dovla's c2 vtr and stuffed clutch + bearing - all fixed now

dovla

Hey guys,

Im still lurking the forums regularly even tho im renaltsport-less at this stage :)

After driving the megane it was nowhere near the clio, the steering felt dull compared to clios and the ride was soft..

So instead of the loan for the new car we invested the money into the house, and bought another car for cash.

Ready for this? Ended up getting the C2 VTR :)

Love the sequential gearbox now, takes some time to get used to it but its so much fun! And it blips the throttle on the down-changes :) breaking with left foot is great! I could never do it in the clio before.

Its much slower then the clio, but loves to be driven hard and thrown into the corners.

P5031016-1.JPG

See you all in the next drive day :)

cheers

vlad

Great car, vlad. Spent some time in one myself a few years back. I found that you can get smoother upshifts by slightly backing off the throttle just before you flick the paddle, like you do in a manual with a clutch pedal.

They're around the same price. But i didnt want to get 3rd clio :)

And why not... ?

Could you afford the C2 VTS?

I had enough from clios for now.

And i was after the vtr not vts.

HA! sorry for asking so many questions!

I convinced my auto-only cousin into a VTR and he, like you, couldn't be happier! Must say, something I really like about the C2 in Australia is Citroen's premium-only C2 deliveries here!

Congrats on the new purchase! I guess once you pay off a little more of the mortgage you can indulge yourself and get a immaculate used example of an R27...

VTS is only quicker off the line, since you cant rev the vtr but once going they're exactly the same.

And racing off line was never my thing anyway, sure back in the skyline days it was but that results me in having my P's even tho im 27 :) 2 x magistrate court.. damn!

Dovla.

Im sure i read somewhere you bought a Honda or something ?? Maybe i had the VTR mistaken for a Honda ?? Not sure. Either that or you were taking the micky out of me.

Anyways, nice choice of car mate. Tell ya what, if they had a stonking motor in them and were a performance hatch i swear i would have been extremely close to buying one, or i definetly would have had one if it was'nt for the 172. I think they look great. Its just a shame they dont come in an up specced performance hatch.

Cheers

Steve

Welcome back (again!) Dovla - interesting choice :)

So what's on the modding list for this machine?

Happy motoring, and hope you'll still be a regular contributor.

(yeah, i know, still haven't sent your sticker...)

VTS is only quicker off the line, since you cant rev the vtr but once going they're exactly the same.

Didn't the VTS also have more power?

Top car though - the amount of features they have for the price is amazing! Interestingly, I know the VTS had Michelin Exaltos, as per the Clio 182 Cup!

Great handling... I think some nice multi-spoke black gloss rims are in order for your C2 8)

10hp more.

Well happiness didnt last long heh, god i hate this feeling!

There are noises coming from engine bay, rattling sound or something - sounds like there are spanners in engine of whatever its coming from. Heard it this morning... shoot me!

Car is covered under used car warranty 5k or 3 months i think. It has been bought from Peugeot dealer in Melbourne, would they cover all the costs involved in repairs?

here is the video, sorry about the low quality and dark as i just have done it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WP4n0597bY

cheers

vlad

Its at the Citroen dealer as of this morning. Noises were so much more then last night, and there was a smoke coming from the engine bay. Super huh ? :)

Keep you guys posted on whats happening.

BTW: The Prestige Formula service on glen osmond rd is stunning!! All ferraris, masseratis and alfas there! Oh and another c2 vtr!

Thats rotten luck Dov.

Shoulda stuck to a good thing like the 172 mate :wink: Nah...joking. Lets hope it all gets sorted promptly with minimal fuss.

Yeah been to those car dealers on Glen Osmond road. Real nice cars. The salesman I spoke to with the Alfa's and Ferraris once had a real charisma about him, unlike your run of the mill saleman in most yards. I guess he was just happy to be selling Ferrari's and it showed in his attitude.

I actually had this great idea (in theory) and thought long and hard about going back there and saying to the guy 'hey, can i work for you ? I want to sell Ferraris, but i'll do it for free. i'll do back yarder jobs if i have to. wash the cars, park them, make you's coffee. whatever. You teach me how to sell cars and if your not happy with me in a few months from now. I'll stop working for you'.

I was planning in doing this say once a week on a day off from work as a passion and to learn the ropes of car sales in a prestige environment. Who knows, maybe one day i may do something like that. But just too much on at the moment.

Hey those wheels are too light. A shade of charcoal is in order mate, oh and those callipars need a coat of red, some carbon fibre mirrors ?

Cheers

Steve

Yeah crap luck Steve :)

Hopefully it will get sorted out. Hope the warranty that you get on used car 5k or 3months whatever will cover everything! I read more about it and from what i could see seems like i would be fine.

I have to contact consumer affairs regardless of this problem now, since the dealership still hasnt sent me the service books, have been told that car has full service history... has been well over two weeks. At once stage they said its on reception ready to be sent, few days later i called again and now they're waiting for some papers to be re printed, sounds like bullsh*t to me...

Heh as for the weels, i was thinking white maybe. But now im loosing interest, maybe its just for now? :)

Headache headache every day...

Mate, if they dont hand you the service books thats just wrong. It may seem like no big deal to them, but it is a big deal to some. Id definetly be onto them about that.

I purchased my motorbike without service books, it pissed me off at first but im kinda over it now. Although i can see myself selling it and not having it long term because of no service books. Its just nice to know where and what your car/motorbike has been through.

The engine noises shouldnt be a problem. should get fixed. cant see that being a warranty issue. Any reputable dealer would fix that.

But no service books when they have stated there are some ? dodgy...needs to be rectified.

all the best mate.

Cheers

Steve

Yeah its important to have them well at least for me. When the time comes to sell it with no book ppl usually just walk away from the car. Like i did on couple of cars.

Important for now is to get this issues fixed. Hope its not something major, but from the noises and the smoke that came out hrm dont know. RAA guy reckons its a clutch but then again he did not analyze one of these before. Had to call RAA in order to tow it back to dealer.

Rang the dealer today and apparently its a burnt clutch. Hence the smoke coming from engine bay. Not sure how this would happen since i really drove the car normally, no hard launches or absolutely anything??

They're sussing out the quote now and will contact me either tomorrow or monday. Fingers crossed the dealer would pay for a new clutch.

`I think thats good news Dov. Im surprised actually as i thought by your comments earlier that it would be more serious like the engine, which would be a surprise in itself. Coz how often does an engine in todays modern day cars destroy itself like that, or even any age car really.

A clutch is a very straight forward fix for a competent mechanic. Done plenty in my younger days. depends on car but can take as long as 40 minutes in some cars and as much as 10 hours (quoted in book) for something like a Honda Prelude 80's vintage ! Not a huge expense for the dealer. Probably a few hundred bucks in parts and the mechanics are paid for anyway.

You bought it from that dealer you mentioned on glen osmond rd right ? i would imagine they are a reputable car yard and should'nt cause too much concern.

Your service books are definetly a 'have to have' though. id be fairly vigilant about that, big dent to their reputation if they dont keep their word on that.

So is that the car yard with the ferraris and alfas ?

Cheers

Steve

No Steve car came from Victoria, but still its a big Peugeot dealership where i got it from.

They have said to take the car to Citroen dealer (glen osmond) to get it looked at and they will pay for it.

Will drive past the service in the morning and chat with them, much different then talking on the phone.

oh of course. the interstate thing. forgot. Its not under factory warranty it seems ? that makes it a bit trickier. But as you mentioned they said they would fix it here, so thats good news.

Hey, get the thing thing fixed soon ! im going to post up a cruise day. well at least put it out there and see what happens. im looking forward to breaking in my new tyres :hyper:

Cheers

Steve

Went past the service this morning, spoke to the manager and he reckons it could be trust bearing that seized thus making noises and smoke...? Box is coming out on monday so i should know definitely what went wrong. I also might do the clutch while the box is out since they will be paying for the labor.

Steven hand onto the drive day until i get the car back heh

cheers

vlad

With the old semi-auto-manual flappy paddle boxes in the Transits I used to drive *shudder*, driving slow and gently was actually worse than flogging the thing, reason being that it'd try to give you a nicer ride by slurring changes and riding the clutch...

Hope she's sorted soon!

Steven hand onto the drive day until i get the car back heh

cheers

vlad

you mean hanG on ? Yeah no worries Vlad. Im no rush. Heaps to do around the house. On holidays too so i have plenty of time for a drive day. i go back to work in about 3 weeks. you should have iot sorted by then. The young lad i spoke to at the tyre place the other day was keen also. And he has a few mates with rice mobiles that can tag along. Hondas, skylines etc. So at some stage i'll post a notice for all the local adelaide boys and we can work something out. But i'll have to leave it to someone else to organise a route. Im just not familiar with the adeliade hills roads and that region. I'll end up getting lost !

Thrust bearing ay ? hmmm. maybe those citroen boxes have an idiosyncrosy there somewhere. either that or the previous owner gave it a caning. Yeah definetly worth doing the clutch whilst its out. if you do though, bear in mind that its always best to machine the flywheel to mate it to the new clutch material surface.

Cheers

Steve

Thrust bearing usually dies prematurely if you keep your foot on the clutch (instead of shifting to neutral) while waiting for traffic lights to change.

No news as yet, just got off the phone with prestige formula - gearbox is coming out in 1 hour so then the damage will be completely assessed. I hope some of the parts dont need to be ordered from France!

If so, how long that usually takes ??

Well, the last time I went to France it was nearly 30 hours by plane !

Nah seriously no idea. Probably depends on how vigilant the dealer is I reckon Dov. You must be in pain sitting around waiting though.

Steve

Its alright dragyn i guess it can happen with any car... :)

Good news today, it was only clutch, its ordered and coming from NSW! If everything goes good i shall be in my vtr tomorrow night :)

Car is sitting at prestige formula fixed from 12pm on wednesday and i still dont have it!

Prestige formula is saying they have sent the invoice to pug dealer, they're saying then didnt get it.

So what the f**k is going on? Someone is telling crap here!

Glad to see its sorted Dov, will have to tell us all about it on the Drive day. Maybe shoulda stuck with Renaults instead of their cousins :wink::lol: Ah well all good now.

Giddy up ! good stuff Dov. Hopefully be seeing you at a drive day soon :wink:

By the way, i posted up a thread for a short stint on a proper race kart for anyone who is interested on the 7th June.

You'll find it in the meetings and events section. Have a read and if your interested let me know.

Cheers

Steve

Hey Dov , what was the result?

I'm so sad for you, ....I love those little 2's

cheers pete

Hey Pete,

All fixed now, they have replaces the clutch and thrust bearing. Dealer have covered all the costs which is brilliant!

All good now, love driving it :)

Yup brilliant! Was afraid i would have to pay for the clutch but dealer manager to get it all from them. Bearing was completely shot, making noises and smoke coming out when it gets hot :)

• 3 weeks later...