New Clio RS200 owner craving information

katabatika

Hello everyone,

I have just become the proud new owner of a 20th Anniversary Clio RS200 which I am still running in. I would love to hear from anyone who has information regarding performance modifications and places to buy accessories. Has anyone put harnesses in their RS200s? Are there existing mounting points which can safely be used? I was also going to order in a footrest, has anyone fitted one of these? Also, what do you guys know about running in engines? The Renault service dude said don't rev over 5000rpm for the first 1000kms, but then I have read elsewhere that our English counterparts don't rev over 3000rpm for the first 1000km! Yikes, does anyone out there have some factual information about how to run in these puppies?

Looking forward to hearing from you and participating in discussions.

katabatika.

Welcome, [side note: how the heck is a self-respecting bogan meant to pronounce that name?] katbatika 8)

My car was a demo, and now has very good power figures. Avoid constant rpm, and change the oil at the first service to get the swarf out.

Welcome! Enjoy both your stay and your latest aquisition :D

re breaking in the engine/gearbox - I wouldn't go redlining it, but vary the revs a bit; don't keep it in the same gear/revs for too long at a time; vary the load too (find some hills to drive up etc)... pretty sure Renaultsport benchtest their engines before installing them in the cars so you should be right compared to many other manufacturers' products out there.

As for mods, get a feel for it once it loosens up a little and you may be pleasantly surprised to find that you may not need to do much to it at all. They are a darn good package straight outta the box.

I'm yet to see a 20th Ann. model up close. Hope to catch you at a drive day in Melb soon :wink:

Cheers, Dish.

Thanks peoples for your feedback. No wonder I am confused though, I have three responses regarding running in engines, and they range from conservative to extreme and inbetween. Still, please keep those thoughts rolling in, maybe I can ascertain how I should correctly break-in an engine for my next new car purchase!!!

Hey Dish,

I am always up for a drive, and I'm very excited about meeting other RS owners and enthusiasts. Could you please give me the heads up on being informed about RS activities in the Melbourne area.

Welcome katabatika.

Your rings will bed in very quickly, in the first few hundred kms. It's important to load up the engine at that time to get them to seal while the cylinder hone is wearing away. HIghways speeds and hills and wide open throttle are perfect.

It's varying load not rpms that is running in the engine, just avoid excessive rpms until 1000km then change the oil.

Make sure you enjoy it rather than worrying too much about running in :)

No existing harness mounting points AFAIK, I've had the seats out a couple of times. The only mount I haven't sorted out is drivers RHS because of the plasticy cover for seat height. I'm thinking of doing five point belt and getting the seat base modified so it comes through the seat and down to the floor. Four points seem to ride up too high above my hips whereas five points keep the lap belts down low on the hips.

Drive in the spur are good run-in drives :D

Hi and welocme.

Nice ride you've picked up. From what i know, and obviously read above as well:

- drive it normally, avoiding very high revs (stay south of the redline)

- more importantly, vary the revs and speed (ie: don't cost at 80kph at 3000rpm for 1 hour flat)

- give it a squirt, just short shift 'til 1000kms etc.

Cheers,

WOLF

part numbers helps me find you parts. Cheers... again.

Definitely avoid low rpm/high load situations.

So many opinions here on running in!

You've got it the wrong way round. You want maximum load on the engine. Excessive rpm is doing nothing for the rings so I would suggest avoiding it until the first oil change.

I completely disagree to most people here, you simply can't baby a motor or the piston rings won't seal properly.

Have a read here for details: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Definitely avoid low rpm/high load situations.

Same link I posted earlier :wink:

When my brother re-built his bike engine, rode it like he stole it from the word 'go'. Been almost 2 years now and no issues.

The best thing for the engine is bedding the rings. A good way to do it is go through the rev range (not hard), and let the engine slow down on over- run.

The procedure of running in by the books is for the rest of the drive-train as well and manufacture's need to cover themselves, as everything is fresh.

I agree to some extent with going nuts straight away on an engine, but its everything else that you need to worry about as well.

Years ago i had a drag car and all we did was run it at 3000 for 10 minutes, drop the oil and off I went. But that was an engine built with the best care, and I don't trust production line builders, even though everything is tested before the car leaves the factory, maybe its a bit of piece of mind.

Im also sure that before you got the car it had been thrashed by every person that sat in it from the factory, to the truck, to the ship, to the truck to the dealer etc etc.

The car I have was caught by the dealer principle being thrashed HARD by the mechanics in the back streets. It had 60km's on it already!!

My 2 cents..

The best thing for the engine is bedding the rings. A good way to do it is go through the rev range (not hard), and let the engine slow down on over- run.

The best thing for rings is engine load not rpms. Air + fuel creates pressure which seals the rings. If you don't get a good ring seal with hone left on the cylinders then you won't have a good engine.

Go find some hills and use wide open throttle.

That's what I did to my new dirt bike, rode around doing laps through a hilly area using wide open throttle and mid range rpm where max torque is.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts on running in engines. I must admit that I am still confused, but I am hoping I am on the right track - definitely not as extreme as some are saying, and yet probably too harsh according to others.

First of all, I started with only 12kms on the clock - so however the engine ends up, I will only have myself to blame. At less than 100kms, I did a run through the Black Spur where I gently but firmly increased and varied the load and the revs (I limited myself to 5000rpm, but probably got close to 6000rpm on occasion, although I certainly haven't heard the rev dinger yet. Every morning on my way to work, after the car has warmed up, I go up a very steep hill which I start at speed with maximum revs of 5000, and foot to the floor to progressively load up the engine. I try not to sit at the same speed for too long which can be difficult in traffic on the freeway.

I suppose time will tell if I've totally screwed it up, but please keep leaving your thoughts, at least I will be more knowledgeable for next time.

Hey welcome to the forum and RS ownership. Nice car you've got.

I bought my R26 from Dale Brede, former V8 supercar driver, and now GM of National Capital Motors here in Canberra. He told me something to the effect of: if I go too easy on it from new, it will always be a little soft.

Past experience suggests that "run it like you stole it" has some good grounding because I took my dad's brand new car for a hoon the day he bought it. I wanted to find out if the rev limiter really was 8500 (it was!). That car still runs great many years later.