Hello From Melbourne!

Megz

Hi All,

New RS 250 Cup Trophee owner and first time Renault owner too! Never would have thought I would be a Renault driver but after waiting 5 months for my car to arrive, absolutely love it!

Can anyone recommend a good driving experience day too? Was thinking a defensive driving course but not one that is for L or P platers - want to ensure I drive the car its meant to be driven! :D

Look forward to hearing great things on this site!

Megz

Welcome Megz...and there are a lot of RS250 owners who are first time Renault owners. Some of us are apparently snobs more suited to driving Audi's too (sorry Danny...I couldn't help it).

One of the best driving experiences you could possibly have is to keep your eyes open in the Social Events section for a drive day. I've done two with these OzRenaultSport guys so far (one across the Reefton and Black Spurs, and another last weekend to Phillip Island via some great 3rd gear inland roads) and they were brilliant days where I got to use the car at about 7-8/10ths of it's ability (probably 9/10ths of mine). Nice bunch of people too. Keep your eyes open for the next one.

Thanks RBH - i'll keep and eye out for days on the site. The days you've done sound great! :)

Unfortunately my car history is nothing exciting despite having the love of cars, speed, a good drive in my blood. Previous cars were for practicality so now its time to enjoy!

Thanks Dish for the welcome too! :D

Awesome!

Hi and welcome Megz, it's pretty exciting to chalk down another new 250 owner, especially another Melbourne owner! These cars are fantastic and you will absolutely love it. Be sure to check out the events section as Our drive days are a good opportunity to enjoy the cars and share the RS love with like minded enthusiasts. We'd all be happy to have another 250 joining the ranks!

Once again, welcome and huge congrats. The 250 is a wonderful car.

-Danny

As all others have said already, welcome.

I can recommend the Driver Dynamics track days if you'd like to dip your toe into the water, or signing up for a CAMS licence and getting out there yourself :)

Hi All,

Thanks for all the welcomes. Im in the Essendon region. Just got back from a road trip to Canberra - she drove like a dream! Finally added some pics in the Garage (http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/bb/garage_vehicle.php?mode=view_own_vehicle&CID=247) - hope i've done it right :oops:

Checked out the Driver Dynamics but looking for something to specific for my car that isnt for a P plater - something that will teach me to really drive the car the way it should be :D

Not sure on driver dynamics but there are normally 3 stages of courses

stage 1 - Defensive driving 101

Stage 2 - mastering slides / understeer / oversteer

Stage 3 - Performance driving course. Some theory and technical sections, drills and some trackwork.

Not sure on driver dynamics but there are normally 3 stages of courses

stage 1 - Defensive driving 101

Stage 2 - mastering slides / understeer / oversteer

Stage 3 - Performance driving course. Some theory and technical sections, drills and some trackwork.

Yeah...most are done like that to extract maximum revenue...one is a prerequisite for the next. I've done Stage 2 with Murcotts (got it for free when I bought my Alfa) and it was a bit of fun (some quick exercises on a wet track demonstrating ABS/ESP). I think if you had to go through Stage 1 it may be a bit soporific. I've thought about doing a Performance Driving Course but haven't got around to it.

Welcome - 250 FTW!

Driver Dynamics AFAIK offer skidpan and supervised, well-organized track days regularly. I did one of their days at Sandown and the format was pretty good - decent access to instruction (instructor in car talking you through lines, steering, throttle control then time to practice) track walk around and talk prior, not crowded. A few hours on the skidpad beforehand is great fun and worthwhile. Money well spent :)

Hi Megz,

I'd check this UK site out if you were interested in a track day and haven't done too much before. A lot of the stuff is basic / rudimentary but there are some gems in there if you go through it before you get on a track. Nothing beats getting on the track though and giving it a go.

What you don't get on a site like this is the benefit of having someone in the car who knows what they are doing to give extra advice. They will get you driving that bit smoother, giving you tips like looking up the road to the next braking point as soon as you hit a corner apex.

I don't know about Melbourne courses but I'm sure they'd be pretty similar to what we have at Eastern Creek and Oran Park before they "developed" it (what a waste of a great track).

http://www.drivingfast.net/#axzz1a0WXBToi

Have fun!

Hi Megz,

Like you, I want to learn how to drive this car, without going through all the rigmarole of driver basics courses. I'm about to move states so I'll look at CAMS licence requirements later.

Frankly, I'm thinking of approaching the dealer who took me for my first test-drive to see if he'll come for a ride and show me how to drive better (it was a "fun" demo!).

Even a drive day with the folks from the forum sounds like it would be a good way to calibrate. I'm (poorly) putting out feelers for a drive one weekend in October. Interested in a Spur-run soon?

(and thanks steel2heal for the link - looks really useful)

Cheers,

bozz

Hi Megz

I've signed up for two Driver Dynamics days. There is a hill climb on the 19th November and a Sandown track day on 7th January 2012. They both seem reasonably priced, especially the hill climb and would be a good introduction to two different flavours of motorsports. I haven't been to a Driver Dynamics event before but have heard a lot of positive feedback from other forum members.

PS. You can practice your heel and toe every day.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Thanks for the info on the drive days. Think it will be a new year thing with the way this year is flying by - maybe it has something to do with the fast car im driving these days :)

Been getting some great feedback from 'random's in the street which is a great feeling - people yelling out or giving thumbs up or walking by saying 'great car'. So nice to have a car that people actually do that with!

Keen for any informal drive days too so let me know.

Wanted to know if there are many/any on here that are actually a member of the VIC Renault Car Club. Was thinking about joining but wasnt sure if it was the type of club that people are actually a member of (if that makes sense!).

If anyone can give me pointers on how to upload pictures I will (despite working in IT I am no longer a nerd and therefore having a major blonde moment - I just cant seem to work out how to do it!).

Wanted to know if there are many/any on here that are actually a member of the VIC Renault Car Club. Was thinking about joining but wasnt sure if it was the type of club that people are actually a member of (if that makes sense!)

Well howdy :lol:

I'm currently the president of the aforementioned club :D and we'd love to have you as a member - a number of people here have joined, mainly to get a CAMS licence (and that's just fine too) or for the discount at a couple of dealers and private workshops.

As for the pictures... we don't have enough storage for on-side photo hosting, so you'd best investigate a hosting service like dropbox, imageshack, photobucket or picasa and link from them. There's a how-to thread somewhere too...

Hi Griffyn - thanks and good to know. My parents are members of a different car club in another state and get a lot out of it with drive days, etc and hoped the Renault one here was similar. Will rearrange some things so I can come to the general meeting on the 15th - assuming that the right way to go about it :D

Will do more research on here and geek myself up to get some pics up :)