Greetings!

birrel

Hello all,

After years of procrastination, i've finally taken the plunge and bought a car that was made after 1984, and i've done it in style with a red 2008 RS 197. I love it! Picked it up yesterday, and I find i'm looking forward to the 1 hr drive to work now...

No doubt there'll be many questions to come, and I look forward to picking a brain or two.

birrel

Hello all,

After years of procrastination, i've finally taken the plunge and bought a car that was made after 1984, and i've done it in style with a red 2008 RS 197. I love it! Picked it up yesterday, and I find i'm looking forward to the 1 hr drive to work now...

No doubt there'll be many questions to come, and I look forward to picking a brain or two.

birrel

welcome!

we have questions too, including "where are the pics?" :)

Welcome! As stated, PICSORBAN and where are you located?

Hello all,

birrel

Excellent! After first seeing the silver 197 @ my work, I fell in love with it too... and then the RS 200... and now the RS 250 :drool:

Thanks for the welcoming...welcome! I'm in Sydney, although I bought the car from Canberra, so my first drive was a road trip to Sydney. Quite fun. It's an ex-demo/Renault executive car so it's only got 8,000 km on the clock. I haven't taken any pics yet but will give it a go this weekend!

Yes, it's my first Renault. I was considering an RS 200 Cup Trophee, but was a bit put off by the price at the moment. Maybe in a couple of years...

One initial question - Is it possible to have an '08 197 retrofitted to Cup specifications? I don't want to remove the mod-cons, but I would have thought it would be possible to have the suspension work done to bring it up to Cup spec pretty easily? Having said that, perhaps it's not worth it, i'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Hi Birrel,

Nice pic up. There's always a way to improve your spec, sometimes OEM, sometimes aftermarket.

Are you just wantng the imrovement for spirited driving on weekends, or are we going to the track etc?

Cheers,

WOLF

Hiya Wolf,

Yeah I like that series of photos, they give a good perspective on the relative size of F1s. They're smaller than I thought!

http://www.allcarwallpapers.com/renault ... papers.htm

I don't think i'll bet getting it out on the track any time soon, so it will be just for getting about the place in a 'spirited' fashion! I'd like to keep it as genuine as possible, so i'm not going to go down the path of anything too outrageous. The reason I ask about the Cup Chassis is that I wasn't sure whether there was a 2008 197 Cup imported to Australia, or if indeed there is such an animal.

Oh that reminds me, my 197 came without floor mats! Could I bother you for a quote? PM is fine.

birrel

Later in the 197 lifespan in Aus there was the ability to order the Cup chasis pack on a 197 for circa 2K.

The R27 came std with the cup chasis and the recaro seats.

In terms of upgrades, i dont think it would be cost effective to retrofit the OEM cup back as there would be a number of small changes.

Some H&R Springs and some front camber adjustment would be worth looking into for not a huge outlay..

Oh and welcome!!

Later in the 197 lifespan in Aus there was the ability to order the Cup chasis pack on a 197 for circa 2K.

I remember talk of this being the go after the R27 came out but never actually heard of anyone ordering one. Anyone know what the go is?

Welcome! A couple of the 197 guys on here have fitted Eibach springs to their "Normale's" and seem pleased with the result. I doubt that there were ever any 197's customers who ordered the Cup packs nor the optional Xenons), R27's being the exception.

Hi Weezer!

Yeah, it wasn't too bad a deal I guess. I was hoping there'd be more for private sale in Sydney, but most seem to be down in Melbourne. Are there many Clios getting about in Canberra? Mine's now made the move to Sydney, so there's one less now...

Thanks Matt, it's good to be here!

I'm overseas at the moment so I hope it wasn't mine getting about Centenial Park! It's supposed to be sitting in my Dad's garage... Is the 200 your first Clio? And is it a Trophee? I wasn't actually looking at a Clio until I happened to take a 200 for a drive at the suggestion of a mate and I was hooked. Went for the slightly cheaper option with the 197, but hopefully in a couple of years time...

Hi Weezer!

Yeah, it wasn't too bad a deal I guess. I was hoping there'd be more for private sale in Sydney, but most seem to be down in Melbourne. Are there many Clios getting about in Canberra? Mine's now made the move to Sydney, so there's one less now...

Nah not too many, especially 197's (seen maybe 2, '147owner' being one of them), and haven't seen a 200 yet other than in the showroom. A few Phase 1's & 2's nipping about.