First Renault just purchased

Damoz

Hi,

I just picked up my first Clio 172, mostly stick to two wheels but all my mates have Porsche 911's now and they are a little out of my price range at the moment. Plan on doing a few track days etc. with it so keen to hear of any events and drives that may be coming up.

Clio 172.jpg

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Damoz said:

Hi,

I just picked up my first Clio 172, mostly stick to two wheels but all my mates have Porsche 911's now and they are a little out of my price range at the moment. Plan on doing a few track days etc. with it so keen to hear of any events and drives that may be coming up.

Clio 172.jpg

Nice car - congrats.

? is it lowered, has there been any work done on it for the track.

Yes it has Eibach springs, Koni adjustable shocks, Whiteline rear sway bar, Hel braided brake lines, Slotted rotors and some ridiculously loud exhaust which I will have to change.

1 hour ago, Damoz said:

Yes it has Eibach springs, Koni adjustable shocks, Whiteline rear sway bar, Hel braided brake lines, Slotted rotors and some ridiculously loud exhaust which I will have to change.

Ready to go then.

What tyres are on it??

3 minutes ago, Damoz said:

Dunlop Direzzas but at the end of their life so probably get some Michelins

Can I suggest either Yokohama AD08R or Hankook RS3/4??

Great road and track tyres.

Thanks guys, will look into it. I believe that Michelin developed a tyre specifically for the 2005 Clio sport Trophy model so was going to see if I could get my hands on some of those. 

30 minutes ago, Damoz said:

Thanks guys, will look into it. I believe that Michelin developed a tyre specifically for the 2005 Clio sport Trophy model so was going to see if I could get my hands on some of those. 

What do you primarily want the tyre for - road or track??

56 minutes ago, Damoz said:

Primarily road with the occasional weekend drive and track day.

OK - maybe Bridgestone RE003 or Michelin PS4 - Exaltos are superseded now and therefore no longer available.

RS3 or AD08R, whilst great road tyres, are probably a bit of an overkill for just the occasional track day (harsher ride, road noise etc).

• Like 1

Ran RE003 for a long time on my Megane before I swapped them out and they are a very solid choice. Capable on the track and I'd presume on a lighter vehicle last more laps before they overheat.

PS4 not available in 15 inch, if that's what you have. The PS3 are still a great choice and cheap.

IMHO get a second set of rims for the track -- 15 inch because tyres are heaps cheaper and almost all the good semis and UHP tyres are available. Put Hankook R-S3 or R-S4 on them. Put a set of Michelin PS3 or PS4 on the daily driver wheels. Sorted for all weather.

Edited by vaughan

My last daily(AE111 Levin coupe which I still own) I had about 3 sets of AD08R's on it, I think incredibly affordable for what you get (195x55x15) and brilliant in both wet and dry, good ride, not harsh, low noise, great cornering and braking, no downsides whatsoever as using this as a daily drive tyre. Unfortunately I can't get the size I require for my Clio RS so will try RE71R's and see how they go.

On 23/07/2018 at 8:33 AM, 404173 said:

Was this the one recently for sale? I had my eye on it, looks great!

The clio's will give some high powered cars a scare in the tight corners :D

Yes, bought it a couple of weeks ago. Have put RE003 tyres on it and it needs a few things for roadworthy but not a bad car for its age.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...