Phase 1 RS225 vs Phase 2 RS225

mpatton

I'm in the market for an RS225. Read a lot of reviews online and think this might be the car for me.

I'm looking to spend sub $20K.

I've read that the suspension changes that came in with the Phase 2 (and Phase 1 cup) greatly improved the handling.

My question is how much better are they? How hard do you have to push the car before you notice the difference?

Does the ESP mess with the fun that much.

I drove a 2004 today and to be honest it seemed pretty well sorted. But obviously hard to tell when the salesmen is next to you and you're tooling along in traffic at 6pm.

Not many Phase2 225's available out west ATM.

But there is another Phase 1 listed on carsales for 15.5K with 70K, which seems pretty good buying.

Bascially, I'm looking for a daily driver that you can wring some fun out of when you want to.

I have thoughts about doing track days but it's not really a priority.

Any thoughts and insights are welcome.

Welcome and happy hunting!

I would advice the Cup chasis. Should be able to get a nice P1 cup for 18-20 i would think..

AS for the difference, ive only owned a phase 2 cup (3dr) and can confirm i dont find it too stiff or hard for everyday use. In fact its a level more refined than my old clio was (with some suspension work)

OzSport is out your way and there are a few other Meggy owners in WA on here..

Haven't owned one ,but can only agree with above.

Cup chassis is always a benifit for the harder(more fun) drive etc.

Good luck with your hunt, you should find a good one if you're patient.

Cheers,

WOLF

Additionally i believe the Ph1 non-cup didnt have non switchable traction control.

The Ph1 cup did, the Ph2 cup does.. not sure on ph2 non-cup.

Need to pull together a meggy buyers guide. (beleive Tubbsy put a link up to the Evo used car review which was worthwhile reading)

The Ph1 Non Cup (ie the original 225) had a traction control (well...ESP) that you could switch off.

The problem was it switched itself back on again if you farted. Or went over about 30 km/h. Or did anything else exciting, like feel up your girlfriend or open a can of pepsi.

But if money is an issue, and you need to get a P1 Non cup, they are a good buy, and there is a way to wire up a switch to turn the pesky ESP off and keep it off.

Then you only have to worry about the lifeless steering.

The rest of the issues can be solved considering the price you can pick the cars up for now.

Cheers - Dave.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback.

I will try to be patient and wait for the "right" one to come along. (or down in price).

But now that I've decided to upgrade, each km in my weezy 1990 corolla is becoming increasingly painful.

I had read the evo review and nearly everything else I could find about the 225's.

But I was looking for some non-track performance feedback, which you guys have provided. So cheers for that.

Will keep people posted on any developments search wise.

there are some pretty well priced non-cups around perth atm.

74k for $15k http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/pri ... &R=9679029

$18k with sunroof http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/dea ... &R=9341678

70k for $15.5 looks good in this colour, major service and one owner http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/pri ... &R=9574026

its hard doing the waiting game!

• 2 weeks later...

I paid $20K for my ph2 non cup with barely 30K's on the clock, still under factory warranty. A great car and very good value I thought.

Didn't want the cup, going by my back-jarring experience with the 182 I had previously. Also took the advice of somebody I met with a ph1 cup who said....'it's no good as a family car, my son has very strong neck muscles thanks to the suspension', or words to that effect.

Cups add around $4000-5000 to the price, sometimes more, so it depends on which way you're inclined....comfort or hardcore handling.

Originally listed for 28.5 and now down to 25.5.

Still a bit optimistic according to redbook.

I really should go have a drive to compare to the non-cups I've driven.

Just a busy time of year and lots of other stuff going on.

Maybe there will be post-christmas specials? :)

The interior alone I think is worth going to the cup. There is a red non cup though in NSW with the leather option.

Is the leather (and CD stacker) the only difference in interior spec between cup and non cup?

Mine has a full leather interior, including doors, gear knob, wheel, etc, done through the Renault dealership/supplier here in melbourne. They did a fantastic job......and it looks like real leather :)

• 2 weeks later...

I got myself a 225 ph2 non cup 3 dr for well under 20K with 37,000 kms on the clock in bright blue.

Great lookingmachine cant wait to get my hands on it.

I didnt want the leather, had a 225 LX 04 for a while loved driving it ....will love driving the new one too.

Originally listed for 28.5 and now down to 25.5.

Still a bit optimistic according to redbook.

I really should go have a drive to compare to the non-cups I've driven.

Just a busy time of year and lots of other stuff going on.

Maybe there will be post-christmas specials? :)

The interior alone I think is worth going to the cup. There is a red non cup though in NSW with the leather option.

I looked at this car (3door right?) a few weeks back for a mate.

Clean car, only a few minor blemishes on the exterior. Inside was near perfect. Leather was nicely done indeed.

Price drop down to 13 from 15 so I figured this was worth a look.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/pri ... &R=9574026

Owner isn't a car guy.

His reason for the price drop is that the climate control has stopped working.

He was advised by phone that it is probably the fan motor and the cost to fix would be $500 + labour.

Anyone else had a similar issue and know how much it was to fix?

Car has been serviced regularly (stamps in the service book), but all the receipts are with his accountant.

Car drives well enough but just has a feel of not being particulary well cared for.

Food crumbs in the seat, golf balls in the boot, different branded tyres front and back, etc.

He was pretty firm on the price and wasn't particularly interested in getting the climate control fixed before selling it.

Have decided to give this one a miss.

So the search continues.

Unless I'm overreacting, which I don't think I am

tough decision, the price is very good. And if it indeed has a great service history and 60k major done, then that counts for a lot. it depends how picky you are on the interior, could always pay a few hundred to have it detailed in and out. But like you i wouldn't like odd tyres etc, but that would be reason for me to ask him to know down another $1k with reason that you'd spend that on new tyres. but patience is a virtue, the right one will come up.

That is a very good price indeed. I haven't seen one that cheap before. When I was looking a few months back there was one here in Melb at a dealer with 105k's and it sold within a couple of weeks to somebody interstate for $14K.

I would get the car checked out by a qualified person and if it's all OK, get the air con fixed, perhaps some new tyres and I reckon you've got yourself a good deal.....especially if he accepts $12-12500. That price is unheard of.

I spoke to the guy that sold the 2005 blood orange one with 74K referenced above.

He let that one go for 13K.

So I was using that as the benchmark for pricing this one.

Although he was just trying to beat the trade in price he was offered which wouldn't be too difficult.

I know of an R26 that will be sold at good money next month :wink:

• 2 years later...
I'm in the market for an RS225. Read a lot of reviews online and think this might be the car for me.

I'm looking to spend sub $20K.

I've read that the suspension changes that came in with the Phase 2 (and Phase 1 cup) greatly improved the handling.

My question is how much better are they? How hard do you have to push the car before you notice the difference?

Does the ESP mess with the fun that much.

I drove a 2004 today and to be honest it seemed pretty well sorted. But obviously hard to tell when the salesmen is next to you and you're tooling along in traffic at 6pm.

Not many Phase2 225's available out west ATM.

But there is another Phase 1 listed on carsales for 15.5K with 70K, which seems pretty good buying.

Basically, I'm looking for a daily driver that you can wring some fun out of when you want to.

I have thoughts about doing track days but it's not really a priority.

Any thoughts and insights are welcome.

Well, that's got to be close to a record.

916 days from original post until finally parking one in the garage.

Haven't been looking the whole time as we have moved house a couple of times and just recently purchased our own home.

A grey 2007 225 cup finally graces the driveway

Very happy. Wife is even happier as she was tired of driving my current 1990 Corolla.

So hoping to get out to the odd drive day or social event.

But for the moment just looking forward to driving the new toy around.

:D

And to appease the "Pics or ban brigade" (from the original carsales ad)

frontehp.jpg

sideaj.jpg

Congratulations on your acquisition! Mine's exactly the same colour but a non-Cup 2006. Have had it 2 years now and no, the novelty hasn't worn off.

Keep your eyes and ears peeled for the next drive day....you'll see why it's a truly rewarding driver's car. :)