Help With Megane Rs, Appreciated.

Barny

Hi peeps, currently in the market for a new daily driver, I tried the Ford Fiesta as I thought it would be enough but the seats hurt my legs and lower back and the ergonomics are so weird and hard to heel and toe, and it's underpowered for my liking. The focus is ok but I keep coming back to the Megane.

I guess I have a few questions and was hoping those with em might be able to shed some light. Looking into the RS 265 cup unless you can suggest otherwise.

I have driven the 250 cup with 18inch wheels bout 2 years ago and I absolutely loved it, but it was for 10 minutes through the twisties so I don't know what it's like to live with everyday. I also tried a sport 265 red bull, It was on 19's with leather recaros and I recall it was extremely hard over surfaces, awesome drive, but again it was a short stint so I can't recall exactly if it's livable everyday. I found it very hard though as if there was no shock absorption at all, I'm not sure if there was something wrong with that car or tyre pressures over inflated from the dealership.

After that last test drive bout 1.5 years ago I purchase a mini jcw GP. As I loved everything about them. It was a difficult decision between the 2, but went the mini at the time as it was sorted right out of the factory to do circuit work, and I have an excellent rapport with BMW which makes life easy if things stuff up. I don't know any Renault staff as I've never had their product before.

I do track work a few times a year when possible, so I need something that can go straight out without modifying stuff. Hoping the brakes hold up as is with a brake fluid high temp change and what ever pads you guys use.

So questions I'd love to know and appreciate any feedback and honest views.

Are they liveable as everyday cars especially the ride, bumps, comfort of seats etc?

I have a budget of 30k ish, would love to spend less if possible, even if I have to wait a little for depreciation. Do they deprecate much per year?

What is the best value and realistic price I should be paying for an RS 265 cup or premium. is there good discounts through dealerships?

What's the difference on carsales..there's sport 265 cup and RS 265 cups available?

I know nothing about reliability after a warranty runs out, so should I be looking at cars with warrantys only, I see 5 years is now available. Perhaps buying one 1-2 years old would be ideal for my price range.

Resale value, are these cars hard to sell off again once the warranty runs out or with age?

Which seats are the most comfortable, the cup cloth seats, the cloth recaro, or leather recaro?

Best ride on 18's or 19's

Any things you you don't like with the meganes that you only notice in time that you don't like?

Sorry for the long text, and thanks for any wise info you can share. Cheers.

I have the 19" on cup premium 265. Honestly its pretty stiff after 6 months of owning. Ive seen alot of people opt for the 18s and find them a good. I'll live with the harshness for the road feel personally. Recaro's are pretty tough to get out of but in the twisties they hold you tight and they look cool.

Price wise new, your probably looking at the advertised price drive away instead of all the dealer costs. They told me they dont make any money off the car sale but who knows if thats true. I you might get more of a discount now that the new variant and new model has been revealed.

I think wikipedia can tell you the difference between the megane rs variants https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A9gane_Renault_Sport

Things i dont like include the radio and the panels are hard to wax because of the gaps.

If you're going for live-with-able I find the non recaros and 18's are much more comfortable and easier to live with.

When I was looking I drove a few cars with recaro's and found them annoying, I had them in my Evo 8MR and they were just as annoying. I liked the non recaros much more and found them comfier, which is especially good for long highway drives.

Often with the recaros you need to work out a system of how to get out and in your car without slowly destroying the side bolsters, this can become tiresome, unless you don't drive it often. I find there to be plenty of hug on the non recaro seats and I don't flop around.

Also, I don't think you would find much performance difference between the 18's and 19's unless you're a track star, however, if that were the case you would likely find a lighter wheel anyway. The difference in tire price is also substantial I believe, along the lines of $100-200 dearer for each corner IIRC.

Thats my 2c, I'm sure someone else will chime in with more opinions.

I have had a 2013 RS265 cup on 18 inch rims as a daily for the last 18 months, and Ilove it. Tyres are also cheaper

The difference you are talking about may be the facelift that came in 2014.

5 year warranty would give good peave of mind. Mine has 3.

As long as you are aware they are a very focused car, you'll love it.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Good luck! 

I love my car. 

I got the trophy + because I ended up getting so confused with all the different variants. It had the bi-xenon cornering lights which are AWESOME and the leather electric seats - not Recaros; I thought they'd be more comfortable, which they are, but of course they do slide a bit ... 

In terms of comfort (and price of the tyres!) I would have chosen the 18s over the 19s but they look so good! Now I know I can get 245s instead of 235s so the price isn't so much an issue now, and they could be more comfortable. I guess I'll know in another 10000km! 

And I'm pretty sure that it's just the standard Cup which should have 18s (not like in the picture on the website!!) http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/index.php?/topic/24331-hertz-now-have-rs-megane-rental-cars/

Good luck! 

I love my car. 

I got the trophy + because I ended up getting so confused with all the different variants. It had the bi-xenon cornering lights which are AWESOME and the leather electric seats - not Recaros; I thought they'd be more comfortable, which they are, but of course they do slide a bit ... 

In terms of comfort (and price of the tyres!) I would have chosen the 18s over the 19s but they look so good! Now I know I can get 245s instead of 235s so the price isn't so much an issue now, and they could be more comfortable. I guess I'll know in another 10000km! 

And I'm pretty sure that it's just the standard Cup which should have 18s (not like in the picture on the website!!) http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/index.php?/topic/24331-hertz-now-have-rs-megane-rental-cars/

Thanks chuckovski. I'm also confused with all the variants still. I'm looking at the RS 265 cup premium as I like the monitor and the option of changing the settings to sport or linear for easier traffic driving if needed. I don't know if this option is available in the other models such as the trophy. Is it available in the trophy +'or the red bull addition or any other model?

The dealers I've spoken too seem to be confused with the previous models.

Also if I do buy the cup premium will I be missing anything that the other models come with and people love?

I would recommend having a look at the redbook site as this would be the most (but not completely) reliable resource. It certainly lists all of them in one place: 

http://www.redbook.com.au/cars/research/used?q=%28%28%28%28%28RecordType%3D%5BCar%5D%26CountryCode%3D%5BAU%5D%29%26Service%3D%5BRedbook%5D%29%26%28Make%3D%5BRenault%5D%26Model%3D%5BMegane%5D%29%29%26YearRange%3Drange%5B2013..2013%5D%29%26Transmission%3D%5BManual%5D%29&evnt=refinement

As for your other issues: 

Changing settings to sport or more linear acceleration - that's what the ESP button down and right of the steering wheel does - every model has this, and in the 265 and 275s it increases the "normal" 250HP to 265 or 275HP; the RS Link or Monitor or whatever it is allows you to change the throttle mapping to your individual likes beyond that. I found I was happy with normal, sports, or race. Further customisation would have been purely for fiddling purposes for the first week, then useless! 

Cup Premium - the brand new Cup Premium has 275HP - it is not the 275 Trophy or 275 Trophy R which also have the Akrapovic exhaust and Ohlins suspension. It does not have bi-xenon lights and I haven't heard how the non-xenons are. I just love mine so much! 

The 2014 Cup Premium will have 265HP. 

If you had the budget I'd suggest something like this: 

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Renault-Megane-2014/OAG-AD-12060033/?Cr=3

It would have had a hard life (demonstrator) but it's basically the 275 Trophy R but with the rear seats intact. 

Otherwise if the R Link thing isn't an issue check out this for value: 

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Renault-Megane-2013/SSE-AD-3234598/?Cr=3

Or if you want the RB8 this looks good value: 

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Renault-Megane-2013/SSE-AD-3684822/?Cr=2

With the caveat about all the REVS checks and mechanical ins and outs ... there's another thread on that somewhere. 

Oh and only the facelifted ones have 5yr warranty (or balance thereof). So mid 2014 it became Cup and Cup Premium, and the 275s all have 5yr warranty. 

The 2013s will only have a year left at the most by now, depending on when they were registered. 

I was of the impression it was available in all models.... I can confirm the RS monitor is included in the RS265 RB7 Redbull, which I am led to believe has the same specs (except for Recaros and bodywork/paint) as the normal Cup.

Yes that's right ... sorry! The 2.0 is across the board in the facelifted models. 

• Like 1

I would recommend having a look at the redbook site as this would be the most (but not completely) reliable resource. It certainly lists all of them in one place: 

%26CountryCode%3D[AU])%26Service%3D[Redbook])%26(Make%3D[Renault]%26Model%3D[Megane]))%26YearRange%3Drange[2013..2013])%26Transmission%3D[Manual])&evnt=refinement]http://www.redbook.com.au/cars/research/used?q=(((((RecordType%3D[Car]%26CountryCode%3D[AU])%26Service%3D[Redbook])%26(Make%3D[Renault]%26Model%3D[Megane]))%26YearRange%3Drange[2013..2013])%26Transmission%3D[Manual])&evnt=refinement

As for your other issues: 

Changing settings to sport or more linear acceleration - that's what the ESP button down and right of the steering wheel does - every model has this, and in the 265 and 275s it increases the "normal" 250HP to 265 or 275HP; the RS Link or Monitor or whatever it is allows you to change the throttle mapping to your individual likes beyond that. I found I was happy with normal, sports, or race. Further customisation would have been purely for fiddling purposes for the first week, then useless! 

Cup Premium - the brand new Cup Premium has 275HP - it is not the 275 Trophy or 275 Trophy R which also have the Akrapovic exhaust and Ohlins suspension. It does not have bi-xenon lights and I haven't heard how the non-xenons are. I just love mine so much! 

The 2014 Cup Premium will have 265HP. 

If you had the budget I'd suggest something like this: 

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Renault-Megane-2014/OAG-AD-12060033/?Cr=3

It would have had a hard life (demonstrator) but it's basically the 275 Trophy R but with the rear seats intact. 

Otherwise if the R Link thing isn't an issue check out this for value: 

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Renault-Megane-2013/SSE-AD-3234598/?Cr=3

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Renault-Megane-2013/SSE-AD-3684822/?Cr=2

With the caveat about all the REVS checks and mechanical ins and outs ... there's another thread on that somewhere. 

Oh and only the facelifted ones have 5yr warranty (or balance thereof). So mid 2014 it became Cup and Cup Premium, and the 275s all have 5yr warranty. 

The 2013s will only have a year left at the most by now, depending on when they were registered. 

Yes that's right ... sorry! The 2.0 is across the board in the facelifted models.

Great thanks. Going buy the info it looks like the best option is a 265 cup premium 2014 model facelift. Gives a longer warranty and has everything you would want. Would like the 275hp cup premium, but have to pay another 7grand for it. My budget is 35k drive away. I will have to wait a little longer to get one, as at that price i will be able to get something around the 15000km-20,000km just over a year old. Also dealerships next year should give better negotiations as the year ticks over.

I've noticed the 2013 model 265 cup trophee' on carsales are asking for $32-39k with around 20000km or more. You can buy a 2014 265 cup premuim facelifted model for $34-39k with km ranging from 6000-under 20000km, which has recaro seats and extra factory warranty.

Are these guys asking way to much? Or am I missing something that the 2013 trophee models have which demand that price?

Thanks

I've noticed the 2013 model 265 cup trophee' on carsales are asking for $32-39k with around 20000km or more. You can buy a 2014 265 cup premuim facelifted model for $34-39k with km ranging from 6000-under 20000km, which has recaro seats and extra factory warranty.

Are these guys asking way to much? Or am I missing something that the 2013 trophee models have which demand that price?

Thanks

Nothing special over the 2014 in the 2013. Pretty much the same but better warranty in the 2015. Motivated seller versus less motivated perhaps. That said $34k for a cup premium with 6000km dies sound like a pretty good deal...

Oops 2014 not 2015 in post above sorry

Thanks

Not sure ... Maybe they're going by the redbook value suggested; they're all likely to be negotiable.

There may be some things wrong with the cup premiums you're seeing, prompting a lower initial asking price.

Also the depreciation would take a bigger hit in the first year.

And the 2013 models may have my favourite option (cornering bixenons).

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Barney, 

I was you back in December, now I'm the owner of RB8 #379. 

As your from QLD, check out this one: 

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kedron/cars-vans-utes/2013-renault-megane-iii-d95-sport-265-red-bull-rb8-blue-6-speed-manual-coupe/1095767472

This car was previously listed on Carsales.com.au The dealer has picked it up from a motivated seller (Private sale advertised it for $31k  - $33k.) I'm guessing the dealer low balled him and picked up the car for a bargain, this was back in November 2015.  After 90 days with a dealer all offer are on the table! If it's still available in late January / February and you can wait that long, then it might be worth looking at.

http://www.carsales....D-3684822/?Cr=2

(The RB8 quoted above needs 4 new tyres and definitely do your mechanical ins and outs on this one) I've driven it and had it inspected however decided not to purchase it. The guy selling it was honest and straight forward and he's only owned it for about 9 months. 

Hope this helps. Happy driving. 

W. 

Thanks

I suggest you find the one you want and make an offer, possible a couple of thou below asking price. Many sellers inflate by that margin to get a price that they actually want. If they need to sell, they will sell. Just be sure that any private sale is clear of finance.