Finally got my 172!

Flozza

Hey there. I posted a while ago as I was about to buy a 172 for what was probably too high a price. I ended up not getting it and looking for something else...until I saw the same car advertised for $2000 less a few weeks later.

So I pounced on it. Couldn't be happier. :D

2.jpg

It's a stock 2001 model with now 97,000km on the clock. I got it from Cartwright Euro who did the 100k service.

I've had it for three weeks now and it hasn't set a foot wrong. The only thing that hasn't been perfect was the fact that the rear numberplate is only attached at the top and rattles a bit, so I gotta fix that up and a plastic bit on the driver's door squeaks, but not badly.

I deliver pizzas, so I've been having some fun...but compared to the old Golf I was driving before the limits are just so much higher that I've decided I really need to take it to QLD raceway or somewhere to see what it can do. On the roads I'm just gonna end up losing my license or worse. Another one of those driver training courses is still on the cards as well, plus a run up the dragstrip at Willowbank and a dyno session. I saw on youtube that you guys occasionally do that sort of stuff, so if you'll let me I'd love to tag along some day.

I watched that on SBS the other day. Awesome.

By the way, I'm wondering how long to warm up the engine before I drive off in the morning. It seems a lot of work to try and get some sort of oil temperature gauge, but I really have no clue how long it takes for the oil to warm up. My dad is useless with that sort of stuff and I'm really quite new to the mechanics of a car.

="Flozza

By the way, I'm wondering how long to warm up the engine before I drive off in the morning.

No warm up time required mate, just start her up, and drive off as normal. Keep revs below 3000rpm ish untill she comes up to half. The computer lowers the rev limit until its up to operating temp anyway (cutout is 6k i think when cold, although i wouldn't test that!)

Should reach half on the gauge within 5k's (mine does even on -3 deg mornings)

Enjoy!

I like to run the car for 5 minutes before driving off on a cold morning, I read something interesting in EVO a couple of months ago:

- Revs don't harm a cold engine, load does.

In saying that if you rev it up to 4k and floor it you're at peak torque/load which is worse than flooring it at 2k. Hence the stock temperature based limiter.

By the way, I'm wondering how long to warm up the engine before I drive off in the morning. It seems a lot of work to try and get some sort of oil temperature gauge, but I really have no clue how long it takes for the oil to warm up. My dad is useless with that sort of stuff and I'm really quite new to the mechanics of a car.

I've read somewhere on the forum (search?) that around 75secs, but not to gun the motor. All the safety gear will stop you anyway from hitting the limiter. IMO being winter sometimes my car is parked in the driveway so 0 or -0. Lots of frost... 1 min is sufficient for the defroster/demister to work and i'm on the way.

The Search engine is your friend :mrgreen:

Edit: Dull throttle response when cold?

I like to run the car for 5 minutes before driving off on a cold morning, I read something interesting in EVO a couple of months ago:

- Revs don't harm a cold engine, load does.

In saying that if you rev it up to 4k and floor it you're at peak torque/load which is worse than flooring it at 2k. Hence the stock temperature based limiter.

I warm my car up before I leave (usually walk out brushing my teeth), Anthony there was a article in Evo in the ask the experts section about the best way to warm up a car and the writer asked about the F1 cars how the rev the engine in several quick burst to the limiter, they didn't recommend this as it would piss the neighbors off but it was a valid wa to get oil up into the engine when cold 8)

The Search engine is your friend :mrgreen:

Hmm, yeah, that uneven response and sudden surging was what had me a wondering. I guess I'll just try and be a bit more patient and hope that winter's over soon. :P

Coolest pizza delivery car i've ever heard of :P

Surprising though how often I've had to explain what it is. So when I can I just take them for a ride around the block, which settles any arguments. :wink:

I just watched that what a cracker of a race :twisted:

Good to see the Clio get so much coverage, remember all the static we gave that wheels article where the 380 was rated higher than the Clio, ha vindication I say 8)

Thanks for the posting that on youtube murcod :P

Good pick up dude!!

Enjoy her but make sure you don't get any meat-lovers on the alcantara :wink:

Alex