New 197 owner in Brissy (with pics)

RSizzle

Hello all,

As the title suggests I haven't actually got it yet, I'm just waiting for the previous owner to get the RWC and I've organised an inspection to be done tomorrow. Hopefully all checks out ok, and after all the paper work etc is completed I hope to be driving away in it by the end of the week!

As far as I'm aware it's pretty stock at the moment. And from what I've read in the forums so far there's not much to be gained by doing any performance mods - is that right?

I've already been looking at some exterior mods while I've been waiting - carbon fiber badge, front splitter, side skirts, k-tec (?) rear spoiler. Anyone got these or any experience with putting them on?

Will post pics when I get the car. Now the wait...

Edit: Have the car now, but my baby is battered and bruised after a run in with a bogan :(

Welcome, going for black on black???

You mean with the badge?

I like black on black, but white on black can look really nice too, in striking and sporty sort of way e.g., white wheels, stripes, decals etc.

Welcome, nice ride the 197..... :)

Thanks. Can't wait to get the car and take it for a strap. Somewhere twisty preferably :D (Mt Cootha, Mt Mee, where else around Brisvegas?)

Welcome! Nice choice on the 197. Pics when you can, please!

For me it came down to the either the 197 or 200. Aesthetically, I couldn't get over the 200's front. :clown:

I did test drive the RS250 before too. LOVED it. If I'd let the heart decided I would have taken it in a flash, but at over double the price of what I got for the 197, I'm wondering is it really twice as good?

Welcome to the fold. Lots of peeps here to share the experience with.

Looking forward to it. Now to find out when the next Qld ride out in will be...

Thanks. Can't wait to get the car and take it for a strap. Somewhere twisty preferably :D (Mt Cootha, Mt Mee, where else around Brisvegas?)

Howdy Sizzle,

The lads up here usually hit Mt Nebo and Mt Glorious...i assume you know these as well, otherwise... you're in for a treat!

Pics when you get her, and give me a yell when you want to service and/or mod your new ride. Happy to help out.

Anyways, welcome aboard and hoep to see you around Brisneyland in the future.

Cheers,

WOLF

The lads up here usually hit Mt Nebo and Mt Glorious...i assume you know these as well, otherwise... you're in for a treat!

I can't wait! Let me know when the next ride out is :D

And for the voyeurs out there (who isn't?), here's my new baby, going to pick her up tomorrow!

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/pri ... &silo=1011

Hey Wolf I'll def hit you up on the service and mods advice too. It's done about 14k's so next one is the 20?

Mod wise I'm already imagining it with the side skirts and front/rear spoiler :drool::drool::drool::drool: Other than that I'm keen to keep it pretty stock and unmolestered (it's still on warranty), unless you can recommend me something I simply MUST have? My rubber arm is flexible :D

Hey Wolf I'll def hit you up on the service and mods advice too. It's done about 14k's so next one is the 20?

Mod wise I'm already imagining it with the side skirts and front/rear spoiler :drool::drool::drool::drool: Other than that I'm keen to keep it pretty stock and unmolestered (it's still on warranty), unless you can recommend me something I simply MUST have? My rubber arm is flexible :D

Heheh...yep. Send me an email, but i don;t i'll have to twist much at all.

Cheers,

WOLF

btw: see this thread, all the way to the end, and keep an eye on it.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13754&start=750

I won't go into the details again but for those interested in further details/discussion, see here:

From what I just read over at whirlpool:

a) You have insurance.

b) The other party has been identified and charged by police

My suggestion

-> Make your insurance company do the legwork. Make a not-at-fault claim citing the police details and make it their problem - you give them good money to take care of you!

That really sucks mate, sorry to hear :(

Have a real good look at your bonnet too - I'm pretty sure they're made out of aluminium so won't be cheap to fix/replace if needed.

Good luck.

Terrible news and on the first day of ownership :(

Hope it all gets sorted asap mate.

My suggestion

-> Make your insurance company do the legwork. Make a not-at-fault claim citing the police details and make it their problem - you give them good money to take care of you!

I just did, thanks for the suggestion griffyn :)

RACQ said they will send someone out to see the car so now the wait... :news:

Some updated after pics: http://img850.imageshack.us/slideshow/w ... senger.jpg

Welcome and lovely car! And SO stunned to see what those pricks did to your baby, but glad to hear it'll all be sorted soon. I agree, check everywhere for scratches and scuffs. You don't deserve this so make them pay every cent for their damages.

Here's hoping your car comes back ready to battle again :)

Thanks PBJ, and to everyone else for your support, I'm really feeling the love on this forum :D

The car is currently at the workshop now waiting for an RACQ assessor to do his thing. I can't wait to get back on the road again. Hopefully by the end of next week at the latest!

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the car back on Friday. Not happy Jan!

First, the front bumper was covered in white specs of paint. To my horror I thought they were stone chips at first, but I showed it to the guy and he promptly had the bumper cleaned up (claimed it was from overspray).

This led to the discovery of actual stone chips on the bumper! These were not on the car before they went to the workshop!

Furthermore, there were two long scratches on the side next to the door (which thankfully buffed out), but there was a noticeable scratch on the side sill that also wasn't there before.

To add insult to injury, the guy claimed there was a dodgy repainting spray job on the front bumper, suggesting the previous owner had been in an accident. If he hadn't have pointed this out, I wouldn't have even realised. But, I told him I'd done a pre-purchase inspection which claimed there were "no signs of body repairs, paint thickness is consistent with original factory thickness".

This got me thinking, was the reason the car was in their shop so long because they were trying to fix up an 'accident' they'd had while taking care of my car?

Furthermore, he claimed the car was not driven anywhere, but I'd noticed that since the car was towed to the workshop, 4 kms had been driven since. Why would anyone need to drive the car for that far if the only job done was to replace the windscreen and respray the bonnet?

I've taken this up with RACQ and am taking it to an RACQ assessment centre on Tuesday. Hopefully they can advise me who's BS'ing and if the workshop is at fault for these damages.

Any chance you have pictures of the kms before and after.

This would have helped the claim.

Does sound dodgy as you have done your homework and taken note of the details.

Make a complaint and follow through.

Get them to state they believe there was damage before, and then show RACQ your assessment to contradict this.

IMO

Any chance you have pictures of the kms before and after.

This would have helped the claim.

Does sound dodgy as you have done your homework and taken note of the details.

Make a complaint and follow through.

Get them to state they believe there was damage before, and then show RACQ your assessment to contradict this.

IMO

No pics of the K's after unfortunately, but RACQ did note the K's before (exact same figure I memorized). Apparently they have a warehouse they keep their cars overnight so this may explain the K's driven.

I've escalated this with RACQ but they stand by their original assessment that it was previous damage and are adamant that the workshop was not responsible. I wish I'd done the original pre-inspection report with RACQ but I'd done it through State Roads unfortunately :(