Might be back...help with car choice please!

jpgibson

Have been on here, on and off, for 15 years. First RS was a 182 Cup ( new), then 172, 197, RS250 Trophee then R26. Interspersed Liberty B4, S3, WRX, 3x Abarth 595's ( 2 Comps), GR Yaris.

My work situation is chaning and I'm going from pushies and a motorbike to needing a car again. My last car ( the GR) was a fantastically engineered beast but a little boring compared to the 595's- which I loved. I sold my last 595 to buy the GR as I was spending a lot more time on the freeway.

There are a couple of really nice cars for sale on here at the moment. I am also considering a second hand i30N as an option.

Ease of living with is important- and I remember the trek  to Carlton to see Paul V being somewhat of a pain- but worth it in terms of work. The GR was a dream as there are no shortages of Toyota places.

So if I'm coming back to a RS, do I get the Series 3 or 4?

I managed to live with the 595 Comp's suspension, so I suspect I'll survive any of the RS'.

Edited by jpgibson

• jpgibson changed the title to Might be back...help with car choice please!

With that car history, you seem capable of putting up with hardcore cars.  I’d suggest one of the Mk 3 Trophy Rs for sale right now. They are the best of the Mk 3, and most of them have relatively low km. I am seeing a few Mk 3s on the forum having mechanical issues - if I was going to get another one, it’d be very low km with a peerless service history.

The Mk 4 is softer, not as iconic, but still a great car.

I’ve had 8.08s, an R26, a Trophy R and an RS280. All great - but the Trophy R was ‘the one’.

And DONT give up motorbikes! EVER!! 

Thanks! Still got a CRF450L ( with a LOT spent on adventurising it) , an eMTB and a hardtail ( which I'll get rid of as I'm too old not to have suspension at both ends)

23 minutes ago, jpgibson said:

Thanks! Still got a CRF450L ( with a LOT spent on adventurising it) , an eMTB and a hardtail ( which I'll get rid of as I'm too old not to have suspension at both ends)

👍👍

I’m thinking about an eMTB, just so I can venture further without wiping myself out! 

Highly recommended-unfortunately they've become stoopid expensive. My Merida E 160 900 has been flawless for 5 years!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jpgibson said:

hardtail

Mate im 40 and the only bike you ever need is a Hardtail!

Back on topic, I’d be suggesting having a serious look at @abb6027s Megane 4. They’re quick when needed and being a modern car, comfortable when not. Mine has been flawless other than a swirl flap issue that Renault sorted out under warranty. There is no difference in suspension from the Cup to the Trophy models, and the only thing you lose out on is the bi-modal exhaust but thats relatively easy to fix with a res-delete. @abb6027s car has the Bose and Alcantara interior so the best blend of options. 

Compared to the Mk3, the Mk4 has a modern emissions engine, using a timing chain, is based on a Nissan 4 pot and has the same gearbox and diff and uses a very similar hub and brake setup as the Mk3 so you don’t miss out on much. Maybe the Recaros but then the OEM Mk4 seats are exceptional. They just don’t have a brand name other than ‘RS’ on them.

If you want to put people in the back you can, and something the i30N or the new Civic don’t have, rear air vents. 

Good luck finding your new car. Sounds like it’s going to be hard shoes to fill. Incidentally did you have your 595 tuned?

I had the 595 Turismo with a Bluespark box. I didn't feel the need to do anything to the comp.- old skool turbo lag FTW! I've decided, like I have with motoirbikes, it's more fun riding/driving a slow bike/car fast than a fast bike/car slow. The GR Yaris never got over 3.5-4k rpm!

Meg4 is defs an option- as is a Mk8 Fiesta ST. They're all around the same price. I won't get another Abarth 595 Comp, but I'd consider the 124...maybe.

On 20/03/2023 at 7:33 PM, jpgibson said:

I'd consider the 124

Drive one first. I was all geared up to buy one and then I drove it and hated it. Doesn't sound as good as the 595s (multi air instead of t jet), ride is crashy, cockpit very tight and the way it just sort of boosts and then it's all over very quickly, almost like a diesel - to me that's not the nature I want in a light roadster. 

• Like 1

Hi, First time on this forum, just bought a 2015 RS 275 looking to learn as much about the cats as possible, issues, best mods etc.

my version is the Cup Premium.

thanks,

Justin

Newcastle

50 minutes ago, jpgibson said:

Don’t hate me… I bought a Jimny!

Love it! Cool car.

On 19/03/2023 at 2:38 PM, jpgibson said:

Highly recommended-unfortunately they've become stoopid expensive. My Merida E 160 900 has been flawless for 5 years!

I bourght a lightly used Merida eOne Sixty 700 off gumtree for $5000 3 months ago (90kms on the odo).

Its been such an awesome new hobby so far. I can fit it in the boot of my Levorg GTS. But I am now looking at selling that and getting a MK7 Golf GTI with a tow bar. It seems like its the only hot hatch that you can actually fit a tow bar on.

2 minutes ago, zarnow said:

I bourght a lightly used Merida eOne Sixty 700 off gumtree for $5000 3 months ago (90kms on the odo).

Its been such an awesome new hobby so far. I can fit it in the boot of my Levorg GTS. But I am now looking at selling that and getting a MK7 Golf GTI with a tow bar. It seems like its the only hot hatch that you can actually fit a tow bar on.

Legally yes! There's an Abarth 595 Comp with one on carsales and I had a Meg R26 which I had one fitted- the muffler guy/mechanic did not enjoy the fitting experience AND I got spooked about the legalities...so bought a WRX with one!

4 minutes ago, zarnow said:

Yes that would be helpful a tow bar fir a bike rack. None of my cars can fit one and the Honda says it isn’t rated to tow anything…

4 hours ago, jpgibson said:

Legally yes! There's an Abarth 595 Comp with one on carsales and I had a Meg R26 which I had one fitted- the muffler guy/mechanic did not enjoy the fitting experience AND I got spooked about the legalities...so bought a WRX with one!

Haha omg. Out of all the cars. I didn't expect that the Abarth to be legally able to have a tow bar. Shame the missus hates them. The Golf GTI is a much easier sell...
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2019-abarth-595-competizione-manual/SSE-AD-14410329/?Cr=0

image.thumb.png.1f1e4d87108434668478b976d8647e32.png
image.png.b9a1011548f1b8b2d0b312f40eb09ddf.png

• Like 1