Apex from Auckland

Apex

Have a 225 F1, was directed here from Jeremy on the UK meganesport forums.

Having a look around its good to see the Renaultsport is popular in Oz, they are less popular here so this forum should be a good resource.

Am currently in the process of fixing the 225 F1 weakest link which is the lack of traction, I will be upgrading to a Quaife LSD over the next few months as funds allow, the diff unit alone is quite expensive.

The Australasian Quaife importer is based in Christchurch and at this stage I will be ordering it through them, I hear there is a group buy going on here so will have a look at the deatails.

Thanks

Graham

Welcome aboard. You do know that if it turns out well we'll claim it's an Oz car anyway, right? :lol:

Sounds like a great project. Do you still have the F1 blue/yellow stickers onboard?

Well, I managed to rip my factory one off good and proper and Renault NZ wants nearly $600 for a new one so im fitting a $120.00 Cupra-R front lip too it instead.

Will post some pictures when it’s done, If it looks naff I will order a genuine one direct from England as they apparently 70 odd pound.

I do like the stickers and the black on blue! And yes it is a shame we didn’t get the Recaros, im looking at a race seat for track days.

Kia Ora......

Welcome APEX. Greetings to the "Land of the Long White Cloud" from the "Land Down Under".

I have seen your posts on ms.net (where I generally lurk these days). If my memory serves me well (and sometimes it does not) there was at least another Kiwi F1 owner who was a member on ms.net many years ago. I wonder how many F1s made it to your shores.

I also wonder how many Clio V6s you (NZ) have, as these were an option you were able to order, that was not available to us Aussies.

Good luck with your LSD project. I own an R26 now, but I owned a P1 225 Cup before, and if it had not been written off in a flood, I would already have had an LSD fitted. Bugger the cost, its what the car needs.

I had some great times with some Kiwis back in the early 00s, shooting pool (8 ball and 9 ball in Vegas). Best guys in the world. Good times......got some great storys too...hehehe (But what happens on tour...stays on tour..)

Hope you enjoy the forum, and visit often.

Cheers - Dave.

Welcome Apex! Was in NZ in March for holidays and yes, not many Renaultsports were spotted. There was an Aussie guy on here who owns a Clio Ph1 in NZ but not sure what he's up to these days. Maybe moved back to Brissie???

Im really impressed with these Forums. Some proper mods going on here and it’s nice to be amongst drivers instead of the posers other brands attract.

Travel to Ausi a bit and could easily see myself living there, was in Melbourne for the F1 a few moths back. Our countries are similar in a lot of ways but quite different in others.

The RS are a rare breed over here, but us that do own them feel enlightened and preach the good word. Im in a European car club in which a couple of members have Clio RS’s, they are more than a match for the Megane on a tight road or track.

I have had quite a few cars in my time (some costing three times the price as the Megane) and have never been as happy as I am with the car straight out of the box, giving it had an LSD it would be perfect so im happy to sacrifice smaller mods to compensate for the one it actually needs, I could flash it, zorst it and do some intake mods but there would still be the underlying traction problem, I spent a fortune on our last hot hatch, a purchased new 06 Astra SRI-T (VXR spec as we didn’t get the VXR in NZ so I just built one) and the end result whilst fast was not comparable dynamically and ultimately boring and flawed.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

Graham

Welcome.

Totally agree regarding the LSD.

I've come to realise that mods should be in the order of Handling, Brakes then Engine.

I haven't touched my engine apart from a panel filter and Samco inlet bend. Even the exhaust is stock.

There was an Aussie guy on here who owns a Clio Ph1 in NZ but not sure what he's up to these days. Maybe moved back to Brissie???

Just remembered - his nickname on here is kiwiclio :mrgreen:

Will look out for him.

Here is a pick of the front spoiler, I think it looks better than the stock one and ay one fifth the price im quite chuffed.

Lip.jpg

Welcome Apex :)

I didn't realise that NZ even got the F1. How many ended up there?

That's a neat mod to the front end - looks like it was made for it. The "squidgee" flappy thing that Renault call a "splitter" looks so tacky in comparison. Well done. Did you have to remove the mounting points from the bottom of the bumper? Or was all that time spent just shaping the Cupra unit instead?

You might notice that the other car in my avatar is a 225 F1 - belongs to my other half who loves it to bits. I'll have to show her this! (not that there's any damage to her splitter).

Thanks, I didn’t modify the bumper at all bar painting the guides mat black, the time was spent on the new lip, I had to take the bumper off also, it could have been done faster using power tools instead of a $5 hack saw.