Members Rides - should we keep it the way it is?

griffyn

Should the members rides section remain the way it is?  

1. 1. Should the members rides section remain the way it is?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't mind either way

I would enjoy a diary style section to evaluate and watch the stages of others build up's. I know we have different threads for all topics, but all together would be good.

I'd love to see a Diary of Evillb of the last year or so. There would be some weird science for sure.

I'd rather see the Members' Rides section phased out, with everyone swapping over to the Garage. There are many positive features in it (like the Blog and Guestbook sections, 1/4 mile and lap times etc) that the old section never had (and never will). It's called 'progress' LOL

I totally agree with Dish.

The Garage is a much more efficient and focused way to keep this kind of information rather than a set of messy posts in a forum.

The garage is soooo much more neater than the members ride section.

Everything is organised so much better and you can go in and see things a lot easier than looking through a thread.

I've not been into the member's rides section for sometime, thought it was sensible to use the Garage instead.

the trouble with the garage section is no one is notified of updates changes. another forum i'm a part of the garage section includes a blog sort of thing (may as well just be a thread) which allows replies etc and general garage updates also appear in your 'new posts' screen. If the garage did this people would realise its there...

being a programmer i dont mind having a look for a plugin which possibly extends the garage section, not sure who maintains the forum atm - not trying to step on any toes.

From memory I think walkies had to load in a weird order to get his updates in play. I think if the blog section could include comments and a logical structure with active post notifications it would be the ideal end point..

I like the garage section and think we could persevere with upgrades as we go but that's just me..

Don't mind the garage, but there's bugs in it. eg the "top" laptimes aren't showing the fastest times. As an example the fastest EC is showing a 2:02.5 (mine) but I updated that with a 1:59 (yes, there are faster results but this is personal experience with the garage). Same with OP GP, a 1:32.55 is nowhere near the fastest lap logged into the garage. Other tracks have the same issue.

Nath, Sorry I've not got back to you, been trying to figure out why your times show differently (they seem to be in order of when they were added?). You seem to be the only one having the problem (unless anybody else is having the problem???).

Go to this page

garage.php?mode=lap_table

Down the bottom is "Laps Sorted By:" and set it to "Time" and "Ascending Order" then click "Go" and see if the problem is still happening?

Just noticed the thread title and poll question have the opposite meaning?

:oops: That'd be me. Will change thread title to avoid further confusion.

I like the members rides section just the way it is.

Its great to have a place where you can post some photos and not have to listen to the usual "I like it" "I don't like it" crap. Its just....here are some photos, have a look if you like.

If I want comments of feedback, I'll post the photos somewhere else.

The other thing I like about the members rides section is that since no one can post (well, except admins, who rarely have) is that once the thread is old and out of date, you can simply delete it yourself, as you are the only one who has posted in it.

I vote leave it the way it is, as there are plenty of other avenues for people who wan't general discussion.

I like the members rides section just the way it is.

Its great to have a place where you can post some photos and not have to listen to the usual "I like it" "I don't like it" crap. Its just....here are some photos, have a look if you like.

If I want comments of feedback, I'll post the photos somewhere else.

The other thing I like about the members rides section is that since no one can post (well, except admins, who rarely have) is that once the thread is old and out of date, you can simply delete it yourself, as you are the only one who has posted in it.

I vote leave it the way it is, as there are plenty of other avenues for people who wan't general discussion.

I think the question arose because Speeedy did create another thread to discuss his mods and it was moved to the members rides sections.

Would it be possible to set up the members rides section so that you could switch on other peoples comments when you create the thread? That way, if you don't want your mods discussed you just switch off the comments.

Thanks Brendan - I don't have the problem when I sort by times in the full lap table for a track, it's only on the top laps table. I think it's not just me though for the top laps table as other tracks also have the same problem (ie where I'm not the only one who's posted a time).

Would it be possible to set up the members rides section so that you could switch on other peoples comments when you create the thread? That way, if you don't want your mods discussed you just switch off the comments.

great idea

I think the Member's Ride section should be like a Renault only media section. It would be good if people posted decent (ie. not camera phone with your cat in the background (unless it's really cute)) pics of their rides, mods, photoshoots, social meets etc etc. Yes, we have some sections for these things already (e.g. Post your latest mods thread) but I think it would still work. I know when I visit CS.net I pretty much only look at the Clio Media section, unless I'm hunting for some specific info.

I think the Garage is good being neat and tidy, but it seems a little disconnected from the rest of the forum. I like it as a logbook of progress, stats and comparisons etc.

If the Member's Rides was opened up a bit more to include comments, I think it would run smooth enough - we're a decent bunch of people around here :wink:

Don't mind the garage, but there's bugs in it. eg the "top" laptimes aren't showing the fastest times. As an example the fastest EC is showing a 2:02.5 (mine) but I updated that with a 1:59 (yes, there are faster results but this is personal experience with the garage). Same with OP GP, a 1:32.55 is nowhere near the fastest lap logged into the garage. Other tracks have the same issue.

Nath, I noticed this too - I think it's something to do with the way the time is inputed.

Thanks Brendan - I don't have the problem when I sort by times in the full lap table for a track, it's only on the top laps table. I think it's not just me though for the top laps table as other tracks also have the same problem (ie where I'm not the only one who's posted a time).

Nath, I noticed this too - I think it's something to do with the way the time is inputed.

Just started a new thread about the problem

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15315

If you can head over there and make sure I'm looking in the right spot that'd be great. I'm keen to get this problem solved.

i think the poll should start again - just to be fair (i think i clicked the wrong thingy)

You're able to chang your vote - the buttons are to the left of ghe red bars, and you can submit again :wink:

I'm a bit confused, what with the two threads (I think), plus the mix up in the poll wording et al.

I still like having an avenue of posting a few picts, and not having any comments.

I assumed that having a "toggle switch" in a forum to enable or disable this was not possible, otherwise it would have been done already.

Just to add a bit more......"IF" this was possible, it should be available in the for sale section.

We should have the option to post a For Sale add, and not have a lot of crap posts dumped in there.

I mean, its nice to have "Well Wishers"....wishing us well with the sale....but is it really necessary.

Or having people ask you questions you have already answered in the original posting (That's really fricking annoying......)

(Or really helpful people saying "You can get a cheaper one of lesser quality at Dumbomart....its not as good....but its cheaper.....") .

If people reply by PM, and ask a question that is relevant, the vendor can upgrade their posting (or maybe add a new one....is this possible....only the original poster can make additional posts......that would be cool....)

i have posts about coilovers, exhausts etc etc... in all these different sections which are open for replies. so why cant i just put all these posts in the one thread??

if i can put it all in one thread for my car i can add to it diary style and im happy for people to comment as they please. if your not open to feedback why post anything in the first place?? thats what a forum is, back and forth communication. not here is my post, but keep any opinion to yourself because im sensitive and cant handle negative opinions.

the garage sounds like a cool option which is being developed, but its still got its flaws as discussed. i just think we should be able to keep it simple and post an open thread about our car if we want.

i think i have been maybe too vocal about this, but i cant for the life of me understand what is the point of a closed thread??

but i dont run this forum, so its up to you guys. if you think the majority prefer it the way it is, so be it.

im happy to post stuff all over the place and have found everyones feedback and opinions MOST helpful

CHEERS

:)

SPEEEEDY.....I have seen over long experience.....loud mouthed vocal forum members with little experience or actual knowledge drive off forum members who would be a boon to the forum community. We all loose out here. It would be nice to give such people an avenue to help us, without idiots ruining it.

I am not sure why you keep "banging" on about people being too sensitive or not being able to handle negative opinions.....that's not the point at all. But most professional people are busy, and too many young dickheads banging on on forums simply drive them away. Again, we all loose out.

My opinion is that anything posted can benefit the forum, and people should be given the option to simply post in a section (Such as "Members Rides"...Or "For Sale") (Or any other area for that matter) and have the option to disable replies.

If you want replies......that's fine..... :D , why impose your views on others though.....???? (MUST TAKE FEEDBACK)......as if I give a FLYING f**k ABOUT FEEDBACK.......lol.....

I regularly post in, and contribute to many sections of the Forum, and have done so for several years now...

And I mix my cement by hand in a wheelbarrow, occasionally I take a spoonful.... :P

David.

But most professional people are busy, and too many young dickheads banging on on forums simply drive them away. Again, we all loose out.
as if I give a FLYING f**k ABOUT FEEDBACK.......lol.....

Dave why don't you just say what you mean then??? :rofl:

SPEEEEDY.....I have seen over long experience.....loud mouthed vocal forum members with little experience or actual knowledge drive off forum members who would be a boon to the forum community. We all loose out here. It would be nice to give such people an avenue to help us, without idiots ruining it.

I am not sure why you keep "banging" on about people being too sensitive or not being able to handle negative opinions.....that's not the point at all. But most professional people are busy, and too many young dickheads banging on on forums simply drive them away. Again, we all loose out.

My opinion is that anything posted can benefit the forum, and people should be given the option to simply post in a section (Such as "Members Rides"...Or "For Sale") (Or any other area for that matter) and have the option to disable replies.

If you want replies......that's fine..... :D , why impose your views on others though.....???? (MUST TAKE FEEDBACK)......as if I give a FLYING f**k ABOUT FEEDBACK.......lol.....

I regularly post in, and contribute to many sections of the Forum, and have done so for several years now...

And I mix my cement by hand in a wheelbarrow, occasionally I take a spoonful.... :P

David.

No your not "banging on" at all dave

this was the excuse i was given when i first asked:

Most banter is good, but it's very easy for people to take offence if something is misinterpreted, and we're all very passionate about our pride-n-joy. GRIFFYN

So what exactly is your point dave??

young dickheads "banging on" in their posts are driving away "busy professionals" ????? i dont understand what that means??

you say you post in and contribute in many sections, thats great. so whats the difference with doing the same in members rides??

:popcorn:

I think what most Dave is meaning is that most of the people who clocked up a few years of ownership, and hence are very knowledgeable in the ways of the RenaultSport, are now professional workers. Because of this they don't get to post as much as the newer members of the forum who seem to be uni students with a lot more time on their hands.

I think what Dave is saying is those that pop in with limited time it's nice to read a few threads that haven't filled up with useless posts.

Personally I don't have a lot of time to pop in and see what's going on. e.g. I didn't care about the endless whining about the price of the Clio 200, however that was most of the thread. That was a waste of my time to read through all the junk just to find people's opinion on how the car drives, the interior, the options, etc.

I think being able to switch on/off comments by the original poster is an excellent idea. Or at least be able to post subsequently to the initial post.

The Garage seems great to start with but it's not very interactive and finally not that useful. ie modifications have to have exquisitely accurate descriptions to be worthwhile etc.

One of the main reasons for forums existing (from a technical pov) is being able to share your own hard work/investigations with others, and be able to draw from their efforts in return.

Not many people use the 'blog' section of the garage. Some are great (ie walkie86 silver bullet).

I haven't tried the 'guestbook' section for anyone yet. If anything, negative comments would seem a greater invasion of privacy (I mean, you're in their 'garage' ffs)

Understanding why someone has made a choice can often be as useful as the final choice itself (as garage only advertises your final choice)

cheers

OK - I have a few ideas:

1. We scrap either the Garage section (not gonna happen as far as Admin team are concerned as there are many pro's in its favour) or the Member's Ride section (which is just about redundant anyways cos of the Garage now);

2. We keep the 2 sections as is;

3. We keep the 2 as is, however each thread is either locked at the request of the OP (original poster) or left open for others' comments.

I think both are under-utilised in any case :?

How about open for comments, but if you prefer not to have any, then ask it to be locked immediately, or simply state in your first comment..."no comments please".

If someone does...admin delete.

...or am i missing the point?

Cheers,

WOLF

Even moderating the forum takes a fair bit of time, as much as I love the forum, I'm not willing to spend the extra time that would require. We already get hit with around 50 spam threads a day, and that's what I usually deal with first.

first u said its a closed forum because we didnt want to upset people with negative comments,

now it sounds like its just easier for you to moderate a closed forum?? I have no idea on the work involved but i can help if u like, im on my computer all day at work

why cant we just do what wolf recommends above? that seems so simple to me?

closed for people who dont want replies, and open for everyone interested in others opinions

• 2 weeks later...
Even moderating the forum takes a fair bit of time, as much as I love the forum, I'm not willing to spend the extra time that would require. We already get hit with around 50 spam threads a day, and that's what I usually deal with first.

I'll mod the member's rides forum seeing as I'm definitely active enough.

Dig?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm guessing by this stage pretty much everyone has worked out that you can now comment on posts in members rides.

This thread is now moot, and locked to boot. :)

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.