New Clio owner

blink172

Hi everyone...I'm the proud owner of a silver 2005 Clio172 (second owner). All it needed was a new set of tyres then off up the Adelaide hills.Its completely original but I plan to do some exhaust/intake/suspension mods in the future. I am sure everything I need to know will be found on this forum. Cheers

Welcome! You will find all you will need to know here 8)

And yes Brendan, there must be something in the water in Adelaide (oh, snap)

Thanks brendans225 and walkie86. Hope to see you in the hills one Sunday on the Clarendon to Macclesfield road. (my favourite). As an aside...What tyres do you run on your cars ?. I went for a set of Marangoni 195/50/R15's which are a soft compound and do the job brilliantly. Also what engine oil do you use in your cars ? I understand the Elf 5/40W synth is pretty good?

Cheers

Welcome to the community!

The factory spec oil is elf, so many choose to go with it, including myself.

I think there's a typical SA meetup point somewhere near a huggy stream... (cuddlee creek?)

Thanks brendans225 and walkie86. Hope to see you in the hills one Sunday on the Clarendon to Macclesfield road. (my favourite). As an aside...What tyres do you run on your cars ?. I went for a set of Marangoni 195/50/R15's which are a soft compound and do the job brilliantly. Also what engine oil do you use in your cars ? I understand the Elf 5/40W synth is pretty good?

Cheers

I've got the higher-spec Neo stuff in (will find out the actual name shortly)

Cheers

Alex, u using the Hydrocarbon or Diester based one?

blink, i'm with Alex, using the Neo aswell - the hydrocarbon based one (think its called Neo Gold from memory) 10w40 - its slightly more expensive than the elf - around 80 bucks for 5litres. The Diester based one is meant to be the sh1t, but costs around $120+ for 5 litres :)

Cheers

Alex, u using the Hydrocarbon or Diester based one?

blink, i'm with Alex, using the Neo aswell - the hydrocarbon based one (think its called Neo Gold from memory) 10w40 - its slightly more expensive than the elf - around 80 bucks for 5litres. The Diester based one is meant to be the sh1t, but costs around $120+ for 5 litres :)

Thanks Brendan. I'm fairly sure the Doc (Paul V) has me onto the Diester :wink:

:hyper: Another Adelaide member.

Drive day coming up soon. Keep and eye on the social section. Low key but the cars get a work out as the maker intended. Any q's just ask. I could show you some stuff to keep you thinking. Just don't ask me about suspension as the OEM gear is good unless you want to spend min $2K..for that I would get cams. :wink:

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and I will keep an eye on the social section :lol:

Cheers for the good oil. I will try and source the Neo locally otherwise I'll stick with the Elf synth.

Incidentally dovia I put a set of S drives on my wife's Corolla Sportivo with good results except they get a bit hairy on wet roads.I would like to know how they behave on your Clio.

Cheers

Incidentally dovia I put a set of S drives on my wife's Corolla Sportivo with good results except they get a bit hairy on wet roads.I would like to know how they behave on your Clio.

Cheers

Interesting. Maybe they need to be warm up a little before giving it a good squirt ? Dunno.

How is the clio so far ? I still smile when i drive mine :)

I'm absolutely loving it. :lol: I'm looking forward to the 90K service to get a few niggles fixed. The service light/ESP intermittent fault and a knocking noise on full lock when reversing. Apart from that its running very well and I can't stop grinning.

re. the S drives......They are warmed up and do feel a bit skittish especially on tight corners and ( according to my wife) occasionally under breaking.

Hi - here's a common OZrs run via google maps. Done this one a fair bit. The advantage is there are very few cars, bikes etc of a morning. Scenery is good and there are endless very tight corners in 80K zones so speeding is not really an issue. Ends with some straightish downhills runs to cool the wee beasties motors. 8)

I'm absolutely loving it. :lol: I'm looking forward to the 90K service to get a few niggles fixed. The service light/ESP intermittent fault and a knocking noise on full lock when reversing. Apart from that its running very well and I can't stop grinning.

re. the S drives......They are warmed up and do feel a bit skittish especially on tight corners and ( according to my wife) occasionally under breaking.

Welcome!

Guys, could the knocking noise be the issue where the front suspension is rubbing on the body around the top mount of the shocks?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi fella's...Got the car back from Main North Renault after the 90k service. The ESP/service light problem was simply a faulty brake light switch. The "knock noise was a bent exhaust bracket near the motor that they bent that back into shape, So I'm pretty happy with all that :D

Good stuff blink.

Seeing as they were curteous enough to fix that bend on your exhaust, I wonder if they will fix the 'BENT' car jacking point ive recently discovered on the right hand side of my 172 :bitch:

Im going to have to have a word with them pretty soon. It couldnt have been anyone else who done the damage as they have been the only ones servicing my car for the past 5 years ! :evil:

Cheers

Steve

Mase, dunno if posting your regular routes on a publicly visible section of the forum is a good idea or not... if you catch my drift :wink:

And belated greetings blink :D

Welcome aboard the good ship OzRS!

Nah it's fine really. The limits are 80k's and that's what I/we do. The corners are very tight. We also have rules about communicating re cyclists and slowing to pass. In effect we are actually safer than a lot of the drivers out there. On any week end day there are litterally 10 club runs on in the hills around that area plus 100's of motor bikes. There are plenty of other attractions for the authorities that they persue that make us look like a bunch of nannas in wheel chairs. The map will make no difference. :)