

RD can suck my nuts :evil:

Waitara are usually really good abot these things. I have a relationship with them but I'm sure they would be happy to help. It may be best to mention it at a service and get it checked rather than take it in just for the rattle, that way they make money out of you on the service and everyone is happy.