driving courses...

abe

howdy,

just wondering about the value of doing a driving course. Have any of you done one? Which are worthwhile?

I found these 2 some time ago - both around $800 with your own car (important).

http://www.murcotts.com.au/performanceprogram2.php

http://www.finlays.com.au/pages/racedrivercourse.html

I think this is the first performance mod i'm going to make :)

Alternatively, I think i'd get a lot out of going for a track day now and then - any advice here?

cheers

Thats alot of money.... Maybe it would be more worth your while and taking it to the track and learn an feel your own car yourself...... There is a track day organized coming up maybe you should go to that one first..... trust me you will learn alot for only $100

http://www.ianluff.com.au

These courses come recommended by others, but I have not personally attended. I plan to in the near future however.

my farjar has done 2 courses there & REALLY enjoyed them... he reckons they were very worthwhile 8)

thanks for the responses guys. I think a track day sounds like a good idea... I like the idea of finding the cars limits in relative safety. I don't really know (or want to find) the limits of the car on the road and I reck'n upgrading the handling of the car only defers this issue - thanks though Toiny! In time...

I personally think the best option is to do what ClioF1 did and find a track day which has instructors. You'll learn heaps about all aspects of driving your car including seating position, the hard braking points for your car, the right lines to take through corners (and I personally think that this makes a BIG difference) and also have a chance to punt your little beasty as fast as you can cope with.

:D

I personally think the best option is to do what ClioF1 did and find a track day which has instructors. You'll learn heaps about all aspects of driving your car including seating position, the hard braking points for your car, the right lines to take through corners (and I personally think that this makes a BIG difference) and also have a chance to punt your little beasty as fast as you can cope with.

:D

Yeah that's probably the best bet Wade... the Luff course sounds like the go! 8)

I did Ian Luff - Stage one. It was great fun, and a real eye opener! When money rolls in, I might do stage 3.

I spoke to a guy who lives up the road from me, and owns a HSV Avalanche (you know, the HSV interpretation of a Adventura V8) and was on my stage 1 day. He moved up to stage 3, and said it was very fun, and great to learn the limits of the AWD. He recommended I do it.

So there you go....

(no surprise im posting here :P )

If you do a track day & push it... then you come unstuck... what do you do? a wall perhaps?

I did all 3 Luffy courses, all up about $800-900 & HIGHLY recommended.

#1 pretty boring in a RSC, with abs

#2 SOOOOO much fun, skid control... spend all day sideways

#3 Track time, REALLY valuable techniques learnt here!

I did track days after the courses & would recommend doing it the way i did.

I'm going to move this thread to FAQ - good stuff.

edit - forgot to mention that I've done Finlay (a v.long time ago) and Luff Stage 2 (this year). Both were excellent and I'd highly recommend them. I've also done quite a few track days and club motorsport events. You need to decide where you're at before getting into a serious track day. There's good value in heading down to Wakefield Park for the day during the week when its quiet, but if you have no idea t all about performance driving I'd be recommending a course of some sort first.

It sounds like an Ian Luff Stage 2.5 day would be a good idea (like the Altezza guys do every year), would we get enough cars from OZRS to get a discount though?

I'd be in with a discount :D

I contacted Ian Luff and Heidi from there is going to give me a call... i'll ask about group discounts for ozrenault sport-sters and if promising get numbers...

I'm very keen and will be doing the 3 everyday driver courses Nate mentions...

• 2 months later...