Any Decent Twisty Roads In The Newcastle Area?

RSFan

Hi guys. Just came back from a holiday in Newcastle NSW and was impressed enough with the place to actually consider moving there but would only do so if there were some decent twisty roads to indulge my need for some spirited driving.  Had a look at Putty Road but it seemed pretty tame to me and the roads around Wollombi were pretty rough in places and also lacked enough corners.  Anybody know of some better roads I may have missed within an hour or two of Newcastle? Thanks.

Hey mate I am in Newcastle. Only newish here. I travel between Tamworth and here. Thunderbolts Way between Gloucester and top of the ranges is awesome. Purty road is awesome in my experience but twisty stuff is around the halfway mark from Richmond.

Try the Wooten Way just north of Bulladelah. 16k of old highway in both directions is awesome and so is the Lakes Way to Forster in the same place. Italia Rd between Seaham and the Pacific Hwy is not too bad. You just need to learn the area.

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

Thunderbolts Way between Gloucester and top of the ranges is awesome.

Great road , even better when you reach Walcha turn right a head to Mt Seaview there is a section about 50km long still 100km/h limit and full of 25-35 km/h bends. I try to get my fix from the central coast a back every few months.

Head to Cessnock, then Bucketty through to Somersby and onto the M1 for a fast trip home.

Or to do the trip in reverse head out through Yarramlong valley west of Wyong. Up Bumble hill out to Buckettys way to Cessnock. Just watch the bikes cutting corners and boys in blue through this way as the speed limit is restricted most of the way.

• 4 weeks later...

An area I haven't driven recently but used to be good and parts that I don't know are:

Buckets Way to Gloucester, Walcha and beyond. On to Armidale, or turn right at Walcha and head down the Oxley Highway to Wauchope. A shorter outing would be, turn left at Stroud/Stroud Road area and head across to Dungog. From there you could head home or go through East Gresford to Singleton then home. Only caveat being the road surface. It was great from Singleton to Dungog a few years back. Looks ok on google maps although I've no experience on the Stroud/Stroud Road to Dungog section. I find with the Meg3,in open country, away from Expressways, I just enjoy the drive no matter where, a few twistys is iceing on the cake. ☺

Edited by cairnsy

I rode my bike through Dungog last week and I would rate that council as the WORST at road maintenane in NSW..

sh*t surface everywhere

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk