back back back :)

dovla

Yep sure thing Dov.

I was actually going to ask you if you've had any quotes. Only place I know of from the top of my head is Industrial springs. Ive used them quite a few times in the past and they have been good. Although they did a poor job on my Dato. But i will insure that won't happen again, as the RSC will get special attention :wink:

Im estimating it should cost around a copuple hundred bucks if you give them the springs and of course fit them yourself. I will need to get some info on 'how to' in regards to the springs. Some people on here say you can do it without a spring compressor. Not sure. should'nt be too complicated.

Won't be for a little while yet though. As i want to get stuck into that when i settle into my house, and i won't be moving in for at least 5-6 weeks i think.

Cheers

Steve

Cheers Mase.

Ravi is where i got the idea from. His car was lowered to the specs im suggesting. And his car looked spot on in my opinion. He did mention that there was scraping sometimes, but he had 17's. Shouldnt be a drama with 15's.

Dov says his going to drop it 2 inches. Thats going to look awsome ! The ride will defintly get affected that low. Should be tolerable with the 15's though you would hope. If you do go ahead with that height Dovla just be careful with the insurance companies. As the legal limit as far as im aware is around 1.5 inches below standard. So they may give you grief if (touch wood) you have an accident. Alot of companies won't even insure it at that height.

Im a fair way away from actually going ahead. So its on hold for now. But it will be the RSC's first mod should i actually stop TALKING about it and go ahead with it.

Cheers

Steve

^^^ Puncher. Spring change is easy, once you are aware of a few of the tricks 8) let us know if & when you do it & Chirs & I will help you out over the phone or something :)

There is a place next to industrial springs (aussie discount mufflers) they will take your springs out get them compressed (at industrial springs) and put them back in for $300.

I'll keep them in mind Doval. Thanks.

Mase. Not sure exactly what they do. But they specialsie in it. i dont think it does any harm to the spring. A coil spring works in very much the same way as a leaf spring, and ive done leaf sprung cars quite a few times in the past. I usually just get them to add an extra leaf and then set it at a specified height. A coil spring you obviously can't add any extra springs, or coils for that matter. So i'll have to be content with its original stiffness, which is pretty well spot on from factory, its road performance is testament to that. its the proper way of doing it, rather than 'cutting' the spring to get the desired lowered effect as has been done from some back yarders.

I think they would just heat up the spring and just reset in in some kind of jig. after market springs like Eibachs you can't do it to because they are cold sprung when manufactured. heating up and resetting one of those would damage it.

I guess Ravi would be the best person to speak to in regards to how it drives with the springs reset. he didnt seem to have any issues with it from memory. in fact i remember him saying the ride was fine as it pretty much retains close to its original ride. you would expect some differences naturally as it is lower to the ground, but the ride would be less harsh than after market springs.

Cheers

Steve

I had the front springs on my 205 "reset" in height and an uprated poundage for spring rate was also specified.

Puncher, I'm pretty sure that there are two main ways to uprate a spring stiffness, being increase coil diameter and decrease spacing.

From Wikipedia 8)

The spring rate of a coil spring may be calculated by a simple algebraic equation or it may be measured in a spring testing machine. The spring constant k can be calculated as follows:

k = d^4G/8ND^3

where d is the wire diameter, G is the spring's shear modulus (e.g., about 12,000,000 lbf/in² or 80 GPa for steel), and N is the number of wraps and D is the diameter of the coil.

If the overall spring height is decreased to "lower" the car, the this will bring the coils closer together, thus "uprating" the stiffness. The ride on my 205 is very hard at low speed, and the car doesn't like bumps/potholes. However, it has been set up for track events, so I wasn't searching out airbag ride quality.

Wiki also mentions this about coil manufacture/resetting:

Many types of coil spring are wound in an annealed (soft) condition and then tempered to achieve their strength as a spring. Over time, this tempering can be lost[citation needed] and the spring will sag because it can no longer withstand the loads applied. Such springs can be re-set by annealing, returning to their original length (or deliberately setting them to a different length) and then re-tempering. Damage to springs, such as using oxy-acetylene to cut the end off a car suspension spring to lower a vehicle's ride height, can destroy the tempering in localised areas of the spring.

... explains why we sometimes aren't too happy with the look of our "lowered" aftermarket springs. The OE springs have already dropped to a lower ride height than the new aftermarket ones.

Moosey your analysis on lowered springs makes alot of sense. Basically, heating and resetting the springs seems to work just fine yeah ?

cheers

Steve

My mate who set up my 205 ran reset springs in his 205 (which is much quicker than mine) for a couple of years on track with great performance and no reliability/safety issues. So IMO they should work fine, just be careful with what you ask for. Lowered will mean stiffer - which in my experience (where I've gone much stiffer than OE) is great on smooth tarmac but not so on bumpy suburban roads. In theory, if your springs are a bit tired, you could have your OE springs reset to OE spec if you had the factory settings.

I doubt my springs are all that worn Moosey, as ive only done just over 40k with no track work and it doesnt get pushed all that hard. And the springs i purchased are from SOF (Storms of Fate), from memory they are low kays, may even be lower than mine as i think he replaced them pretty early in their life.

Yep i expect a stiffer ride, but surely no stiffer than after market springs. I guess its like imaginging the car has been weighted down making the car an inch lower for example and you would expect a more crashy ride. its just that once they are reset it will feel like that all the time, so to speak.

should be tolerable though, surely nothing like for example having H&R springs with 17 inch rims. Not that im criticising that set up, just comparing the ride harshness, or trying to imagine it lol. As ive never been in a car with that set up.

I personally find the RSC already has a stiff enough ride. im trying to do what i can to eliminate dramatically harshening up the ride and getting the desired look. A compromise you could say. Because one thing is for certain, you can't have both ! doh !

Oh and Dovla, feel free to tell me to shut up as im starting to hijack this thread a wee bit he he :)

Cheers

Steve

Mee too re the hijack. Don't forget that aftermarket springs are often progressive rate, which gives best compromise. Good ride at normal driving time, and stiffens up when loaded.

All good Steve, the more info the better :)

My previous RSC was a harsh ride eibach springs and 40 profile tyres. But nothing compared to my familia gtr with full coilovers :)

I had compressed springs on my 206 GTI.

Moosey you can moved the thread should you wish to do so, i have no problems with that :)

Yep im aware of that Moosey. They are also more expensive, and generally lower the car more at the front from what ive seen.

my goal is to lower the rear psrings just a few mm more that way the stance of the car evens out a bit rather than dipping at the front. as it already tends to dip a little bit at the front in standard trim.

Cheers

Steve

Coil over springs....(drool) !

Its the harsh ride i keep hearing about with them that makes me want to cry, because id love a set of Bilsteins, as i love the adjustability in ride height that they have. But unfortunately the ride firms up quite a bit with them when you lower them down to a desired height. Doh !

Cheers

Steve

my goal is to lower the rear psrings just a few mm more that way the stance of the car evens out a bit rather than dipping at the front. as it already tends to dip a little bit at the front in standard trim.

You might find that this improves stability under heavy braking too. My 205 is set up with the front slightly higher than the back for this reason.

well thats positive news. As i actually thought it would have a negative effect. Not that i would notice it a great deal in city driving. But for example the front being slightly higher (in regards to the angle created) may encourage more air under the front end at speed therefore creating lift at higher speeds and possibly unstabling the front end just a little bit.

But if the Pug is benefiting from it then all is good :wink:

Cheers

Steve

Coil over springs....(drool) !

Its the harsh ride i keep hearing about with them that makes me want to cry, because id love a set of Bilsteins, as i love the adjustability in ride height that they have. But unfortunately the ride firms up quite a bit with them when you lower them down to a desired height. Doh !

Cheers

Steve

Aitch has the Bilsteins on his 172 and a fellow forum member thought the ride was better than his stock 182 Cup...

Aitch. I hope there is some truth in that.

But is that in regards to track work ? (does he track it ?) as a track would be smoother than our normal roads. what about the ride height ? ive been told when its at its lower setting the ride is much harsher. this is all of course hear say, i can only go by what people are telling me. doh !

Cheers

Steve

Oh i forgot to mention. i actually rang my insurance company (Aami) a while back in regards to fitting Bilsteins. And they told me they wouldnt insure it with Bilsteins ?? wtf ? i find that ridiculous. I reckon Shannons would though.

Cheers

Steve

I rode / drove lost horizons car a bit on the bilsteins. It felt no more harsh than my car on my local roads. In fact I was pleasantly suprised - I would go so far as to say the general drive was more pleasant. Good stuff. :)

Steve, not sure why would they be interested in what brand is it ? All i said is that car was lowered, and i spoke to the assessor too in regards to the seats as well, he didnt worry much about what brand is the suspension as long as its listed on the policy.

My new RSC is still insured with AAMI but no mods... pfttt :(

I dont think its the brand so much Dov. I think its the fact that they are coil overs. I knew in detail what they were on about back then, but cant remember the full facts now. Something along the lines of the car being changed from its original suspension set up. i just cant put it into words right now.

After they explained why they wouldnt insure it with coil overs i said to them "so your not prepared to insure a car which has been modified to handle better, and will ultimately be safer on the road due to its higher road handling capability ?". They took offence to what i said and didnt really want to know. So basically, if i mod the car in that respect i have no choice but to look elsewhere. if they dont want my business, thats fine with me, as im sure there are other open minded and more understanding insurance companies out there who will be happy to insure it.

Yeah AAMI is competitive with standard cars. But they are rubbish with modded cars. Shannons is the best with modded cars and understand 'our enthusiasts point of view' but they are not cheap. Although saying that, as far as modded cars go, Shannons is actually competitve from memory on quotes i had compared to others with mods included in the package.

So just becareful Dov, if you mod your car make sure your prepared for any turmoil AAMI might give you. Otherwise you might just have to look elsewhere. They do allow mods though. Im pretty sure they told me you are allowed 3 mods. but you have to specify what they are and they have to agree with it. I reckon lowered factory springs should be ok though just as long as they are within legal tolerances. 1.5 inches is the norm i think, which is basically around 40mm. or it may be along the lines of lowering your car 1/3 of its full suspenion travel. not sure of the fine details. In my opinion 40mm is plenty as the RSC is already lower than most cars. A cup version is lower again but only marginal, just a few mm.

Cheers

Steve

Personally I don't like that black on the relatively dark red Clio, or any dark coloured car. I like the wheels to contrast with the car. White or silver would be best IMHO.

Personally I don't like that black on the relatively dark red Clio, or any dark coloured car. I like the wheels to contrast with the car. White or silver would be best IMHO.

TRUE, I THOUGHT ABOUT WHITE, SEEEMED TO BOY RACER FOR ME..

ILL POST PICS WHEN I CAN GET OFF MY ASS AND CHANGE A WHEEL FOR YOU!

really nice wheels Dov. Did you see them at wheel worx on port road :) ? I was in there the other day frothing at the mouth. I was too scared to ask for prices though lol. Thats alot of cash to spend on a set of wheels and not increasing the diameter size though. they would still look pimp though no doubt. I saw a set of black rims with a red outline on the outer of the rim. I thought they looked nice too. i dont mind that diffrent color stripe on the outside look. kind of like getting whitewalls on your tyres.

Cheers

Steve