Long time lurker, first time owner - Clio 172

jchook23

Hi all,

First time frenchie owner here after a long line of pretty varied JDM cars and currently an I30N (which I still have).

Managed to pick up a pretty clean Clio 172 after years of wanting one and it doesn't disappoint. That lightweight feel and N/A induction roar/response is so addictive!

2002, 119kms with a well documented service history and well kept paintwork/interior - I was hard pressed to find something in this condition in Melbourne! It drives and feels pretty tight but does have the following niggles:

- Slightly loose (rocking) drivers seat - is the fix as simple as tightening up the mounting bolts or do the seat mounts end up with excessive play after 20+ years?

- The previous owner changed the top mounts, but there are some clunking noises at low speed when turning the steering wheel. I was advised the new mounts need bedding in. Is this a thing or has the install gone wrong?

My plan is to keep it fairly OEM+ and enjoy it for what it is, hoping to use it as a weekender and blast it through the hills. I've done the whole track car thing and hate the compromises that come with building a car that is too focused! An aftermarket intake, some wheels and swapping out the steering wheel are probably the first things on the list, but at the moment just loving it bone stock!

Looking forward to hopefully meeting some fellow owners along the way.

JC

PXL_20230914_092632678~2.jpg

PXL_20230914_081122793~2.jpg

PXL_20230914_081245271~2.jpg

• Like 16

Welcome and congrats!

Which engine mounts did the PO install?

I can recommend a Clio 3 (197/200) steering wheels and a nice set of OZ or Speedline 16s :)

Enjoy!

• Like 2

Looks like a cracker! Great find, not that many good ones left!

I would check the seat mount bolts, access is from under the car under two rubber grommets on the outer and tucked up near the exhaust on the inner.

Not sure on the top mounts, worth checking the springs are seats correctly as well though.

Edited by Matt205
  • Like 2

I would check the seat mount bolts, access is from under the car under two rubber grommets on the outer and tucked up near the exhaust on the inner.

I checked all the seat mounting nuts yesterday, they were all tight. I think the issue lies in the mounting nuts from the seat to the rail, have you ever encountered this coming loose?