Hi - considering a 182 Cup - got a few Q's?

Dr Nick

Hi everyone, my name is Nick. I'm currently in the market for a new car and am looking at a wide variety of things. Now I'll be honest I come from a background of thumping V8's. I love them. But in the last couple of years I discovered turbo's. Damn they are fun. I have also been riding sports bikes for ~5 yrs. I just sold my GSXR1000. Previous cars have all been utes, 1 5ltr V8 holden, and 2 different turbo hilux's. I got rid of the bike and utes as I live in Sydney now and never get a chance to ride. Having a highly modded hilux with no air con, no power steer, and being super loud soon got old. Anyway, you get the picture, I love stuff that goes quick.

Now I'm looking for a car that is fun to drive (has to have some go), not too thirsty (however I dont worry about that too much, but something that uses less than 15L/100km around town would be nice), and is comfortable. The 182 Cup seems to fit reasonably well.

I went for a test drive in a MK4 Golf GTi on the weekend. Nice car, drove very well, comfy etc. But lacking in power.

I also went in a 182 Cup. It had an air filter and full exhaust. With 3 blokes in the car it was pulling quite well i thought (for a little cracker jack!) and it wasnt even going past 5000rpm (apparently where they start singing).

I liked the car, but didnt drive myself. It seems to be an ok price $13K, however is almost due for its major service (100K km). Can you guys tell me how much this would cost? Guy reckoned it would be ~$1500, but i have no idea about these cars. Also the clutch felt quite heavy (though i didnt drive it, just tried it stopped), is this normal? For a little car i was expecting it to be much lighter, and in comparison to the golf it was very stiff.

All your help would be appreciated! Thanks guys!

Welcome Nick!

It sounds like you may have drive the FRB 182 Cup at Auburn with full Milltek exhaust? (previously Teki04 and RC182&225's old car). Just be warned that it was a repairable write-off.

A stock mk4 Golf GTI won't touch a Clio for performance and handling 8)

Do some reading on the Clio II section - there is a thread with a title along the lines of "What to look for when buying a Clio" which is many pages long and worth the read :wink:

Good luck!

Go for it Dr Nick Riviera.

The 182 is a fun car with a very raw, rewarding drive. My Misses reckons it's a motorbike with a roof. 182's pull hard and most of the time I get around 8-9 per 100km. 13K seems like a good deal but Clio's need to be treated just right. As for the clutch, yes they are heavy but the 172 was worse.

Cost of servicing can be high, but not crazy. Most new cars cost alot through dealers to get serviced. I'm sure not as much as your turbo Hilux's.

Good luck with it. If you put up the car for sale someone here will probably know it.

Howdy Doc,

Yeah, not going to get many people telling you not to get one... and as i've stated elsewhere, it's for a good reason.

They are simply GREAT in every way.

Clutch cable bit stiff, but most live with it. You can always get a new one if the old one is over 5 years old etc.

I'd take care and do my research on that one if it is the writtenoff one.

As for the 100km service, check the service history and see WHEN the timing belt and ACC belt were done.

Can be expensive, but i can help you there. Parts alone can somtimes reach over $1000, but can come cheaper.

Find a good mechanic, or better yet wait for Paul V *(look around forum for posts on him).

Cheers,

WOLF

Thanks for your help guys. Yes the one i looked at was the on in Auburn, a blue one with white stripes. Yep full exhaust and filter. Sounded pretty good!

Im a little hesitant now that you have mentioned it was written off. I feel that a small light car like this would never be quite right it it was smashed up. It did look very clean when i looked at it, only one small chip and scratch on the door. Other than that it looked like it was in good nick.

Do you guys have any more info on what happened to the car exactly? Feeling a bit bummed now :(

Hi Nick,

See this thread for more info about the car: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13630 (2nd page has pics) I'd personally stay away from it..

182 Cups are quite thin atm.. I got extremely lucky and found mine only a couple suburbs away from where I live a few weeks ago. Hopefully more pop up soon.

Best of luck,

Aaron

Hi Azz, thanks for the link. Looks like it took a pretty big hit. Probably best to walk away. I might still go have a drive in it just to see what they are like for myself, then decide if i want to get another one...

Yeh, still worth a drive as it sounds particularly good 8)

200-cell hi-flow cat + Milltek cat-back (thanks to Teki04)

Thanks for your help guys. Yes the one i looked at was the on in Auburn, a blue one with white stripes. Yep full exhaust and filter. Sounded pretty good!

Im a little hesitant now that you have mentioned it was written off. I feel that a small light car like this would never be quite right it it was smashed up. It did look very clean when i looked at it, only one small chip and scratch on the door. Other than that it looked like it was in good nick.

Do you guys have any more info on what happened to the car exactly? Feeling a bit bummed now :(

It was T boned by a Civic and written off, then rebuilt, and now it is for sale.

As for the car itself (and I don't mean any disrespect to Teki or RS182&225), It always had a heavy clutch, heavier than my own 182C I had at the time, it did not feel as quick (just seat of the pants feel really and means nothing, but then the guy who bought My 182 said that mine felt quicker than the rest so maybe I was lucky), and I know it was back at the stealers a lot for warranty, although this could be down to the fact that Teki is a great big perfectionist :lol:

I'd keep away from this baby, I'm sure it is fine and everything but it will be very hard to sell off again simply because of it's history. No one can hide from OZRS!!! :hail:

Hi Azz, thanks for the link. Looks like it took a pretty big hit. Probably best to walk away. I might still go have a drive in it just to see what they are like for myself, then decide if i want to get another one...

I must admit I miss that sound!

I must admit I miss that sound!

Me too :cry:

Me too :( I had that Exhaust on My 182 as well :(

Even if it was repaired well, because it has been written off, it isn't worth $13K. More like $8K with that history hanging around its neck...

Though it went for 7 - 8k at the auction before the repairs, so it's not like anyone is making a lot from it.

tekis182.jpg