Waiting for my RS250

Redd

hi all, i got introduced to this forum from meganesport.net by Mase.

i'm waiting for delivery of my Megane 250 Cup in Sport Yellow, it will be my first French car and i'm excited! i've come from a few very nice italian cars - 156 V6 and Fiat Coupe 20VT+ - and looking forward to finding out what the hot Renaultsport cars are all about.

i'm a self confessed track junkie and both my italians have seen regular track use at the Sepang F1 circuit. i am sure the 250 Cup will annihilate those two at the track.

Looking forward to learning more about the Megane here. cheers!

Redd

Nice choice of car mate.

If you're down in Singapore drop me a note....love to meet another RS fan in these parts.

I nearly replaced my beloved R26 that I had in Sydney when I arrived in Singapore but they're just too much here.

Went to the Malayan Motors launch of the 250 a couple of weeks back.....looks great in all the colours and especially with the 19 inch wheels.

DWR26, sure thing mate. i suspect i'll be heading down to singapore fairly often as tuners for renaults are nonexistent here in malaysia.

u should head over to Wearnes for a test drive of the 250 Cup. Ex-AI GP pilot, Dennis Lian, personally handles each 250 Cup test drive and he does things with the car you'd never imagine possible.

redd

Welcome aboard and congrats on the purchase!

I did a double take when you mentioned Denis Lian - I knew him when he was living in Melbourne about 12-13 years back! Top bloke, very down-to-earth and understated. Small world!

Please say hello to him for me whenever you next see him (tell him it's Dish who used to work at the Technical Book Shop - he may remember me).

well news ain't good. the RS scene is non-existent. all of 8 units were sold of the R26, and maybe even less of the Clio. most of them are rarely driven, you hardly ever see any RS cars on the road and the best selling Renaults are Kangoos because they are locally assembled and therefore cheaper. RS cars are fully imported and very pricey, competing with the likes of the Bimmers, VW Golf and Audis which are much more popular. i'm hoping the RS250 will lead a renaissance of sorts for RS cars here.

in terms of performance cars, the majority are Japanese, with Evo, STi and Civic Type-R being very popular. the most popular European mid-range performance marques are VW and BMW. the GTI tuning scene here is huge, followed by a lot of Minis. there's also a healthy following for Alfas and Fiats as well.

drifting is popular these days, but that's mainly dominated by the Japanese, as is the drag scene. you tend to see more Europeans at track.

redd

Welcome and congratulations on the car.

I looked at the price of the RS250 in Malaysia as an import option and was shocked at the price of cars over there, more shocked at the price of cars vs average income.

We (New Zealand) in recent years have had a lot of used Malaysian imports turning up on our streets, seems Renaults are reasonably popular but only the ones with small engines.

yeah imported cars here are severely taxed to protect the local auto builders like Proton and Perodua. luxury imports can be taxed as high as 300%, and that's close to what the the RS250 incurs when it lands here. bloody ridiculous if you ask me. and you're right, our average salary isn't that high either.

all of this courtesy of our racist apartheid government. but that's another story for another day... :P

but if you're thinking of importing via malaysia, these taxes and duties should not be imposed on you right? they only apply to cars that are registered for use on malaysian roads.

redd

clioF1 - we have some great driving roads here in malaysia. from single-lane trunk roads to beautiful mountainside twisties. some of the best driving roads can be found here, and add to that the relaxed attitude of the traffic police and malaysia is a great place to go driving.

we also have a great track in the Sepang F1 circuit, and open trackdays are AUD100 for a 3-hr session. i dont think there's anywhere else in the world you can drive a supercircuit at that sort of price.

we also have a very active autocross, drifting and rallycross scene here. so yeah, lots to do for the car enthusiast.

redd

we also have a great track in the Sepang F1 circuit, and open trackdays are AUD100 for a 3-hr session. i dont think there's anywhere else in the world you can drive a supercircuit at that sort of price.

:shock: Waaaaugh! That's what a hillclimb costs, not a trackday!

moosey - they are the old Kangoo i think. we have some weird tax loopholes here for cars that are 'assembled' in malaysia. i use the term loosely cos a lot of marques make use of this loophole by importing nearly complete cars minus the boot, bonnet and wheels, install those items in malaysia and call it 'locally assembled'. whatever works i guess...

redd

Hey Redd,

I went down to see my friends at Malayan Motors (Wearnes) today. I forgot to mention before that I used to work for a car manufacturer the last time I lived here....and they were our local dealers.

Anyway...had a drive of their RS250 demo....very nice I must say. Had a few observations though for the R26 owners out there.

1. The motor and power feel is very similar to a RSTunered Phase 2. In fact...too familiar for me to notice any serious extra urge.

2. It's quieter in the car and the materials of the interior are WAY better than the Phase 2

3. You sit noticeably lower in the new car ....the seats are awesome compared to the rubbish fakes we got on the Aussie R26's

4. Honestly...I didn't feel as much front end "feel" in the new car compared to my old R26 but that could be just down to time in the car.

Oh...and before I forget.....over here in Singapore......SGD$157,400 drive away! (I'll let you guys work out the exchange rate)

I think my second hand Scirocco was a good buy....but I may just wait for a local Ah Beng to lose a truck-load in the first 2 years and pick one up then.

PS- Saw my first Focus RS last Friday....in that awesome Electric Green colour. Looked FANTASTIC.

haha yah let someone else suffer the bulk of the depreciation then pick one up semi-new after 2 yrs. i hope they sell enough tho. over here you hardly see any R26 on the road and the ppl that've bought them don't seem to wanna sell them.

did you drive the FRS? i'd like to hear how it compares to the RS250.

redd

The Focus RS was just a chance sighting. I was just enjoying a Makan dinner in River Valley when it pulled up right where I was sitting. It's actually a very bulky looking beast....the colour was just plain amazing, although my wife (who always hated our Yellow R26) thought it was the worst colour she'd ever seen.

The Focus RS has more vents and gils in real life than in a picture. It looks great....but it's a Ford.