First time Renault owner

Jamiec

A few weeks back I bought a 2012 Clio RS Cup Trophy, it's going to be my new daily and replaces my imported AE111 Corolla Levin Coupe as my daily. I imported the Levin 13 years ago at 62,000 I had a friend find me a completely standard one in Japan, it has now clocked just over 200,000km and has been absolutely reliable, it's a BZ-G which means Super strut front suspension(think Revoknuckle/perfohub before anyone else), it's fitted with the 20 valve 4age, helical lsd, it has been a really fun car, with a great little engine. I also own a track AE86 which I have owned for 24 years, it's fitted with a turbo 20 valve 4AGE and a Quaife sequential 6 speed, it's an absolute hoot. My other car is a 2016 RS Focus.

SO the little Clio, well what a car, to say I love it is an understatement, this is such a cool little car, I LOVE IT, it's sooooo much more fun than the RS Focus, the Focus you just can't use on the streets, we're too heavily policed and there are too many self-righteous dobbers with dash cams, the Clio is just so useable whilst being super funny, always eager just like a little puppy dog. The only criticism I have is why the hell did they not fit an LSD, if they had this car would be 100%, I really like the keyless entry, Recaros etc, but why no LSD?

• Like 5

The only criticism I have is why the hell did they not fit an LSD, if they had this car would be 100%, I really like the keyless entry, Recaros etc, but why no LSD?

Welcome...and having had what you have, I can tell you the answer: that‘ s why you buy a Megane III!

Thanks ttimbo but I wanted a small hatch for a daily, the Megane is Focus sized and wasn't interested, also didn't want a turbo, NA! I love the Clio, just needs LSD.

• Like 1

Don't go to the dark side.  :cool2:

Here's a cool video for a bit of NA goodness. :biggrin: The second half is better when they get rid of the awful music. Wish mine sounded like this:

• Like 2

On 5/19/2018 at 3:52 PM, Jamiec said:

The only criticism I have is why the hell did they not fit an LSD, if they had this car would be 100%, I really like the keyless entry, Recaros etc, but why no LSD?

I don't own Clio III but browsing some websites I've noticed LSDs for it. Maybe there are forum members who fitted aftermarket LSD so they can comment. 

https://shop.quaife.co.uk/renault-clio-200-quaife-atb-helical-lsd

and I think Drexler are the distributors in AU and NZ

http://www.drexler-motorsport.com.au/products.html#Renault

Welcome to the forum.

• Like 1

I don't own Clio III but browsing some websites I've noticed LSDs for it. Maybe there are forum members who fitted aftermarket LSD so they can comment. 
https://shop.quaife.co.uk/renault-clio-200-quaife-atb-helical-lsd
and I think Drexler are the distributors in AU and NZ
http://www.drexler-motorsport.com.au/products.html#Renault
Welcome to the forum.

And that’s what leads us back to my comment — “the dark side”. Without a LSD, you’ll always feel the Clio III is just “missing something” — especially on a track. But adding a LSD is a minimum $4k investment...on a $10-15k car, ie, proportionately large. Whereas you can spend that $15k and a bit...and get, not just the LSD, but more power and torque. Ah, this life — it’s a slippery, slippery slope! :D

Ultimately, if all the OP wants is a DD with the honesty that ‘daily’ entails, then IMO the stock Clio III will be a great car.
  • Like 3

ttimbo modifying cars is often with the heart not the head, if I had to crack the gearbox of the clio(I am a mechanic) I would put an LSD in it, mine won't see the track, that's what the AE86 is for, that car I spent $15K on a gearbox, in a car probably worth that, heart......not head!!

• Like 2

ttimbo modifying cars is often with the heart not the head, if I had to crack the gearbox of the clio(I am a mechanic) I would put an LSD in it, mine won't see the track, that's what the AE86 is for, that car I spent $15K on a gearbox, in a car probably worth that, heart......not head!!

As the owner of a Trophy-R, I have no idea what you mean by this head and heart mumbo-jumbo! :wink::D
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update after owning for a few months now, the more I have it, the more I love it, in the grand scheme of things, it's not fast, but it feels fun, the short gears, the revvy engine etc. I absolutely love the cornering, just last night my older bro and I were in it and I said that full credit must go to Renault for saying screw this we don't care how stiff this car is, we want it to handle, for a small dead standard car, the handling is really good, since I have owned this, my RS Focus has not come out of the shed, sure it's much faster but is it more fun......NO!!!

I have been doing a few little things to get it back to nice and tidy, for example a couple of the rims had some rash on them, so had the rims redone and they now look awesome, the interior was mint, so just a matter of making sure the leather is kept clean etc, I did replace all the speakers with some Hertz and a small Alpine powered sub and boy what a difference it has made, I'm older so don't need duf duf, but the combination of Hertz speakers and Alpine sub is really nice.

Other than that just cleaning the car, gave it a full service(all filters, brake fluid, coolant, wipers etc etc all gen cos prices are good) when I got it (44,000km) I've now done nearly 48,000km and gave it another oil and filter change for piece of mind, will do every 5,000km now.

I like that it's a bit left field, nearly everyone I know was like "uh oh a Renault", or "I don't like it at all", to now the same people are like "man that is actually a cool little car",  few people have turned their noses up at it, then have a look over it, see the Brembos, Recaros etc etc and are like WOW!

So far everything is working 100%, the keyless entry is spot on, I'm used to all the stalks now and find it very intuitive, the RS Monitor is cool(Usually use that to make sure oil is up to temp before giving it some).

Overall a great little car that I really enjoy driving.

• Like 4

On 19/05/2018 at 3:22 PM, Jamiec said:

A few weeks back I bought a 2012 Clio RS Cup Trophy, it's going to be my new daily and replaces my imported AE111 Corolla Levin Coupe as my daily. I imported the Levin 13 years ago at 62,000 I had a friend find me a completely standard one in Japan, it has now clocked just over 200,000km and has been absolutely reliable, it's a BZ-G which means Super strut front suspension(think Revoknuckle/perfohub before anyone else), it's fitted with the 20 valve 4age, helical lsd, it has been a really fun car, with a great little engine. I also own a track AE86 which I have owned for 24 years, it's fitted with a turbo 20 valve 4AGE and a Quaife sequential 6 speed, it's an absolute hoot. My other car is a 2016 RS Focus.

SO the little Clio, well what a car, to say I love it is an understatement, this is such a cool little car, I LOVE IT, it's sooooo much more fun than the RS Focus, the Focus you just can't use on the streets, we're too heavily policed and there are too many self-righteous dobbers with dash cams, the Clio is just so useable whilst being super funny, always eager just like a little puppy dog. The only criticism I have is why the hell did they not fit an LSD, if they had this car would be 100%, I really like the keyless entry, Recaros etc, but why no LSD?

Clio RS blah blah blah...

Sell me (or at least post photos!) of your RC30 and RC45! 😁

We have a Motorcycle Thread which of which I contribute 99% of content - feel free to add to it.  And I’m sure the Clio is wicked. Welcome to Renaultsport ownership.

1 hour ago, speedfiend41 said:

Clio RS blah blah blah...

Sell me (or at least post photos!) of your RC30 and RC45! 😁

We have a Motorcycle Thread which of which I contribute 99% of content - feel free to add to it.  And I’m sure the Clio is wicked. Welcome to Renaultsport ownership.

LOL, thanks, I am a huge Honda bike fan, the 30 is pretty much standard but the 45 has nearly the whole HRC race kit fitted but still a road bike, it is my baby, a 30 is a nice bike the 45 is next level, don't believe what you read, usually written by guys that have never ridden a 45 and a 45 with the HRC race kit is just insane. It has taken me a long time to get all the bits from a genuine NOS Suzuka 8hr 25ltr twin fill dry break tank to the HRC NOS mag rims and everything inbetween(full spec twin injector HRC engine), I love my 45 :)

• Like 1