New soon-to-be 172 owner

Marek

Hi everyone,

I'm from Brisbane and I just recently put down a deposit in a 2003 Silver Clio 172 (first registered in 2005). The car is in mint condition, having done only 35,000kms. Unfortunately the guys that did the roadworthy cracked the windscreen, and replaced it with a standard Clio one. This situation is still being rectified, but with a bit of luck I'll have the car by Christmas!! This will be my second car (my first was a black 1.6 Dynamique), but I came oh sooooo close to fulfilling my dream of owning an Italian car! But the Clio sport proved to be considerably more exhilarating than a 147 or Punto! Are there many Brisbane owners on the forum? If so do meets and cruises get organised often?

Welcome Marek,

You just missed our Mountain run on Sunday. Was really good with some very interesting moments.

Homerlovesbeer's Clio trying to eat Ol' Mates Meganes rear end, for one....and my favourite was Steve's Clio as he took off home. It's rally spec and has a one fantastic cracking roar!

As for your Clio, you have my twin!!... Silver 172, complied 2005, 36000kms when i just got it a few weeks ago. Whoa! as i read your post, i thought "is he talking about my ride?"

So yeah, most might be on a Christmas break, and before everyone takes off somewhere, we might do another run asap.

More specs on your ride please.

Cheers,

WOLF

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Sounds like I missed out on a lot of fun!!

The car is stock apart from some aftermarket 16" alloy wheels. At first this dissuaded me somewhat, but I have come to really like them and I do believe the car looks much better with 16s than the standard 15s. I will post pics as soon as a get the car.

Any advice on where it is best to service Clio sports? We get our 206 and Xsara serviced at French car care now that they are out of warranty, and so far our experiences have been good. Past experiences with Renault mean that I'd prefer not to have the car serviced at dealers, except for the GC one, but that is a bit of a hassle to get to.

If you are doing well with French car care in east briz, then you're doing well. Overall, i've heard they

are fine/ok...and that's better than crap like Bryan bert ford (renault). Bit harsh, but my opinion.

GC is far for services, Metro Renault - windsor is either good or bad, it's a 50/50 shot with them.

I take mine to Le French Motors in wooloogabba. They are ok to good 99% of the time.

These are my opinions as well as others i've heard.

Cheers,

WOLF

Hey bro you've got yourself a sweet Clio. I used to own it. I was the 2nd owner and it was pretty f**ken mint when I sold it in 07 with 15 000kms on the clock.

Only reason for selling it was so I could afford the R26.

Anyways mate good to have you on board.

Ohhh... so YOU bought Paul's car.

I neally got that one myself. It was just a bit over my budget. Oh well, good to see it's back here though.

Agree with Ol' Mate, it is in reeeally good condition. Some minor stuff, but i think Paul fixed them last time we spoke.

You should definitely make the next run we do, bring you up to speed on the history, yeah?

WOLF

Hey bro you've got yourself a sweet Clio. I used to own it. I was the 2nd owner and it was pretty f*ck mint when I sold it in 07 with 15 000kms on the clock.

Only reason for selling it was so I could afford the R26.

Anyways mate good to have you on board.

Ohhh... so YOU bought Paul's car.

I neally got that one myslef. It was just a bit over my budget. Oh well, good to see it's back here though.

Agree with Ol' Mate, it is in reeeally good condition. Some minor stuff, but i think Paul fixed them last time we spoke.

You should definitely make the next run we do, bring you up to speed on the history, yeah?

WOLF

I was hoping that the car would be known on this forum! Glad to hear from you guys how nice a car it is, not that I didn't think that myself - Paul is great guy and appears to have done a great job looking after it. Is he on here? Unfortunately it looks like I won't actually be taking ownership of the car till the New Year, so until then I will have to trundle around in a Polo. :(

But yeh, I'm really looking forward to the next Brisbane run!

Questions:

- why next year?

- Paul has been on here, my pop up, but more into cycling nowadays i thought.

- We are having a run fairly soon again quite possibly (see social events), you could meet us at the BP, leave your car there somewhere, and ride shotgun with me, or some others (if i have company). That is, if that interests you. Ask on the social event, see if any others open their passenger side door as well.

Cheers,

WOLF

ps: some minor rules to shotgun position. heheh.

Questions:

- why next year?

- Paul has been on here, my pop up, but more into cycling nowadays i thought.

- We are having a run fairly soon again quite possibly (see social events), you could meet us at the BP, leave your car there somewhere, and ride shotgun with me, or some others (if i have company). That is, if that interests you. Ask on the social event, see if any others open their passenger side door as well.

Cheers,

WOLF

ps: some minor rules to shotgun position. heheh.

Next year because the guys that did the roadworthy cracked the windscreen and replaced it with a non-genuine Clio sport one. So now the rain sensing wipers don't work, but they don't believe that it is their fault and are insisting that the car go to Renault for a 'diagnostic' check. So that probably won't get done till around the 30th of December. I don;t know how this saga will end - obviously I want the car with the proper windscreen, but it will be hard for Paul to convince them to change it again.

Riding shotgun sounds good, but what are the rules??:P

• 3 weeks later...

wow, surprised I missed this thread til now! Welcome :)

Interested to see what those 16" wheels look like.

Nice to see some more QLD members and renewed activity up north too :wink:

Cheers from "Mexico",

Dish.

So are you up for a spin with the guys up here on Sunday the 17th?

Be nice to see her again.

Cheers,

WOLF

- see the social meet thread QLD -

Will do my best to be there!

wow, surprised I missed this thread til now! Welcome :)

Interested to see what those 16" wheels look like.

Nice to see some more QLD members and renewed activity up north too :wink:

Cheers from "Mexico",

Dish.

Thanks for the welcome Dish. Will put up pics as soon as I get the car!

A pity I couldn't make it to today's drive!!

today's drive didn't go ahead.. it's now on the 31st :D hope to see you there..

to post pics what i do is put them up on photobucket then copy the IMG code and paste it into my post.. not sure if this is the best way.. but it works :)

Hi Marek,

You can load them under "Garage" then tell people to just click next to your avitar on the Garage ICON. Thats what I did as my work blocks Photobucket and the other posting sites.

Congratulationa & hope to see you on Driveday on the 31st.

Who are you getting the work done through?

Your ride should be ok, as we know its condition....HOWEVER, completely understand your position and see after for the next run as you prefer.

Cheers,

WOLF

Also could someone tell me where in the engine bay I can find the engine number?

Good question. There is a diagram in the manual which shows you were it is, but it's often covered in a pile of black grease so you can't see it. It's only punched in pretty roughly with a pin so sometimes it is hard to read. As far as location, I think (from memory) it is between the dipstick and the gearbox on a flat piece of the engine at the front...

Good question. There is a diagram in the manual which shows you were it is, but it's often covered in a pile of black grease so you can't see it. It's only punched in pretty roughly with a pin so sometimes it is hard to read. As far as location, I think (from memory) it is between the dipstick and the gearbox on a flat piece of the engine at the front...

Thanks - I ended up finding it there, but i had to stick a camera down to take a photo as it's sooo inaccessible! And yeh it's etched very roughly.