Hello All - possible Clio owner....

Jon_RS

Just wanted to say hi to all you RenaultSport owners - I may be joining you soon!

About a month till I'm ready to purchase and still deciding between a Clio Sport and a couple of other hot hatches/coupes. Problem I've got is seeing any of the cars I'd like in person - if anyone in Brisbane can help with a Clio, so I can make some sort of decision based on looks and feel (I'll take your word for it on the driving experience!), it would be greatly appreciated.

Currently driving a mildly modified Mazda 3 SP23.

Cheers,

Jon

Go the Clio Jon... you know you want to!

May I ask what else you're looking at?

Oh, and welcome! 8)

Welcome Jon_RS,

If you're the sort that would be happy tottering around in a Lotus, PRB, Caterham (i.e. the bare essentials handling performance car) but you have a budget, need a stock car for all seasons then the Clio's for you. The only other second hand hatchs you might find in that area is the DC2 Honda ITR or the Pug 205GTI.

If you got Clio, you'll find, as I found out, what the French nutcases say "the cars got soul" :)

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Other cars on the consideration list are 96-97 Golf VR6 (sitting higher on the list), and the Mitsubishi FTO GPX (lower - little too common and boy racer).

I definitely want a car that shows off in the bends and not in a straight line. Though, I'm a little concerned about the bent seat rail saga - is it common on these cars when pushed (say hillclimb)?

I definitely want a car that shows off in the bends

hahaha.. thats the clio mate.. You should've seen the face of my mate who owns a MY02 wrx the first time he tired to keep up in the hills, it was priceless :D

Word. IMO the Clio will be much better than the VR6 through the bends :wink:

have driven a vr6... clio is faster straight line... handles better... much more reliable (hard to believe i know) and no comparrison with fuel consumption... clio kicks a*** there. IMHO it is a much rortier and harder car (goes against the name). I had a Z32 300zx tt with 400rwhp (too many angine mods to list), insane 240f, 280r tyres and 4k worth of suspension and I can get to the top of my mountain (not naming it cos of the fuzz) faster in the clio than my 300 (i could get from the bottom to the top in 8.45mins.

got to work the clio harder but you dont feel as though you are about to die.

The Clio is so good it took me a month to get used to the R26 and fall in love with it (right around the time the engine broke in) :)

If you love the twisties there is on other car BFYB that can beat the Clio, it's just to damn good 8)

Gett a good low K example of an 182 Cup and you won't need to spend anything it's a great package out of the box.

Welcome to the forum mate :P

have driven a vr6... clio is faster straight line... handles better... much more reliable (hard to believe i know) and no comparrison with fuel consumption... clio kicks a*** there. IMHO it is a much rortier and harder car (goes against the name). I had a Z32 300zx tt with 400rwhp (too many angine mods to list), insane 240f, 280r tyres and 4k worth of suspension and I can get to the top of my mountain (not naming it cos of the fuzz) faster in the clio than my 300 (i could get from the bottom to the top in 8.45mins.

got to work the clio harder but you dont feel as though you are about to die.

He rests my case 8)

All good points - MRZ32, since you're in Brisbane, perhaps you could help out with my 'I need to see a Clio Sport in person' request?

Unfortunately my budget restricts me to an '02 model, which there are 2 of for sale up here that I know of. I can't find the thread where I found the information, but when those rubber hand grips on the wheel go, you have to replace the entire wheel right?

Jon, you can get the grips recovered in leather like Lost Horizon did.

You need to go for a test drive in one. A friend was looking at buying one and was gob smacked with the driving experience after he finally drove one- and he owned a Lotus Elise previously. He couldn't believe the handling and pick up.

This would be a good one to look at :

http://tinyurl.com/3c43vk

And a couple of others (including a Phase 1) :

http://tinyurl.com/2uow5c

http://tinyurl.com/2o44zl

http://tinyurl.com/2zwhr9

http://tinyurl.com/2o9k3f

The second one you listed is located in a dealer down the road from me, will definitely arrange to test drive that next weekend (never saw it because I rarely check the dealer listings, only private)

The first one is amazing! Low km's, ESP - however over budget. The other 2 links didn't work?!

Ohh and must be Phase 2 :)

I've never driven an RS Clio myself (I wouldn't mind having a go actually) but i've had the opportunity to see them in action and i'm very impressed by how quick they are in the hills, in the twisty sections. I also drive a Renaultsport and i can assure you, you'll have a car with real personality which can also embarrass vehicles twice as expensive.

By what i've seen the 172 has plenty of performance, considering the nature of these cars i'd go for a mint low-km 172 rather than a 182 but the RSC guys can advise best

Welcome to the forum

Best regards

Matteo

Hmmm... I don't know why those links don't work? Just go to Carsales and look at the dealer listings, there were quite a few on there.

Also try searching:

www.carsguide.com.au

www.drive.com.au

www.carpoint.com.au

www.tradingpost.com.au

Also under private for sale in carsales there's a QLD Clio 172 with only 13,000 km (!) might be worth a look?

Hmmm... I don't know why those links don't work? Just go to Carsales and look at the dealer listings, there were quite a few on there.

Also try searching:

www.carsguide.com.au

www.drive.com.au

www.carpoint.com.au

www.tradingpost.com.au

Also under private for sale in carsales there's a QLD Clio 172 with only 13,000 km (!) might be worth a look?

I believe that's a forum member's car :wink:

Although I wouldn't worry too much about the Km's..a few extra grand will cut the k's on a 2nd hand car by a lot. Prob worth it in the longer run. Depends really on how many K's you intend to do annually. My RSC was 20K on the rd for a completely stock 2002 Mk 2 non-esp with 30K back in June 2006. I've now done 25K since I got it in a little over a year. My annual Km's travelled went up by 7K :) because it is an RSC. That would be 7K of driving cause it's really addictive :)

Went and saw ol'mates Clio on the weekend - fantastic car, they really are. My only gripe is the narrow footwell around the pedal box.

What size shoe are you? I'm an 11 and generally have no issues. You'll also find that the pedals are positioned well for heel and toeing.

I'm 6 ft 3" with size 13's and never thought about it. Feels great. In fact the whole ergonomics work very well for me with everything in just the right spot 8) Seemless. Espec the reach for the gears / wheel. Very quick and slick for me anyway.

Size 11 as well. I probably can't take too much away from it, as the drive was shortish and I didn't adjust much either.

As long as it doesn't sell there will be a next time, where I will take my father along.

I keep getting told about the build quality - it's not really that bad is it?

Size 11 as well. I probably can't take too much away from it, as the drive was shortish and I didn't adjust much either.

As long as it doesn't sell there will be a next time, where I will take my father along.

I keep getting told about the build quality - it's not really that bad is it?

Ah, the old build quality question. :D

There are differing opinions on this, but I think general consensus is that there are sometimes niggles here and there (e.g. electronics, various rattles, sub-par interior trim, etc), but mechanically, they are pretty robust.

Re build quality I personally think it's made to a cost and comparative to other cars in the same price range it is average - really have a good look over it - it's only the interior plastics on the trim that create this idea. You are paying a premium as it's from Europe. But you don't buy it for it's so called build quality. You buy it for how it drives and it's singular character. I don't think there is anything like it on Aust rds. It's unique. Most tend to develop a relationship with it's tenacity to make you smile and enjoy every drive. It connects the driver with the road. You need a good 30 min at 7/10's to either get this or not.

My experience with Renault motors and drive train is that they are very robust and as good as anything on the road. If you look after your cars the RSC will be fine. All my previous Renaults lasted infinately longer than any Aust made car did. But then again I look after them. The build quality thing is a bit of a rumour in that when renault first sold in Aust the brands cars were a decade ahead of the other local product etc. This tended to mean they require greater care mechanically and often led to issues as people didn't..i.e run the alloy heads / sealed cooling systems with low levels or leaks. Parts were / are more exe so typical Joe Public people remember that for longer etc. a head back to holden / toyota / ford etc etc. Quality mechanics were hard to come by etc.

They are either for you..or they are not...there should not be any doubt. You will know. That's what I reckon :) My 2c worth on the subject.

P.s - I bet my RSC is still looking sensational and going really well in 150K and 7-10 yrs with minimal outlay bar maint costs. Then again..I'll fix what I can on my own car :) that helps a lot in saving money with any car. And oh yes..you get this great web site and a social network as well for your money :)

But you don't buy it for it's so called build quality. You buy it for how it drives and it's singular character. I don't think there is anything like it on Aust rds. It's unique. Most tend to develop a relationship with it's tenacity to make you smile and enjoy every drive. It connects the driver with the road. You need a good 30 min at 7/10's to either get this or not.

you took the words right out of my mouth

Welcome Jon,

I've probably done more hillclimbs in 172's and 182's than others here (and very successfully), and never heard of a seat rail problem

Has your left foot found the left footrest? Maybe the throttle pedal is a bit close to the brake, but i like it

Good luck, pete