Proud Owner of a Blood Orange Clio Cup says Hi. :D

ITHELIVING

Hello All,

On Saturday (21/07), I became the proud owner of a 182 Cup F1. After having owned a 1985 Mazda RX-7 for quite a while, I decided that the time had come for a new(er) car. I considered the following (all second hand):

- Mazda RX-8

- Nissan 350Z

- Subaru Impreza WRX (2003 onwards)

- S15 Nissan 200SX

- RS Clio 182 Cup

I picked the Clio in the end because it’s an absolute hoot to drive and much cheaper than an RX-8 or 350Z, while offering nearly the same amount of performance. It ended kicking the WRX and the 200SX out of the race because of their insurance premiums and the annoying attention that you get from the doof doof brigade when you drive one of them. On top of this, it’s hard to find one that hasn’t been thrashed for its entire life.

Anyway, I drove a couple of Clio Cups in Melbourne and was close to buying one of them (the black one advertised on www.carsales.com.au) when I read an ad in the Trading Post in NSW. I spoke for a while to its owner, and after seeing pictures, agreed to buy it over the phone.

I flew up to Sydney on Saturday and took over the keys. The car was in exceptional condition and had done 18,500kms. Over the next two days, I drove back down to Melbourne via the coastal route and had an absolute blast. If you haven’t done this drive, I highly recommend it. It is true Clio territory. The roads were deserted too, which was nice. Only got stuck behind a Caravan ONCE on the whole trip!

Anyway, the things I love about the Clio:

- First and foremost, its Character. It’s just an audacious little thing. The fact that this little girly looking hatchback can drive the way it can is unbelievable. Also, while this may sound a little strange, I have a dog called a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. If the Clio was a dog, it would be this dog. This is perhaps while the Clio and I “clicked†straight away. When I watched that Top Gear Episode where they compared the Clio to a naughty puppy, it made sense to me straight away. :D

- The engine. After being used to a rotary, there was no way I could ever own anything that didn’t have a smooth power delivery – and this 2.0l is great. Fantastic exhaust note at the top end of the rev range too.

- Obviously the steering and handling.

- The throttle response is very sharp.

- The clutch is good.

- The amount of equipment you get with it. While this wasn’t a major factor when I was shopping around, now that I have it, it’s nice. The cruise control system especially is very good.

- The seats are magnificent.

- The fuel economy was unbelievable. For the Sydney to Melbourne journey, I averaged 7.1l/100km. After driving around in an RX-7 that generally averages 15.0l/100km, this was a nice surprise.

- Very reasonable insurance premium.

Not as good:

- Ergonomics. While a shorter driver would probably have no issue with it, the driving position is not that great for someone who’s 6’2â€. After coming from an RX-7 that has pretty much a perfect driving position, this was a little difficult to get used to. I feel like I’ve sitting too high, and I’m not a fan of the angle of the steering wheel. The wheel itself does feel a bit big and I would prefer the gearshift to not be mounted so low. But considering all the positives I’ve listed above, I’m sure I can get used to all this.

- The gearshift itself. It is actually quite an accurate and fast gearshift, but just not in the ‘snick snick’ league of something like an S2000, RX-7 or MX-5. Not a huge concern though.

- Rattles. :D I was expecting this though. It’s actually not THAT bad, but not quite up to Japanese standards.

- The stereo: Pretty awful – but I generally prefer to listen to the engine, and upgrading the speakers, etc. is easily done.

So there’s my quick review of my car after driving around 1200km. Look forward to meeting some other owners both online and in ‘real-life’ through this fantastic forum. Nice to meet you all.

Pics coming soon.

Cheers,

Ranil.

Welcome!

Good choice with the colour :) I have an orange without stripes too, although I'm not in North Melbourne, perhaps there is another. The previous owner took the stripes off and I quite like it that way too, although you'll find most people who see one with stripes will suggest you put yours back on :) We're having a drive day in a couple of weeks, check the social events section. Would be great if you could come along. Not sure if Griffyn is coming to this one yet, but if he is, we'll have 3 together, should make for some good pics.

Yep Brendan,

Probably the longest post since Teki got his car! LOL Actually, my post was JUST as bad!

Ranil Welcome to the forums, good to have FINALLY another RSC 182 in the ranks. The Clio makes the drive to Sydney very easily! about a month and a half ago, I did the drive from Melb to Sydney on the Hume, and it was great. The Clio was a dream, and got to Sydney on the smell of an oily rag!

Anyway, Enjoy the car mate, cheers. Where bouts in Melb are you from?

Welcome Ranil!

Glad you love the car so much. Trust me, you get used to the driving positon & steering wheel :) (so much so that other cars now feel weird!)

Only problem I see is that fact that another orange 182 has LEFT Sydney :(

Is 'driven' the only one left in Syd??? :?

But alas, enjoy her!

Cheers,

Alex

HEhehehe

We got Quite a FEW down here now!! Hahahah Bring them ON!

Welcome to you and your Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever!

I was/still am looking at the same group of cars, and drew the similar conclusions. Great value for maoney and cheap as chips to run (comparitively)

Enjoy!

Welcome

Great choice of car, and yes as said previously you will get used to the driving position and struggle to comfortably drive anything else.

I enjoyed your lengthy post too ... it reinforces the way I feel about my car and gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling inside!

The only dissapointing thing is that all you Mexicans are stealing all of our Orange 182's.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. In response to some of your comments:

e.sport: I only had to search for about 2 weeks. I know how lucky I was to find a blood orange Clio in great condition so quickly.

icarus_m1: Where in Melbourne are you? I've been PM'd about the drive day. That weekend might be a little tough for me, but I will try to make it. I'm definitely keen on meeting some other RS owners.

ClioF1: Cheers mate. I agree - the stripes look good on the blue. There's one for sale on Carsales too. I was going to check it out, but ended up making an offer on the orange one before I had a chance to drive it.

Danny: I'm in North Melbourne. How about yourself? Your car's colour scheme looks awesome.

Walkie86: Yeah, I'm sure eventually I'll get used to the driving position. Like most things French, it's probably an acquired taste. :D After having lived in Cronulla and Bondi, and having seen the girls on those beaches, I've come to the conclusion that Sydney doesn't need any more orange. :wink:

Now for some pics:

http://ranil.fotopic.net/c1332495.html

My 'other' love:

http://ranil.fotopic.net/p2844016.html

http://ranil.fotopic.net/p2844055.html

And since I mentioned that I also had a Blood Orange Clio in Dog Form, here he is with my younger brother:

http://ranil.fotopic.net/p2843992.html

And you guys best get used to my long posts. There'll be plenty more to come. :wink:

PS.

Almost forgot to tell you guys about this:

I picked up the car in Turramurra and called up a couple of friends I have in Sydney and arranged to meet them in Darling Harbour. So I drive into Darling Harbour and after a while, find a nice parallel parking space. So I pull up, indicate to the left and put the car into what I think is reverse and release the clutch and... the car goes forward. Try it again... same result. I try pushing the gear lever down, and to the left and... same result.

So uh... I had to call the seller and ask him how to put the car into reverse. :D All while a nice line of cars had banked up behind me - lead by a very angry Taxi driver.

Needless to say, this was the first time I had driven a car that needed to have a little ring pulled up to put it into reverse. :)

PS.

Almost forgot to tell you guys about this:

I picked up the car in Turramurra and called up a couple of friends I have in Sydney and arranged to meet them in Darling Harbour. So I drive into Darling Harbour and after a while, find a nice parallel parking space. So I pull up, indicate to the left and put the car into what I think is reverse and release the clutch and... the car goes forward. Try it again... same result. I try pushing the gear lever down, and to the left and... same result.

So uh... I had to call the seller and ask him how to put the car into reverse. :D All while a nice line of cars had banked up behind me - lead by a very angry Taxi driver.

Needless to say, this was the first time I had driven a car that needed to have a little ring pulled up to put it into reverse. :)

hahahahah a similar thing happened with my Dad the first time he drove it ... except for the fact that i didnt answer my phone and he had to wait for me to call him back before he could reverse.

lol, similar thing happened with me at the dealers when i picked up my car............had to reverse as there was a car parked in front of me, but no matter what i did, the car kept rolling forward :shock: ......luckily the guy in front left while i was trying to figure it out, so i just drove straight out of the spot :lol: .........i was too embarassed to run into the dealers and ask how to find reverse :oops:

lol, similar thing happened with me at the dealers when i picked up my car............had to reverse as there was a car parked in front of me, but no matter what i did, the car kept rolling forward :shock: ......luckily the guy in front left while i was trying to figure it out, so i just drove straight out of the spot :lol: .........i was too embarassed to run into the dealers and ask how to find reverse :oops:

Heh. Sounds like quite a common experience then. :D

Nice 225 btw.

i too have owned rx7's (a series 2 and a 3) and i'm 6 foot 3. the bus-like driving position of the clio is a down side and even after owning my clio sport for a year it still doesn't feel right but overall the pros easily outweigh the cons.

also the torque of the clio is much better than the 12A in the rx7 (unless your 7 had a turbo transplant).

hope you enjoy the car

Welcome and you have chosen wisely!

The driving posi is always of concern to most. I am 190 cm and 97 kgs and think it is just fine for me in fact I like it a lot having layed down in some cars in the past. It's interesting to note that Motor or Wheels can't remember..who do the BFYB testing / or similiar said the upright driving position suits the 'track' which settled it for me. It's also for visability of which the Clio is a leader. Don't forget it's about safety too :wink:

Enjoy le car and it's 'stealth' capabilities. Big silly 'Toorak Tractors' are very funny to me these days :wink:

Mase :wink:

Welcome Ranil. You'll find lots of taller drivers own RSC's - I'm about the same height and find the front very accomodating especially considering the small size overall of the car.

It helps that I'm used to the upright driving position from driving a 4Wd regularly. You'll get used to it very quickly.

Out of interest I think you'll find you haven't actually got a "182 Cup F1" - they were all racing blue and had a plaque inside. Mine is from the same series as yours, it looks like an F1 Cup (stripes and larger spoiler) but is missing the plaque. :wink:

Congrats on the purchase!

V.nice RS indeed, best of luck with it

as walkie said, just stop taking them from NSW (perhaps we could devise a quota system...) :lol:

Great idea Chris!

I've still never see one on the road (apart from driven's in the RD holding area) :cry:

Hi Ranil! Welcome to the group, it's great to have you on board.

Great opening post too :)

Wait until Emu sees this, he'll be very excited. He's putting together an orange RSC register (see thread in this forum), and he'll be dying to make contact! Look out!

Welcome, looks like you have already enjoyed it in its element, those experiences will continue to multiply. Tho from your comments I'm pleased to be short. Only negative I find is the turning circle (or paddock)

Hi Ranil! Welcome to the group, it's great to have you on board.

Great opening post too :)

Wait until Emu sees this, he'll be very excited. He's putting together an orange RSC register (see thread in this forum), and he'll be dying to make contact! Look out!

I think Ranil beat you to it Qubic! *check out the register* 8)

Hey Ranil,

I'm In Templestowe mate, But I'd LOVE to live in North Melbourne!!! I LOVE THAT AREA!

With you having been a Cronulla and Bondi man in the past, I can see exactly why you'd choose to live in North Melbourne, Its beautiful!

Good stuff, Hopefully We'll meet ya on a cruise!

Oh and BTW Alex! I've seen like 5 of them on the road (However 2 sightings were of Gryffin)

Hey Ranil,

I'm In Templestowe mate, But I'd LOVE to live in North Melbourne!!! I LOVE THAT AREA!

With you having been a Cronulla and Bondi man in the past, I can see exactly why you'd choose to live in North Melbourne, Its beautiful!

Good stuff, Hopefully We'll meet ya on a cruise!

Oh and BTW Alex! I've seen like 5 of them on the road (However 2 sightings were of Gryffin)

Oh and BTW Danny! I hate you :evil:

Hey Pablo... that interesting to hear from another ex-RX-7 driver. My RX-7's 12A has been replaced by a 13B (non-turbo), but yes, the Clio definitely has more torque. It's nice getting some sort of response from the engine below 3500rpm. :D

I went for a long drive this morning before work and glad to say, I'm definitely getting used to the driving position. Like Mase said, visibility is definitely a plus. I also like how the Clio doesn't have big thick A-pillars like a lot of modern cars.

e.sport, yeah, the driver's seat height was the first thing I adjusted. :)

Murcod, thanks for letting me know. Kinda glad I can drop the F1... because "RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup F1 Team Edition" is quite a mouthful. I already have a nice long Sri Lankan name - so my car doesn't need one too. :D

Danny, Nth Melbourne is pretty good - lets me walk to work. And in the apartment complex I live, the Clio gets a nice, secure underground carspot too. I'm glad I don't have to park it on the street. I was reading through another post and it sounded like there were quite a few Clio owners around the Templestowe area.