Renault Clio RS 200 2014 Tyre help

Straxmorz

1. Go to an online tyre site like tyresales or tyroola.

2. Search by size and see what's available.

3. I'd also suggest you look at 215/40/18 - they are a legal fitment to your car and more common than 205's in that profile and diameter.  In my opinion, they are also a better fit on a 7.5inch wide rim which is what you have.

4. When you see what is available, consider your budget and what you are looking for with regard to performance.  Given it's a sporty car, a high performance street tyre like Michelin Pilot Super Sport is a good choice.  If budget doesn't stretch that far, some of the offerings from Kumho are quite reasonable at about 2/3 the price of the Michelins.  Others may prefer Dunlop, Continentals or some other brand.  Probably avoid the really cheap (no names) like Winrun and Radar.

5. Ask your local tyre shop to price match with tyre sales or tyroola.  Most will and that will be a big discount from what they will quote you up front.

• Like 1

Also, if you want serious performance, 225/40/18 is also a valid choice and far, far more choices, including some ultra high performance, street legal semi-slicks suitable fro track use.  Hankook RS-4s are my personal favourite in this category.

225/40/18 is just. By a whisker, illegal

Cops may not notice the difference but you could have issues if you make an insurance claim. 

also there is anecdotal evidence that the car doesn’t handle as well on 225/40s

my car had 205s on it when i bought it. Switched to 215s because there are more options and better prices. But I feel the car was better on the 205s. Just bought 4 new tyres and stuck to 215s anyway

11 minutes ago, Deet said:

Cops may not notice the difference but you could have issues if you make an insurance claim. 

my car had 205s on it when i bought it. Switched to 215s because there are more options and better prices. But I feel the car was better on the 205s. Just bought 4 new tyres and stuck to 215s anyway

Yes, you are correct.  But a whisker indeed - overall diameter increase of 16mm.  15mm is the limit in most states.

I've certainly heard several reports of the handling being better on the narrower (more stretched) tyre.  

45 minutes ago, Deet said:

I personally think it’s less to do with tyre width than tyre weight. More unsprung weight makes a big difference when changing direction or reacting to bumps.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, speedfiend41 said:

I personally think it’s less to do with tyre width than tyre weight. More unsprung weight makes a big difference when changing direction or reacting to bumps.

I suspect that could be a factor as well

2 hours ago, Caduceus said:

1. Go to an online tyre site like tyresales or tyroola.

2. Search by size and see what's available.

3. I'd also suggest you look at 215/40/18 - they are a legal fitment to your car and more common than 205's in that profile and diameter.  In my opinion, they are also a better fit on a 7.5inch wide rim which is what you have.

4. When you see what is available, consider your budget and what you are looking for with regard to performance.  Given it's a sporty car, a high performance street tyre like Michelin Pilot Super Sport is a good choice.  If budget doesn't stretch that far, some of the offerings from Kumho are quite reasonable at about 2/3 the price of the Michelins.  Others may prefer Dunlop, Continentals or some other brand.  Probably avoid the really cheap (no names) like Winrun and Radar.

5. Ask your local tyre shop to price match with tyre sales or tyroola.  Most will and that will be a big discount from what they will quote you up front.

Awesome, thank you very much!

@Straxmorz

1.Bridgestone RE003's if cost is a factor

2. Michelin Pilot Sport 4's if cost is no option as its a huge upgrade (speaking from experience) , especially in wet weather. softer compound too compared to the bridgestones so a little more comfortable.

Go for 215/40/18 and thank me later , 205 to 215 is a big deal , 215-225 not so much

6 minutes ago, NTRDR said:

@Straxmorz

1.Bridgestone RE003's if cost is a factor

2. Michelin Pilot Sport 4's if cost is no option as its a huge upgrade (speaking from experience) , especially in wet weather. softer compound too compared to the bridgestones so a little more comfortable.

Go for 215/40/18 and thank me later , 205 to 215 is a big deal , 215-225 not so much

I'm not able to find re003's in 215/40/18s

Also quick question in regards to going from 205/215s will that throw out my speedo? I heard that changing tyre sizes does that? or is that more to do with profile?

@Straxmorz

https://tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/

input the sizes and it will tell you (the answer is yes , but by a Bee's dick)

If you are having trouble finding the RE003's the next best would be the Michelin Pilot Super Sport  https://www.tempetyres.com.au/tyreproducts?michelin-2154018-89y-pilot-super-sport

*FYI not affiliated with this company , i have purchased many tyres from these guys before and the prices and service is good and hard to match*

Edited by NTRDR

RE003s are not available in any size to suit the clioIV :(

The speedo will be out with both 205s and 215s

on 215s my speedo always reads 3klm higher than the  actual car speed

On 07/10/2019 at 2:01 PM, Straxmorz said:

Awesome man, cheers for the help.

I'm going to go pilot super sports 215/40/18.

Thanks guys!

Good choice.  You should be happy with the results.  What were the old tyres you had on it?

1 hour ago, Caduceus said:

Good choice.  You should be happy with the results.  What were the old tyres you had on it?

Pzeros. I bought this on the 1st, I've only used them for a few weeks but their pretty worn and need changing

Edited by Straxmorz