Possible VW Convert

CCKC

Hi Guys,

I have been eyeing the new RS250 for awhile now but have a few concerns and hope I can get some feedbacks from proud Renault owners.

1. Parts are really expensive to replace?

2. Built quality, i.e. rattles everywhere?

3. High Maintenance, service fees?

Please don't quote me on these as they are just what I read and what I heard from people I know which used to own Renault.

Thanks. :)

Welcome :)

Only a handful here have even laid eyes upon the 250. From all accounts from British and European owners it seems like a well built car. Yes, Australian delivered RS Clio II models tend to rattle and squeak a bit but it varies from car to car. From the Megane II models onwards things have improved greatly.

Parts pricing varies depending on what it is exactly. Parts unique to the RS variants will be generally more expensive than the standard model etc but they are pretty much on par with many Japanese manufacturers from our collective experience.

Expect slightly higher maintenance costs as they are performance oriented vehicles. Can't have everything!

Welcome! :D

1. Absolute rubbish (see Wolf on this forum).

2. They're mechanically pretty good, but don't have the VW flair for interior over-engineering

3. Depends on what you're comparing to. Generally lineball.

Nothing will get better grin per kilometre :wink:

Welcome. Even though I haven't taken delivery yet, I am a VW convert (see my thread down a bit). In my research of all of the above questions, the answers seem to be coming back quite positive.

I'm not sure how long you've had your R36 for but as you probably know VW dealer servicing and VWA parts prices are pretty high in the grand scheme of things. Renault looks to be much cheaper to run and whilst not having that solid over-engineered VW/German fell quite well built from what I've seen (on the newer cars that I've looked at that is). :)

Cheers,

Trent

No offence but if you think a R36 is fun you will positively explode with excitement in a Renaultsport car, you can’t compare VW and Renault products at all in the driving department.

Build quality isn’t going to be on par with VW, unfortunately not much is.

Parts and service are on par with VW products here in most cases, if you plan on keeping the car, most expensive wearing parts won’t need replacing until 75,000km+ anyways.

Just a comment on people's perception that VWs are bullet proof. The MkV Golf was prettty hit and miss with the quality of the interior. VW actually admitted they dropped the ball on it. Some of the Polos have had some issues too and DSG probably has a slightly above average failure rate as well in comparison to what is normally expected of a conventional manual or full blown automatic. Overall though I'd say they are still quite ahead of the vast majority.

French cars have had a pretty bad reputation for a while haven't they, which is why I guess these questions crop up.

Cheers,

Trent

Agree with most of above, but especially Griffyn (cheers for the plug too).

I LOVE the look of the Scirocco, but the 250 is now even surpassing that.

The 250 has the eye candy looks of cars over 100K, it drives as well in most cases and even better in some, yet it's price tag is well well under them.

In short, it may not be perfect, but a lot of the the problems previous Meganes may of had are slowly beign erased....so we'll get their!

Cheers,

WOLF

Just a comment on people's perception that VWs are bullet proof. The MkV Golf was prettty hit and miss with the quality of the interior. VW actually admitted they dropped the ball on it. Some of the Polos have had some issues too and DSG probably has a slightly above average failure rate as well in comparison to what is normally expected of a conventional manual or full blown automatic. Overall though I'd say they are still quite ahead of the vast majority.

French cars have had a pretty bad reputation for a while haven't they, which is why I guess these questions crop up.

Cheers,

Trent

I was just thinking that. I have a VW Multivan and there might be a reason why (low yeild, place of manf.?), but it is far from well built, seems like everything is about to fall off and I am always worried about the lecky doors, which I love having just don't want to have the conversation with my service guy if the stuff up.

I do love the van tho, no other car comes close for what it does, except an Espace, which I miss my one :(

My MkV was a bucket - mates can't believe I've gone to RS to find a reliable ride. R36 is a fantastic car - nothing competes with it at that price point (exclude aussie cars for obvious reasons). My best mate has an R36, we competed in dutton rally, only beaten in our class by a previous gen RS4.

Cars at this level (below 80K) all relatively cost the same to repair and or maintain. Buy an RS because you want a smaller car, you can't directly compare. I'd have and R36 and an RS in the garage if I could...

my R26 doesnt have expensive parts , doesnt rattle and is cheap to service .

i think a segment on fifth gear a while back showed it was expensive to replace a headlight or something and the myths gone on from there . imho , not worse or better than any other normal eurp brand .

remeber the clios we talk about here with the odd rattle issue may be nearing 10 years old and have high klms.. the newer the model the better the build .

i wouldnt hesitate to get a 250 .. really want one !

[ genuine story .. alex and i test drove a polo gti demonstrator before we confirmed the clio was for us .. and it had a bad RATTLE in the dashboard . that put us off . seriously ! we also tested the golf and it was better made but obviously a newer model . am sure the new polo will be fine dashwise :]

Not expensive compared to a Mercedes but very expensive compared to a Corolla, They are fine until they get on a bit further, I drive mine hard and it has just hit 80,000km, on its lats service it needed new Brake Disks, Tie Rods, Engine Mounts, Cam belt, Water pump and Tensioner and a new Sump Gadget as it was leaking oil.. The invoice was for over $5,000.

Its all worth it tough.