My production touring RSC works now. watch on SBS on sunday.

evilb66

Hi all,

My black RSC (an '02 172) got carded at Wakefield last year, where it lives awaiting each round of the AMRS PTCC. I bought the car off ebay for $8k after an accident, and after almost a year of stuffing around I have finally got it working ok.

I entered 2 rounds of the ptcc last year (adelaide and winton) but because the car wouldn't turn left properly I didn't enjoy winton much.

It then sat around in and out of workshops for 6 months before finally getting sorted by one of the mechanics at wakefield (who was sick of seeing it lying around not being driven)

Many many thanks to Shelton Loughrey at Wakefield!!!

Anyway, I did 1 day of practice, then entered it in last weekends round 1, at wakefield. It's not perfect, especially under brakes, but you don't need a perfect car to have fun.

SO......I did OK. I am in class B, and while I didn't win, I at least flogged the pug 206gti180, (which is important) I couldn't match the lap times of the Byers mitsu 380, but I'm happy enough. My quickest lap was 1:14.35, (best on standard tyres is 1:15.8 )

I'm hoping to run the full 8 rounds this year, next round is winton in late april.

Hopefully I will give you guys something to cheer about.

.........and does anyone have any experience with powerchips, or other ECU reproggramming. thepowerchip website advertises a gain of 14kW and 20nM, which sounds pretty good for $990. I live in canberra and can't get much renault advice there.

I think the TV coverage for last weekends race is this sunday (mar 04) on SBS at midday.

ciao, bryan

Hi all,

My black RSC (an '02 172) got carded at Wakefield last year, where it lives awaiting each round of the AMRS PTCC. I bought the car off ebay for $8k after an accident, and after almost a year of stuffing around I have finally got it working ok.

I entered 2 rounds of the ptcc last year (adelaide and winton) but because the car wouldn't turn left properly I didn't enjoy winton much.

It then sat around in and out of workshops for 6 months before finally getting sorted by one of the mechanics at wakefield (who was sick of seeing it lying around not being driven)

Many many thanks to Shelton Loughrey at Wakefield!!!

Anyway, I did 1 day of practice, then entered it in last weekends round 1, at wakefield. It's not perfect, especially under brakes, but you don't need a perfect car to have fun.

SO......I did OK. I am in class B, and while I didn't win, I at least flogged the pug 206gti180, (which is important) I couldn't match the lap times of the Byers mitsu 380, but I'm happy enough. My quickest lap was 1:14.35, (best on standard tyres is 1:15.8 )

I'm hoping to run the full 8 rounds this year, next round is winton in late april.

Hopefully I will give you guys something to cheer about.

.........and does anyone have any experience with powerchips, or other ECU reproggramming. thepowerchip website advertises a gain of 14kW and 20nM, which sounds pretty good for $990. I live in canberra and can't get much renault advice there.

I think the TV coverage for last weekends race is this sunday (mar 04) on SBS at midday.

ciao, bryan

Welcome ot OzRS :mrgreen:

Looking forward to seeing the Race on SBS. Glad to see you flogged the 206GTi 180 :lol:

Good Luck. And go the RSC!

v 8)

Hi brian,

First of all welcome :) , do a search on the chips mate there have been discussions on it before. the figures quoted on the site won't be achieved that's pretty much the idea going around. there is improved throttle reponse etc but power output is minimal. In sydney i know that there is talk of re-flashing the standard chip (which is what powerchip do) with group n settings that might go for half that price but there haven't been many posts lately about that development. anyway enjoy ur stay on the forum

Cheers

Trev

I just had a deeper look around the forum. I probably shouldn't have mentioned powerchip.

opened up a can of stale whoopass by the looks of it. :twisted:

:lol: hmmmm.

If you get the opportunity (& you may have beatin me to it) join up at Aussiefrogs. Hans in the red 206Gti is also in the AMRS PTTC. Funnily enough I did watch the PTTC last season and the SBS commentary team weren't too kind to some of the cars. :wink:

I'm sure it'll put the wind in some of the sails.

Speedweek Sun 4th March :) 12:00pm

yea stay away from powerchip and unichip... bit of a no no,, get your self s fully programable management if you can spend the cash.. well worth it for the added gains you can get later down the track!

I saw the Clio in action on Speedweek today. Looked great but I was a little disappointed in the coverage.

There was a fair bit of footage of the Pug and also the last placed Satria Gti but hardly any of the RSC.

I'm not even sure the commentators knew what the car was...it was only mentioned as car 66 :(

Anyway, congrats on getting the car to this stage and I look forward to seeing more of it in the future :wink:

Yes well done, seen the footage as i was passing by a TV in the local market!! and was like wow.. i know that car... it was carded last year...

Well done..

btw: i'm looking into a Haltech ecu for the RSC, i have just had Haltech look into an adaptor loom if your interested.

Hey Bryan.

Well done. Saw the footage this arvo. Wasn't much of course, but the coverage of race 3, there obviously was a problem with the 206 (Hans) some nice in-car coverage as well. Will they (AMRS or Speedweek) put cameras in some or all of the cars further down the track?

Good luck with the rest of the season.

Hey Bryan.

Well done. Saw the footage this arvo. Wasn't much of course, but the coverage of race 3, there obviously was a problem with the 206 (Hans) some nice in-car coverage as well. Will they (AMRS or Speedweek) put cameras in some or all of the cars further down the track?

Good luck with the rest of the season.

A camera in your car costs $500, but if I can keep doing ok maybe I could try to hit renault Aus up for it.

I'm glad some of you guys saw what little footage there was. It seems like the coverage was a bmw only affair.

Next round is at winton in late april.

Hi Bryan

Welcome to the Forum, and well done on getting the 172 into the fray, I've just read this thread of yours for the first time, but I WAS watching Speedweek Sunday and there you were! Well done on thumping the Pug, and can you tell me where those bloody Beemer 1's get their go from ? Whatever have they done to them, because they're a useless heap of crap on the road standard, wouldn't get anywhere near a 172 normally, but they were uncatchable on Sunday. Were they a special racing import, or locally turbo improved or what? Love to know. And how do the classes work in that race ,..... there seemed to be A ,B and C groups in the same race, all sorts of different capacities ,....XR8's and 380's included, surely there must be class awards with YOU right up there, or is it all one class under a certain price range or something ?

Getting back to your 172 and chips etc,...........I had fantastic success with my old 172 using a Unichip piggyback ECU, which are interchangeable,and just need to be wired/tuned into your particular car,.........amongst other successes ,it won me the Australian Hillclimb Championship in my class in 05. Dyno sheets show 106.7 KW ATFW

They need good breathing to work at their max,but I'm sure you've attended to that already. I paid $300 secondhand for mine , plus the wiring in $300,....

Just a word of warning , they need to be kept cool for total reliability, so mount it in a cool place, not behind the existing ECU

Give me a yell if there's ever anything I might be able to help with

Good luck

Peter Emes 0413 133233

• 2 weeks later...

heya emu,

To answer your class questions, they are pwr/weight classes. Class a is ender 8 kg/kW, class b is 8 - 10 kg/kW and class c is above 10.. so my 172 is in b, but a 182 would be in a. a 197 would be in b.

The bmw 130's have been almost untouchable since their introduction. I have never seen them pressured. I like to think if I had a 182 i'd give them some more to think about. Some of the cars (myself included) are running on a pretty slim budget, and I have no race experience, whereas others (beemers) have a lot of recing, go karting and money behind them. the 2 bm drivers also run 320i super tourers.

and I can't get anyone at renault aus to answer my calls or emails. I've learnt more from this forum than renault or anyone else.

so, thanks. all of ya. I've read my way through almost all of the forums, trying to soak it all up.

for no reason at all I shall finish with my favourite smiley :twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

Bryan, what sort of KW ATFW are you getting ? I may or may not be able to help

What wheels and tyres do you have ?

Do you have a quaife diff ? What shockers and camber do you use ?

Incidentally , do you know how those 130's are modified ? I'm sure standard 130's don't perform anything like that !

Cheers Pete

It definitely sounds like they have spent money, keeping the cars just within the boundaries of the regs.

From memory the 130i cars were running close to 1:10 consistently at Wakefield. IMO it would be near impossible to get near that with an RSC.

hmmm you would have to shave of 5-4 seconds to your lap times, to keep up with the 130s, is the car stripped out?

also on the topic of management im going to get the Euro4 done on mine.. paul and pat from autoparis/compertition systems seem to know what

they are on about, once ive consolidated some cash it will be a go.

http://www.compsystems.com.au/Products/Engine%20Control/EFIEuro/euro4.htm

i dont do this with the intention of leaving it there,, wanna do headwork and cams, and if i get the chance the bottom end as well.

all of that while keeping the stock intake plenum with a port job done on it.

should be good for 120-130kwatw. :wink: hopfully...

im sick of being overtaken by v8's

hey evilb66!

Goodluck with your car, good to see you running again.

Why have you chosen to run 16's? The cup cars in Europe run 15's.

What sort of mods are you allowed to do? Suspension? Breathing? etc Maybe if you post the rules, we can help with some advice on your mods.

MRPEA: No need for the Euro4 IMO, EFIOZ can re-map the standard ECU. It's overkill unless you are running TB's IMO.

Hey everyone. Thanks for taking an interest. Hopefully you're all not going to be ashamed of me when you find out how clueless/new to this I am.

Q Why 16" rims. A My car came with dented rims, and I was having trouble finding 15x7's aftermarket. I bought the rims I have because they were hell cheap (with 3 corn flake coupons) $780 with tyres (grotty falkens)

Q do I have a quaife diff? A No, I don't have an LSD, but they are allowed. I saw them on the ktec site, they seem pretty spendy. I assume they are about 2.5K plus installation by the time they get here. I had a bit of a look for phantom grip things, (as that's what a few of the other cars are running) but there doesn't seem to be one for the clio. pity. I could've afforded one of those. What's the consensus on quaife diffs. Paul at auto paris tried talking me out of the idea.

Q what sort of ATFW kw's am i getting? A My car has never seen a dyno (Oh the shame. There I said it)

Basically here's a rundown on the mods we are allowed.

Any or no exhaust after the cat. (I'm running no rear muffler)

any springs/dampers (I've got yellow konis with lowered eibachs. which are too soft. I've already swapped the front eibachs for stiffer springs, cant recall the brand. I plan to put something stiffer at the back too)

a bit of freedom with wheels/tyres (up to an inch bigger and wider) must be street legal (ie semis)

better brakes (but no bigger) Honestly I am still running OE renault pads (shame shame)

a front splitter and rear wing. wing must fit in with cars profile when viewed from above and behind (ie no higher than roof, no further back than bumper)

better air filters (must mount as per standard) so no pods, or cold air ducts (I finally put in a green cotton panel filter)

plugs and high tension leads can be changed

Air con can be ditched. (I'm hoping to do this in a few weeks)

ECU can be reproggrammed or swapped. (ditto this. What was the talk on the forum about group N ecu reflashes for $500. I would like to know who's doing them, and where?)

We can fit an lock or lim-slip diff.

I could save me another 11kgs by swapping the passenger seat for another carbon fibre one. (it has to be the standard seat, or identical to the drivers seat. So it would cost me $600)

We can use any go faster bits provided they are available over the counter from renault (but I can't even get anyone from renault to tell me if there are any such things) I was thinking a 182 manifold might be a go-er

Heres some things we CAN'T Do.

No lightweight body panels

no engine massaging of internals

no forged pistons etc

no stripping the interior.

the full regs are available at www.ptcc.net.au then click on compete.

I've put in a lighter (19Ahr) battery. and my rims are light (about 5.9kgs each) and I trimmed my beard to save weight.

Where would be a good place in sydney to get work done on my car. I've spoken to auto paris in melb, but they are a long way away from f*ing canberra. (and paul seemed to have a certain disregard for the ptcc regulations, which I do not share. stupid christian upbringing :evil::evil: )

Anyway, thanks and stuff. I don't actually have any mates that like cars (other than dan, who races the hyundai sonata in the PTCC) so this oz ren sport thing is a real help for me.

I'm rapidly becoming less of a gumby about all things mechanical. So much so that I am considering training at tafe in mechanics) I currently own a pub/club thing. (which I started in the hope of making lots of money so I could indulge in a spot of motorsport) :twisted::twisted:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Bryan, is there a round coming up in Adelaide soon that you might be going to? I found a couple of people (including you) talking about it on the OzSpeed(?) forum- but no mention of when it is?

Edit- don't worry, I found it! http://www.ptcc.net.au/e_timetable.php?Eid=764

So are you coming over?

(interesting specs on your Clio here http://www.ptcc.net.au/cars.php?cid=117 - six speed gearbox, 259mm front discs and rear drums!? :lol: )

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome Bryan. It was me who carded your race car last year. Glad to hear that you've found the site and it has been of assistance. You might want to try the adjustable rear swaybar and front camber pins from Whiteline in Sydney. A few of the guys have fitted these to their road cars. The adjustable bar in particular is thought to be pretty damn effective. I'm assuming of course that both of these mods are allowed. Good luck with the rest of the season.

img0750aa2.th.jpg

(interesting specs on your Clio here http://www.ptcc.net.au/cars.php?cid=117 - six speed gearbox, 259mm front discs and rear drums!? :lol: )

yeah. pretty accurate specs huh. they left out the roof mounted jet turbine and active aero package. and that it runs on vegetable scraps.

I am definitely planning to do the ***EDIT***brissie (june) and adelaide (july) rounds.

Hi Bryan, good to hear you're making Adelaide in June, plenty of us here are happy to help in pits/preparation if you need it

Also accommodation shouldn't be a problem, I for one have a spare bed, or ,if you prefer, I manage a few Holiday Units in my Real Estate business, so might have something there avail for you

Cheers Pete 0413 133233

Hang on , whats this about June? Calendar sez 13/14/15 July wots correct ?

yep, you're right. I messed up. it's bris in june, adelaide in july. I haven't heard anything about AIR not being a goer, but then I don't live in adelaide.

• 2 months later...