Just bought my first rs 225

Pgibson

Hi all.

I have just bought a 2006 225 Megane, all I can say is why haven't I owned one before now! What a machine.

I only have one issue, and that is insurance. 

I tell them it's a 2006, 225 sport, 3 door.

The only one they have on their system as an 06 3 door is an F1 team Megane.

I searched the internet and on Redbook my vin number show it as an F1 team Megane.

But it is just a 225 as far as I can tell..

So I'm probably paying more on the insurance for a limited edition car..

Any ideas?

Cheers

I think it had a few more tweaks, but it clearly isn't an F1 from what you say ... not an expert on it though so can't say for sure. 

How sure are you that you're paying more for a car that isn't an F1? It didn't cost any more in RRP when new. I'd be more worried about them not honouring a claim if you had an incident, they'd say that you lied about what car you have. 

I have to say I'm confused ... I thought that the 3 door came out in 2008. Was it a UK import maybe?

To stop Chuck confusing things further... :wink:

The Megane RS 225 was available as a 3 door, and as a 5 door. As to which years, which models were available, I'm not 100% sure.

As far as limited editions go, there was the 225 F1 Team Edition (or something to that effect), that was only available in blue with black wheels. Then came the 230 R26 F1 Team Edition (or something..) that we refer to on the forum as an R26. R26s were only sold in Australia in black and liquid yellow (there were other colours available overseas, and someone has privately imported a blue one from the UK).

Another thing to keep in mind that RS 225 Cups were only available as 5 doors. If you wanted Cup suspension on a 3 door body you had to buy one of the limited edition 3 doors (i.e. a 225 F1, or an R26).

30 minutes ago, SamR said:

To stop Chuck confusing things further... :wink:

The Megane RS 225 was available as a 3 door, and as a 5 door. As to which years, which models were available, I'm not 100% sure.

As far as limited editions go, there was the 225 F1 Team Edition (or something to that effect), that was only available in blue with black wheels. Then came the 230 R26 F1 Team Edition (or something..) that we refer to on the forum as an R26. R26s were only sold in Australia in black and liquid yellow (there were other colours available overseas, and someone has privately imported a blue one from the UK).

Another thing to keep in mind that RS 225 Cups were only available as 5 doors. If you wanted Cup suspension on a 3 door body you had to buy one of the limited edition 3 doors (i.e. a 225 F1, or an R26).

Thanks for that, I'm definitely new to Renault.. 

So, back to the identity thing.

Just been on autobahn to price up service parts, and guess what, like the insurance, and Redbook the only 2006 3 door is the F1, and the cup. So confused.

So here is my vin number. 

VF1CM0M06606#####

Can you guys out there with a ,2006, 3 door sport 225 and 2006 F1 show me yours.🙌

Phase 2 225 (facelift and different tail lights) was available in 3-door Sport (non-Cup) for a brief time.

It had silver 17" multi-spoke rims (like the Clio 197) and silver Brembos. They also had cloth seats with the blue trim inserts on the edges.

Like this one: https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Renault-Megane-2006/SSE-AD-4789521/?Cr=1

and this one: https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Renault-Megane-2007/SSE-AD-4870854/?Cr=4

I think you'll find the insurance companies, Redbook etc make no distinction between the 3 and 5 door models of the Sport.

• 8 months later...

Hey Guys,

I know this is probably dead by now, but I just signed up only to reply to this just incase this is one lucky fella - But:

1. the 2006 Megane 225 F1 Team came in Blue as well as Black  - albeit in even more limited numbers. The number of Blue ones (like mine) supersedes the Black ones in quantity by a large amount.

2. In 2006 the Megane 225 was only a 5 door version, with the 225 F1 Team offering the top specs of the tophy/cup etc on it's 3 door meganes.

3. The decals that come with the 225 F1 Team were an option only and so there were Blue and Black ones that left the dealerships without any.

So, if I was going to anticipate whats happened here, its either:

a. The car is a 2006 Megane 225 F1 Team in Black, no option for decals and the plaque has gone missing (to access the diagnostics you have to pop it off and sometimes the clips break like in my car so if this is the case its probably been replaced by a stock one by someone who wasn't aware of their status)

b. Its not a 2006 model and hence could be a 225 3door but this is unlikely.

c. The Vin model search result is incorrect in the register.

Given the VIN, the year made, the colour and that the decals were an option - id be inclined to think this is a rare F1 Team 225 in black.

Another way to check, provided we know the year is correct is:

1. Call Renault and ask

2. Check if you have a switch near the interior lighting brightness dial or cruise control that lets you switch of TRC at any speed. The F1 Team models are able to stay off over 35km/hr whilst regular non F1 Models will automatically turn back on when this speed is reached.

Sorry to bore you all to death, hope this was helpful

Andrew

photo_1511962020858.png

• Like 1

Thats my new thing learnt for today. I had certainly always thought F1 225's were blue only. Is the black the 'black gold' colour ? Supposedly only 3 in the UK - possibly only 1 in Australia ?

Wow - a rare beast indeed !

Cheers

Justin

Some great info here : the ratios in the UK were 4 Black to 145 Ultra Blue. you never can tell how accurate these figures are....

https://www.renaultsportclub.co.uk/forum/renaultsport-models/megane/47161-renaultsport-mégane-phase-1-225-225-cup-trophy-phase-2-225-f1-225-lux-225-cup-dci-175-dci-175-lux-230-r26-r26-r-specification-s

Cheers

Justin

• 3 weeks later...

2006 there was a Megan Sport (aka 225) 3 door available in black (black /gold) with cloth interior and blue highlights and came with 17" wheels (similar in appearance to the 18's). Not F1 or R26 but just a common garden variety 225 SPORT- build date November 2016, Australian Compliance December 2006 and sold new in Feb 2007. How do I know this? Because there is one parked in my garage right now. Also had Xenon's standard. Build and compliance plates can't lie.

20170127_165723.jpg

• 3 years later...
On 28/06/2018 at 11:11 PM, WILKYBEAR said:

Hey Guys,

I know this is probably dead by now, but I just signed up only to reply to this just incase this is one lucky fella - But:

1. the 2006 Megane 225 F1 Team came in Blue as well as Black  - albeit in even more limited numbers. The number of Blue ones (like mine) supersedes the Black ones in quantity by a large amount.

2. In 2006 the Megane 225 was only a 5 door version, with the 225 F1 Team offering the top specs of the tophy/cup etc on it's 3 door meganes.

3. The decals that come with the 225 F1 Team were an option only and so there were Blue and Black ones that left the dealerships without any.

So, if I was going to anticipate whats happened here, its either:

a. The car is a 2006 Megane 225 F1 Team in Black, no option for decals and the plaque has gone missing (to access the diagnostics you have to pop it off and sometimes the clips break like in my car so if this is the case its probably been replaced by a stock one by someone who wasn't aware of their status)

b. Its not a 2006 model and hence could be a 225 3door but this is unlikely.

c. The Vin model search result is incorrect in the register.

Not sure about this. I've never heard of a black 225 F1 team edition, and I don't recall ever seeing a blue 225 F1 Team edition without sticker pack, when they were new. Not to say owners didn't subsequently remove them. Do you have any official documentation about this? I've read about 3-4 black ones in the mix of 150-odd UK cars but never in Aus.

On 28/06/2018 at 11:11 PM, WILKYBEAR said:

2. Check if you have a switch near the interior lighting brightness dial or cruise control that lets you switch of TRC at any speed. The F1 Team models are able to stay off over 35km/hr whilst regular non F1 Models will automatically turn back on when this speed is reached.

^ This is also true of Cup models, TC stays off above the set speed (thought it was 50kph?).