Liveability - your opinions

goldghost

Hi all,

I am hoping to buy a used Clio 200 Cup Series 3 as I don't want an auto gearbox. One issue though on which I need some honest advice - ride quality and 110km cruising.

Unlike most of you I live in WA so big distances/poor roads. Will the car be bearable? It might seem an odd car to choose for this environment but I love small, light cars over big heavy ponderous things. Just come back from racking up the miles in the UK in a diesel Peugeot 208. Absolutely loved it but want something faster and better handling. Bored of my Falcon much as I feel affection for it.

Your views please!

Those things are a bit subjective so opinions could differ. The ride in a 200 is fairly firm and, to be honest, I weaved like a mad-man to avoid pot holes. However, it never got unbearable - even on the worst Sydney roads.

The highway cruise is pretty civilised. It will be a bit noisier for you (coming from a Falcon) as the engine is sitting on 3,000rpm at 110kph. Having said that, I drove mine down to Melbourne and it was comfortable and easy to drive long distance.

I would highly recommend taking one for a test drive and try to replicate your typical commute.

Those things are a bit subjective so opinions could differ. The ride in a 200 is fairly firm and, to be honest, I weaved like a mad-man to avoid pot holes. However, it never got unbearable - even on the worst Sydney roads.

The highway cruise is pretty civilised. It will be a bit noisier for you (coming from a Falcon) as the engine is sitting on 3,000rpm at 110kph. Having said that, I drove mine down to Melbourne and it was comfortable and easy to drive long distance.

I would highly recommend taking one for a test drive and try to replicate your typical commute.

A Megane maybe a better compromise (2nd hand RS250's can now be bought in $30k territory with around 40,000kms on them). Not a visceral as a Clio, but nearly as sharp and probably a bit easier to live with.

I've had one for a couple of weeks now. For the first couple of days I kept thinking that it was a lot rougher than I remembered it being on the test drive. I got used to it pretty quickly and now I think the ride is fine but it will be too firm for some people. I don't really do any highway driving so I can't say much about that.

Great response. Thanks all of you. I think I need to take it for a test drive so I can form a gut feeling. I will go on that basis.

Wish I lived over east. A few years ago I did the big lap of Australia (in trusty EL Falcon) and there are some amazing roads. Adelaide Hills, Oz Alps in NSW/Vic, all of GDR. Standout for me though was Tassie. Other Australians are so terrified of the inbreds that almost noone goes there. Almost as bad as WA hae52.gif

I think 200 gearing is the big negative for freeway use. They rev @ 3,800rpm at 110 on the freeway.

3,800?? Mine does 3100 at 110 and about 3,200 at 120. And I have become completely accustomed to my car over long distances, I could recommend it.

I think 200 gearing is the big negative for freeway use. They rev @ 3,800rpm at 110 on the freeway.

3,800?? Mine does 3100 at 110 and about 3,200 at 120. And I have become completely accustomed to my car over long distances, I could recommend it.

You know there's a 6th gear in those 200's Monty. :wink:

The revs do feel high for highway use in the Clio IIs and I imagine the III is similar (given something like a Commodore would be down closer to idle). Probably depends a bit what you are used to as well.

Yes, I drove a 200 and was looking forward to having a 6th gear (only change I'd make to the 182). To my disappointment, it was the same ratio as the 182's 5th.

It seems to settle at about 3100-3200 rpm on the motorway when you're doing 110-114. It's fairly "urgent" feeling, but not completely tiresome. It does mean you can punch past people without having to shift down.

They're not the mile eaters that a Megane would be, but they're comfortable on the motorway once you're into a rhythm.

Ultimate mile eater would be the rare RS175 dci :D

I think it's fair to say that highway driving isn't the 200's forte!

They do it no worries but if that's its primary use you may not get to enjoy it as it was intended. The ride on mine with the 18's can get tiresome, I've used it on a few long trips and after 2 hours I was ready for a break.

They do it no worries but if that's its primary use you may not get to enjoy it as it was intended. The ride on mine with the 18's can get tiresome, I've used it on a few long trips and after 2 hours I was ready for a break.
Most I've done in one go was 360km from Nhill to Adelaide, no issues with that.

Howdy and welcome.

My 200 has the exhaust resonator removed which adds a little drone and I also run my tyres 40 psi front and 38 psi rear and I still say it's not that bad. I do tend to crank the tunes when not spiritedly driving so maybe I don't notice it that way. If anything I think it would be more about how you feel about the ride. It is hard but for me this isn't a problem. I spent the last month or so doing ~150-200km a day of highway driving in a work Holden Cruze 1.8 pov pack and getting back into my 200 was one of the happiest moments for me.

Cheers,

Trent

To be fair, I think just about any small hatch would be tiresome on a highway. I own a Clio 172. recently did a trip from Adelaide to Sydney, then Sydney to Melbourne and back to Adelaide. Also drove through the Great Ocean Road (more on that shortly :wink: )

Negatives...

-Jittery ride

-Lack of comfort when sleeping in the car (Especially if your over 6 foot)

-High revs at speed

-Won't hold up to a colision with a Kangaroo very well

Positives...

-Economy

-Lively and responsive ride

-Avoids Kangaroos with ease ! (Yes I had to emergency brake on 2 different occasions and it handled the situation like a Boss ! Don't ask me how fast I was going :clown: )

-Has to be close to THE best car to drive through the Great Ocean Road 8)

-Has plenty of power for over taking at pretty much any speed below 230 km/h :alco:

Now, obviously it's not a Clio 200. But the Pro's n Con's would be relatively the same. And if anything, A Clio 200 would probably be a little better due to bigger size, and Cruise control just to mention a couple of things.

And in all honesty, a Falcon is always going to be easier to live with on strictly Highway driving. But, that's your choice.

My 2c. Hope this helps a little :D

Sleeping in a 172! =-O

Yeah buddy, pillows and a blanket too... and my teddy bear. Just put the seat right down and back, take your shoes off, lay your feet up on the dash board as comfortably as you can and save moolah on a hotel room :P

I'm not over 6 foot though, only 5"9'. I mentioned it would be uncomfortable for someone over 6 foot because it was tight for me. So for someone over 6 foot I'd say it would be torture !

I don't have a 200 but an 197(pretty close) today a drive in my Aurion and werey quit at 100km/h and so comfortable that even the kids were getting sea sick :rofl:

Just a different ride than the clio and it's just what you expect or preffer i guess! Driving the clio at the same conditions it's a different ride. Noisy and you whon't get sea sick :mrgreen: but damn I love the ride every time! Long trips no worries at all, not tired and the kidneys still ok :rofl:

You can't go wrong mate!

Cheers 8)

I've done 60,000 k in my 200 and mostly country/long distance driving.

It's awesome! Don't be concerned about comfort and it won't bother you.

I do find the CUP Trophee kit to be a bit more refined for cruising than the stock CUP.

It has 17 inch wheels and a few more electrics than standard. The only harshness I find comes from the firm but supportive Recaros.

btw. I run 36PSI now after starting my ownership at 40. It seems to be more comfy but not quite as sharp in the tight bends unless there are lots of them and then it gains agility as the tyres warm up.

Yeah i have done a few long distance trips and its fine. Longest stint was a good 400km stretch non-stop on a trip between syd and melb and the car lapped it up. Fuel economy is pretty good for something so highly strung. Not nearly as comfy as the magna on long haul but just as much poke to overtake

I've done a bunch of long runs in the 200, 1200km from Sydney to the Grampians in Victoria. Never had a problem, never been uncomfortable. I did the same run a few times in the 172 and much prefer the 200.

I've also driven it more than most I imagine on dirt roads and its perfectly competent. Corrugations suck but I've never known a car which is comfortable on them. It's just in the 200 you think your teeth are going to shake out of your skull!