Megane 250 cup - worth buying?

ericablack36

Hi I am considerating buying a Megane 250 cup. I had a Golf GTi Mark 5 but it wasn't really suitable for the odd track day. I now have an Evo 9, which is awesome, but my wife doesn't like driving it; hard to park. I am thinking that the 250 cup might be the solution: something for her to drive around in the city and suitable for me to punt around the track once a month.

I would be interested in the view of members on this matter.

I have also heard the Renault has a below average build quality and it is not uncommon for owner of new cars to return them to the dealer to get them fixed. I would also be interested in the views of members on this matter as well.

cheers

Hey there, and welcome :D

What does she find difficult with the Evo 9 when it comes to parking?

As for build quality, that stuff that keeps getting bandied about may have well been true 20+years ago, but things are rather positive nowadays. You'll find that most manufacturer's products will have a percentage of NQR vehicles reaching consumers - it's not unique to Renault!

Cars are complex pieces of engineering and are generally built to a price, so you get what you pay for! That being said, I reckon Renaultsport punch above their weight :wink:

There's LOADS of info and ownership feedback here. Bear in mind that people generally make more noise when things go wrong than when everything is going well!

Hope the adventure is rewarding for you.

Cheers, Dish.

Welcome!

Well, it's hard for anyone to comment really, because very few have driven the 250. Having said that, from all journalistic accounts the 250 Cup sounds great. If you're into track days, the Clio 200 might be worth a look too.

With build quality comments, for me it's a non-issue in modern Renaults. You will find each generation gets better and better. It might be worth some research on the UK forums where the 250 has been out for a little while now.

Good luck in your decision 8)

Hey walkie, are your keyboard batteries going flat? :P

Typing on my 2-year old 3G iPhail with dodgy iOS4.0 upgrade FTL :(

Who knows (from local personal experience) what the 250 cup is like to drive etc., but I can tell you one thing, if your wife thinks the Evo is hard to park she would find the 250 twice as bad, have a look at the rear window and compare that to the evo.

Happy parking.

interesting question .

i have a worked evo 9 and a RS megane R26 .

the wife wont go in the evo . even before it was worked . its hard to park with the massive turning circle , cheap inside and noisy . but i love it despite all those failings .

the R26 is way more comfortable , way quieter , much nicer inside , way better ride and the one i'd choose for a trip . the wife likes driving it . you can fit a heap of stuff in the back .

the track times are obviuosly kwiker in the evo , but as you'll see from the wet track times below .. the RSM and RSC are pretty damn good . i remember the nats last year ... trip to winton in comfort with track wheels and jack and gear in the back , flying round winton for the day , comfortable and quick group run up to thredbo the winding way , then a comfortable and economical trip back to sydney .

as a reasonably priced allrounder with track capability its very hard to beat . nice to drive , quick enough stock and no need to waste money on mods . i would get one ahead of a X .

the RSM 250 is even better then the R26 apparently . better quality inside and just as quick if not kwiker + it looks hot . i aim to get one .

am keeping the evo for weekends and a few track days but not as an allrounder . [ getting turbo change this week for even more torque [ dont tell the wife ! ]

http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/resul ... /2010.WAKE [ the racer civic , golf and evo ahead of the RSC were heavily worked with forced induction .. the clio was bog stock ! ]

also consider the clio 200 . very nice .

Welcome,

Hope you stay and thus go ahead withthe purchase of the 250.

All been said above, but one litle thing to add...and your wife may agree on this one...

The 250 is simply brilliant to look at. Not mention it most likely still be unique and stand out.

So add that to the equation as it may be a point in favour.

Cheers,

WOLF

One car does not a sample make. However, I have had my R26 from new and had exactly zero problems with it.

I had to pull a few bits apart to install the iPod adaptor. A few years back I had a job as a mechanic doing car mods and stereo/alarm installs so I have pulled hundreds of cars apart the same way. The difference in the way the interior bits of the Megane fit together compared to the standard of cars in the 90s is a night & day difference. [As a side note on this, I bought the car from a friend of mine who owned the Renault dealer and he suggested that Renault purchasing Nissan taught them a few things about how the Japanese assemble cars to last.]

Mine has an annoying rattle that bugs me - it goes away every time I take the roof rack off and I go "oh yeah" (d'uh).

I drove it to Ballarat in January on cruise control and the computer told me 6.9 l/100k - not bad at all. I returned home to Canberra through Lakes Entrance and the smile on my face told me I was having huge fun in the twisty mountain roads.

Renault is not Audi - the car isn't perfectly assembled but it is pretty damn good. I would certainly consider buying another one. BTW I bought this one because I wanted a car I didn't have to mod - and 2 years later I am still happy.

... he suggested that Renault purchasing Nissan taught them a few things about how the Japanese assemble cars to last.

Since cars are designed and developed for 3+ years before release to the public, I don't know if Nissan's lessons would have filtered through in time for implementation into the Megane II, but they most certainly will have (to some degree at least) for the Clio III and Megane III.

• 1 month later...
Hi

I am based in Brisbane. I did consider at one stage buying a Clio, but I gave up due to frustration with the dealer. I would be interested in knowing what sort of experience other buyer have had.

cheers

I'm not the world's most experienced when it comes to buying from a dealer. But was it the dealer or just the individual sales person that made things awkward.

When I purchased my Clio Expression in 2003 it was the 3rd of 5 Melbourne Renault dealers that got my business. I got on fine with the salesman and he gave me the best price of the three. In fact one wouldn't give me a price, even though he was the closest to home.

Then in 2006 my mum was looking for a new car and had been to the Melbourne motor show to suss something out. The shortlist (without my prompting), had a Renault Megane sedan & a Honda Accord on it. We went to the Renault dealer closest to our homes, test drove the demo which was a hatch and again got a bit messed around by what can be best described as an inexperienced sales person. The upshot was that we decided to head to where my Clio came from. But in doing so, we were driving past the Honda dealer just down the road from the first Renault dealer. So we went for a sticky there. The rest is history and unfortunately Renault missed a sale.

So shop around the Brisbane/Gold Coast Renault dealers and hopefully you'll end up in a Renaultsport of either Clio or Megane breeding (because as Renault enthusiasts on this forum we'd rather see you in one of 'our' cars).

Failing that there's some Renault Australia people on ozrenaultsport that I'm sure will be happy to assist you with a purchase/information.

Hey ericablack36,

Which dealer in Brisbane are you going to? I'm going to the Upper Mount Gravatt one this Saturday to have a bit of a chat to them around pricing/potential trade in etc and then booking in a test drive when their 250 comes in. Will let you know how it goes, maybe we can get a group buy discount :P haha

ericablack36 and s4055928,

Steve said it best, time - place - and particular salesman are all key points.

I'm not a big fan (thsu far) with upper mt gravatt, but hey, maybe they have new sales people or dept head that wants sales.

The idea of going in together is a good one actually. 2 sales or 2 no sales reflects bigtime!

Send me an email or SMS to 0404139900, i am on the phone shortly with a contact's contact (so to speak).

See what i can do for one or better yet, both of you.

Cheers,

WOLF