Eggspurts or experts?

arno

Ummm how does one know the quality of advice given in various forums? I have noticed people giving advice and they quite often sound like experts but are they? Should there be some form of moderating? Or maybe everyone should just be allowed to say anything and let the buyer beware?

Ummm how does one know the quality of advice given in various forums? I have noticed people giving advice and they quite often sound like experts but are they? Should there be some form of moderating? Or maybe everyone should just be allowed to say anything and let the buyer beware?

Who moderates the moderators :shock:

It's like all things on the net, you have to take it with a grain of salt.

Ummm how does one know the quality of advice given in various forums?

Caveat Emptor.

Seriously though, just like any adventure in life, or any decision you make, the amount of research you do is up to you.

A forum is just one avenue to explore. But if you hang around for a while, you will certainly get a good idea of who really knows their stuff, and who is full of pi$$ and thunder. :oops:

Any particular reason why you're asking............???

er.... no .... no .... not at all ....... :wink:

If you think someone (including me) has posted something that isn't factual or logical then let us know. Keep in mind car forums are just a place to discuss various topics and bring people with a common interest together. Thats it.

Everyone's knowledge is limited to certain areas, but why complain about something that is esentially free?

Lastly, its important to think for yourself... :wink:

As far as im concerned that more opinions on somthing the better..

Some people are full of sh!t but their opinions are still worthwhile, as this make your desision even easier to make :D

I'd like to see someone try and remove all the crap from the information superhighway :D:D

*insert job for super google"

Tom

My question (which was not a complaint) was about "quality of advice". If you ask a question and someone answers it in such a way as they sound like an expert then you tend to react to that answer as if it came from an expert. I was just questioning whether there should or could be a scaling system for giving advice? EG someone who is an engineer or background in mechanics could be assigned say three stars. Someone who just enjoys their car and is an enthusiast but no background in mechanics could be a one star. It was just a thought. You already assign status according to number of posts. Anyway what the heck. It got people talking anyway~!

My question (which was not a complaint) was about "quality of advice". If you ask a question and someone answers it in such a way as they sound like an expert then you tend to react to that answer as if it came from an expert. I was just questioning whether there should or could be a scaling system for giving advice? EG someone who is an engineer or background in mechanics could be assigned say three stars. Someone who just enjoys their car and is an enthusiast but no background in mechanics could be a one star. It was just a thought. You already assign status according to number of posts. Anyway what the heck. It got people talking anyway~!

I'm an engineer but I'll tell you now theres a heap I don't know about cars so that discounts that theory :lol:

Seriously, quality of advice is something that is covered in some flashier forum software these days. What happens is that every 'good' post that someone nominates you for adds to your tally and it is listed under your post count. We're not looking to upgrade anytime soon and I don't think phpBB covers this unfortunately.

Without being judgemental you do end up figuring out who knows their stuff on here, and in certain areas. There is a lot of knowledge around the place but a lot of the time you need to fill in the gaps to make up your own mind on what direction to head in.

The other issue is the people side - there are always political and commercial issues at play that shape someone's response in addition to the technical side :)

... and post count means jack! It's not about quantity - it's about qualilty. There's an old proverb that goes something like "We've been given two ears and one mouth, so listen twice as much as you speak"... So what I'm saying is, some people post a lot, but if that includes simple emoticon replies, it's adding to their count but not adding any substance :wink:

There are many members in our forum alone who have very low post counts after months or even years of membership, but I'd certainly take heed of what they have to say in an important discussion as I know that they either have experience in the topic, have their profession to back them up, or simply because they explain their case in a logical & level headed manner.

If one is to rely simply on another's single opinion on something, then that is treading on thin ice if you cannot establish how credible either they are or the opinion they give. An opinion will only be misguiding if it is stated as fact though... as long as you're aware that it is only an opinion then you should be able to use that information to guide your own thoughts in analysing whatever it is you're trying to work out. Many opinions and experiences on the one topic will certainly assist you in deciding which way your thoughts should lead.

But yes, caveat emptor indeed! This is the internet after all!!

Hey, very good replies - thanks for your comments. I wont go on and on about this but I will say that it both amuses me and concerns me to see people giving advice (like experts) when I can see that they are not. I do however defend their right to say whatever they like and as you suggest it is all to be taken in the context of a forum on the internet. One good thing is that I imagine that everyone here has a common interest in the renault mobile and here is a good place to share ideas both good and bad.

Any in conclusion thanks for the great replies.

... and post count means jack! It's not about quantity - it's about qualilty.

Yep too true! Plenty of people on forums are "post whores" who spend 95% of their time either in the "off topic" section or filling the "Tech" sections of car forums with mindless dribble... :roll: They do this because they feel better having a large post count, but it can degrade the forum and discourage people with serious questions from joining or posting.

That's part of the reason I've previously suggested that hidden post counts are a good idea. :wink: It will discourage this sort of poster.

**** oh yeah, nobody take offense to the above comments- I frequent a number of vehicle forums. :D

Hey, very good replies - thanks for your comments. I wont go on and on about this but I will say that it both amuses me and concerns me to see people giving advice (like experts) when I can see that they are not. I do however defend their right to say whatever they like and as you suggest it is all to be taken in the context of a forum on the internet. One good thing is that I imagine that everyone here has a common interest in the renault mobile and here is a good place to share ideas both good and bad.

Any in conclusion thanks for the great replies.

You've got the right idea there Arno.

Its all about putting the 'advice' into perspective and making up your own mind in the end.

I've no technical qualifications regarding cars or motorsport, just a few decades of experience

in the sport and a few self taught mechanical skills grovelling under antique computerless cars.

So beware of my advice, its seriously deficient in qualifications. :mrgreen:

cheers,

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...