Hi all new to Renault rs megane 808 oil question.

AndyHank1212

Hi, I just purchased a 2012 meg 3 rs 808 (no48) in liquid yellow. I’m very happy with it. It’s all stock standard mechanically.  This car was owned new by someone on this forum.
Just a question about oil/filters. What’s best for vehicle. 

Edited by AndyHank1212
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AndyHank1212 said:

Hi, just purchased a 2012 meg 3 rs 808 in liquid yellow. I’m very happy with it. It’s all stock standard mechanically. 
just a question about oil/filters. What’s best for vehicle. 

IMHO Elf Evolution 900 SXR full synthetic oil and Baldwin or OEM oil filter .....................

Edited by slick

• AndyHank1212 changed the title to Hi all new to Renault rs megane 808 oil question.

Definitely a fun car.

I had the same questions after I got my RS250 Trophy - particularly in that it is primarily used as a track car, so gets worked pretty hard.

What I found useful in shortlisting the large number of manufacturers that meet the Renault spec, was looking at "HTHS" viscosity at 150°C" numbers - the higher the better

- A lubricant with low HTHS viscosity improves fuel efficiency.

- A lubricant with high HTHS viscosity offers better protection for engine parts (that's what I look for).

But beware the engine type: Low HTHS oil in an engine designed for high HTHS oil can cause damage.

I've shortlisted the following (see attached data sheets) for my application - I typically see what's the best buy at the time and go for that.  The Ester based oil is only suitable for predominately track use, as the oil needs to be changed much more frequently; I typically change 2-3 times a year.

For filters I go for Purflux Oil Filter LS933. Compared to other brands I've used it seems to have the biggest/most oil return holes. 

Hope this helps

Mobil 1.pdf Shell_5W40_HelixUltra_01.pdf MOTUL 8100 X-CESS8100_X-cess_5W-40_(GB).pdf MOTUL Sport_5W-40_(GB).pdf sport_5w-40_en_fr_motul.pdf

• Like 1

Any full synthetic 5W-40 oil. Don't get caught up in brand wars. Always buy when on sale and keep it handy for the next service.

Genuine Purflux filters. I've run a 932 in the past at a pinch (had one leftover from the R26) but 933 is the factory spec.

Cheers

Justin

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jberth1 said:

Any full synthetic 5W-40 oil. Don't get caught up in brand wars. Always buy when on sale and keep it handy for the next service.

Genuine Purflux filters. I've run a 932 in the past at a pinch (had one leftover from the R26) but 933 is the factory spec.

Cheers

Justin

Not any full synthetic 5w-40 oil. It needs to abide by Renault standards RN0710.

Edited by Dave200

21 minutes ago, Dave200 said:

Not any full synthetic 5w-40 oil. It needs to abide by Renault standards RN0710.

Does the car know the difference? Do Renault? Even if the car was within warranty period, I highly doubt they’ll be sending the oil off to the laboratory for analysis.

I don’t get the slavish addiction to specific oils.  If it’s the right grade and it’s changed when it’s supposed to be changed, it’ll do me.

I guess if you don't give a shit about your car, put whatever you want in it. Low SAPS oil is not good for the F4R and many of the newer premium oils are all low SAPS for emissions.

Renault's level 1 tests for RN0710 dictates a higher exothermic reaction for the suspended detergents and ensuring the stages of decomposition of the oil at different temperatures is managed. Failure of the oil to stand up to the punishment means increased wear over the life of the engine particularly a performance engine that is expected to be worked harder over its lifetime.

1 minute ago, Dave200 said:

I guess if you don't give a shit about your car, put whatever you want in it. Low SAPS oil is not good for the F4R and many of the newer premium oils are all low SAPS for emissions.

Renault's level 1 tests for RN0710 dictates a higher exothermic reaction for the suspended detergents and ensuring the stages of decomposition of the oil at different temperatures is managed. Failure of the oil to stand up to the punishment means increased wear over the life of the engine particularly a performance engine that is expected to be worked harder over its lifetime.

Pretty much any quality synthetic oil will meet or exceed this specification. There is nothing inherently special about the f4r engine. Even something more basic such as Castrol Magnetec has this specification.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, xevman said:

Pretty much any quality synthetic oil will meet or exceed this specification. There is nothing inherently special about the f4r engine. Even something more basic such as Castrol Magnetec has this specification.

no problem with that, as long as it is RN0700/0710 suitable ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave200 said:

^^^^^^ what he said ..............

4 hours ago, Dave200 said:

I DO give a shit about my car and bikes. But then again, I don’t plan on keeping anything until it’s done a few hundred thousand km. Read my comment again - if the oil is the correct grade and is changed regularly, I wouldn’t expect any issues. This is like arguing over what fuel suppliers provides the ‘best’ 98 octane when they all come from the same distributor…

• Like 1

On 23/11/2022 at 3:36 PM, speedfiend41 said:

I DO give a shit about my car and bikes. But then again, I don’t plan on keeping anything until it’s done a few hundred thousand km. Read my comment again - if the oil is the correct grade and is changed regularly, I wouldn’t expect any issues. This is like arguing over what fuel suppliers provides the ‘best’ 98 octane when they all come from the same distributor…

What he said, but yes - a low saps oil is not required.  No problems with particulate filters or inlet valve coking on an F4RT.

Cheers

Justin