West Melbournian

Adzy

Hi peoples!

I am in the market for a new ride in 4 months time and currently have a MKV Golf GTI which has a few mods to make it a bit more track worthy. I ordered a Golf R but have recently canceled as I am after a car that offers more feedback and fun as the VW cars of late are pretty numb and have un-defeatable ESP etc.. lucky I snapped out of it!

My heart is pretty set on the RS250 but I will also test drive a used Focus RS and a Scirocco R but again, pretty sure I will end up in an RS250 as I LOVE what I hear about them!

Look forward to using this forum and getting to know a few of ya'll :D

Adam

Welcome. I'm sure Danny will be along soon to reassure you on your choice.

I doubt any of the others on your shortlist will give you as much of a grin. Don't write off the Clio either - if you compete in a series that has a sub 2l class, you'd do well in a 200 8)

Welcome Adam!

There are quite a few people here who have seen the light, just like you. Best of luck with the research and purchase. Have you got your heart set on some options already? Coming from a VW, you must be used to a lot of creature comforts.

Cheers guys, yeah Griffyn I would love a 200 but I dont think I could go much smaller than a Megane as I need the luggage space for snow boarding, mountain biking etc. and the fact that Im 6'2" and 100 kegs.. would look like a clown car for me. My brother has a clean little 172 which is a riot to drive so I wouldnt mind a small RenaultSoport but as I said.. need the space.

Nemz, I will prob be getting most options as my budget for the Golf R that I cancelled was 60k as long as I can avoid the glass roof of the 2012 model! I just care about the simple things really. The VW interiors are bloody nice but I cant remember getting out of the car after a nice drive wearing a big cheesy grin due to a nice interior :D driving is where its at!

Youre making the right choice mate! I drive my 250 daily which handles the city and freeway very easily but get out onto a decent bit of road and the car transforms... You will love it and the only other car that will come close is the Focus RS in my opinion.

Save urself the bucks, get a 250 with a tune and you wont know the difference!

Youre making the right choice mate! I drive my 250 daily which handles the city and freeway very easily but get out onto a decent bit of road and the car transforms... You will love it and the only other car that will come close is the Focus RS in my opinion.

Save urself the bucks, get a 250 with a tune and you wont know the difference!

I have looked at 2 Focus RS so far and both looked like they were owned by Edward Scissor hand due to the amount of scratches on the interior, basically the quality of plastics is shocking which I have read about but didn't know it was so bad. The main attraction with the RS is that glorious 5 pot engine :D and I do kind of like the aggressive look of them however that aggressive look would also make you look like a tosser on some occasions. Also why buy a used car when I could buy a brand new car which out handles the former? Have also read about a few other issues on the UK forums in regards to the FRS.

I may test drive one through the Geelong Renault dealership as the guys at Essendon where rood pricks!

Welcome! 250s are awesome, but I'd drive a 200 too, just for the hell of it!

Let us know when you've made your choice 8)

Good choice Adzy. As Griffin noted, I ordered a fully optioned VAG R, then cancelled when I test drove the 250, and bought it.

Such an awesome car, I've not regretted it once! It helped that I had an RS182 Cup Clio as well!

Hopefully you make the same decision I did. I don't miss the notion of owning a Golf R at all. I see 50,000 every day driven by those with grey hair, The 250 is just a fun machine. You're in Werribee are you?

Good choice Adzy. As Griffin noted, I ordered a fully optioned VAG R, then cancelled when I test drove the 250, and bought it.

Such an awesome car, I've not regretted it once! It helped that I had an RS182 Cup Clio as well!

Hopefully you make the same decision I did. I don't miss the notion of owning a Golf R at all. I see 50,000 every day driven by those with grey hair, The 250 is just a fun machine. You're in Werribee are you?

Yeah I just slowy got sucked into the VW scene due to owning the GTI and joining a few of the forums which I made some great mates out of but started asking myself WTF am I doing? Im into driving and feeling response and feedback from a car not this soft cushy numb rubbish lol Glad I came too! The boys will still see me but in a frog machine lol oh well they will live.

Yeah bro I live in Hoppers.

Good call Adzy. I've test driven two cars in my life that really made me LOL, and I signed up for both of them immediately. The first was a 98 VTEC Prelude, and the second was the RS250. I honestly can't think of anything that comes close (oh...ok...an RS200) for the bucks.

P.S. I'm at Port Melbourne so I can pick you up in-transit on the way to an early morning Reefton/Black Spur run. :lol:

Good call Adzy. I've test driven two cars in my life that really made me LOL, and I signed up for both of them immediately. The first was a 98 VTEC Prelude, and the second was the RS250. I honestly can't think of anything that comes close (oh...ok...an RS200) for the bucks.

P.S. I'm at Port Melbourne so I can pick you up in-transit on the way to an early morning Reefton/Black Spur run. :lol:

Ooh and I see you went with white, def a color I will be seriously considering!

Me and some mates went through the reefton a couple of weeks back, was a sh*t load of fun of course but the rain starting coming in followed by tons of fog which made it damn dangerous.. but fun dangerous :wink:

Hoppers ey?

I Was born in Wezza, we lived in Hoppers till I was about 7 then we moved to Tenplestowe. I know werribee well, my cousins still live there and I have two uncles who are the local doctor and dentist, so I'm down there heaps, and I've seen a few 250's down that way too.

Adz, mate, jump into one mate, seriously you just have to forget everything else, and go see Rick from Gorell Renault, and do it! Best car, evaaaahhhh :D

Oh did you.. yeah I was in Point Cook for a few years and now Hoppers. Originally I grew up in Bacchus Marsh and straight after living there I moved to Whyndam Vale for a while.

If I need teeth ripped out I will hit up your uncle bro!

Does Rick offer a good deal? He is the dood I spoke to over the phone.. cant bloody wait for a test drive I recon after the drive I will be throwing down a deposit :D

Prob will go with black inserts, bi-xenons, leather and the 18's :D

Not sure what sort of deal RickH offers, but he is a member here, honestly I wouldn't be afraid to shop around! There's Renault dealers all around, if I were you I'd make some phone calls and see whose willing to sharpen their pencil the most and go with them!

Test drives can be dangerous too! Be warned... One day I was waiting for a Golf R, the next day I had a gleaming new 250 in my garage.....

Hi Adam,

All the best with the hunt.

Post up how the Scirocco R compares to RS250.

Cheers,

WOLF

I can guess the answer to this. The VW will be better finished and better built. The performance will be pretty much line ball (Aus Scirocco's are slightly down on power at 188kw to their Euro versions because of VW's "hot climate" adjustment) and the Megane will be the more hard-core weapon with ultimately slightly better handling and grip. Also interestingly, in the recent Wheels COTY review of it, they strongly criticised the Scirocco's ride on Australian roads and said that the RS250's ride was superior.

Hi Adam,

Cheers,

WOLF

I can guess the answer to this. The VW will be better finished and better built. The performance will be pretty much line ball (Aus Scirocco's are slightly down on power at 188kw to their Euro versions because of VW's "hot climate" adjustment) and the Megane will be the more hard-core weapon with ultimately slightly better handling and grip. Also interestingly, in the recent Wheels COTY review of it, they strongly criticised the Scirocco's ride on Australian roads and said that the RS250's ride was superior.

You pretty much nailed it, the rocco will still be a typically numb feeling drive like all VAG cars.. will have better interior but that doesnt matter to me. Still in thailand at moment but will hopefully drive one when I'm back.

One volkswagen that is mental is my mates R36 transplant twin turbo golf! He was in melbourne last weekend and we lined up a r35 gtr for him to run which he destroyed, the thing is an animal.. has run a 11.1 with wheelspin from all four wheels, its on speedhunters, worth a look if you's haven't seen it.

As much as I do not want to advocate the German, since I chose the Frenchie over it when I was hunting, I must advise that finally VAG has allowed ESP to be completely switched off. There is even a massive button on the Scirocco R dedicated to this function.

Mechanical LSD rules though :)

As much as I do not want to advocate the German, since I chose the Frenchie over it when I was hunting, I must advise that finally VAG has allowed ESP to be completely switched off. There is even a massive button on the Scirocco R dedicated to this function.

Great move on VAG's part. They really needed to make the ESP switchable. But I agree, there is no substitute for a proper LSD.

Hi Adam,

Cheers,

WOLF

You pretty much nailed it, the rocco will still be a typically numb feeling drive like all VAG cars.. will have better interior but that doesnt matter to me. Still in thailand at moment but will hopefully drive one when I'm back.

One volkswagen that is mental is my mates R36 transplant twin turbo golf! He was in melbourne last weekend and we lined up a r35 gtr for him to run which he destroyed, the thing is an animal.. has run a 11.1 with wheelspin from all four wheels, its on speedhunters, worth a look if you's haven't seen it.

My VAG mates told me about this animal. Apparently the GTR is now for sale as the guy is shattered he got spanked by a Golf.

Saw this at princes hwy and at dub-stitute last week. Things a weapon, pulled up next to him in my 250 but he seemed more concerned with my mates focus rs...

Hey Adzy,

Feel free to come down for a test run in the 250. You will love the drive. Feel free to send PM with a time that suits.

We had 3 on the yard until Saturday.....only 1 now !

Sold a few up to the western / north western melbourne suburbs over the years !

BTW Adzy - I bought the RS250 over smaller options to go snowboarding too :) It fits a 165 snowboard bag with the seats folded down just right. Perfect for two people and gear, but could bring an extra person comfortably, extra two at a stretch (and not comfortable if you have the Recaros).

I reckon it will fit a Mtn Bike or two with the front wheels off - but bring lots of tarp / padding. Not sure if I'll be carrying my bike in it though .....

BTW Adzy - I bought the RS250 over smaller options to go snowboarding too :) It fits a 165 snowboard bag with the seats folded down just right. Perfect for two people and gear, but could bring an extra person comfortably, extra two at a stretch (and not comfortable if you have the Recaros).

I reckon it will fit a Mtn Bike or two with the front wheels off - but bring lots of tarp / padding. Not sure if I'll be carrying my bike in it though .....

Fits two strategically arranged racing bikes (front wheels off). Had to do it last weekend.

Still numb feeling steering and over servo'd brake pedal feel etc. And yes gotta love a mechanical LSD over that electric brake activated rubbish

Saw this at princes hwy and at dub-stitute last week. Things a weapon, pulled up next to him in my 250 but he seemed more concerned with my mates focus rs...

Yeah we were cruising for a bit and my mate couldnt even lose him on his Z100 from the lights lol when he opens it up it sounds so menacing and the look on supercar owners faces when he blows them is priceless!

He just arrived from Sydney before we hit Prinny, very drivable and reliable yet a beast also. He sent the engine to the US to get built by HPA and is about to do the same AWD R36TT conversion to his Rocco R.

He also has an Exige with fully built engine and a GT30 turbo... the thing is totally un-driveable just insane.

Hey Adzy,

Feel free to come down for a test run in the 250. You will love the drive. Feel free to send PM with a time that suits.

We had 3 on the yard until Saturday.....only 1 now !

Sold a few up to the western / north western melbourne suburbs over the years !

Cheers mate I def will come down after my holiday and have a chat with you about delivery times etc.

Cheers Rick

Ok mate thats good to know :D my board is the same size.. and yeah if I do end up not running roof racks and throwing the bike in the back I will get clarke rubber to make a big moulded liner for the bike to sit on as sh*ts gets messy when tearing down hills in the mudd :D

Fits two strategically arranged racing bikes (front wheels off). Had to do it last weekend.

Strategic placement is the key! As was with my other cars.. bloody awkward putting them in.

• 1 month later...

Plans have really changed for Adzy lately which means I will not be purchasing another car anytime soon. Basically whilst I was in Thailand my dogs got out the front gate due to a storm, dogs then killed neighbors cat and the neighbors called the police, council and sh*t got nasty. They are pushing to have my dogs destroyed and there is no chance I am letting that happen.

So just when I need some extra cash to prepare my car to sell I now have solicitor fees, pound fees, fines and an interesting time ahead living with my CU$% neighbors! So just to be safe and to avoid more stress I will be sticking with my GTI for a bit longer... might just chuck some more bits on my car to keep me happy.

Man have I had a kent of a time the last few weeks!

Its been great chatting to you guys though and thanks for being welcoming.. I might tag along on a cruise some time as long as no one minds a GTI rubbing shoulders with the Renaults :D

Sorry to hear that man - I do believe that at least on the Sydney meets, various other marquees are present so I imagine that you'll be welcomed to join in. Just be prepared for some serious RS propaganda :)

All the best for the upcoming sh*t fight.

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only person here wondering WTF?

So your dogs killed somebody else's pet, and they're the c****?

If somebody's dog killed my cat, or dog, or attacked my partner or my kid, I would be on the warpath and "sh*t" would "get nasty".

Sorry, but someone had to say it.