WEBSITE HOSTING - FEEDBACK REQUIRED ASAP

PaulD

The time has come for us to play on our own :wink:

The site has now outgrown my friends spare bandwidth, so this gives us a chance to find our own host and increase the size and features of the website to allow us to fufil our ambition of world domination!! :twisted:

No, seriously, we need to look at paying our own way with hosting.. I have a few links reccomended:

http://www.hostingplatinum.com/plans.php?mode=au

http://www.aussiehosts.com/hosting.html

For 50mb of space and 1Gb bandwidth per month, will set us back by about 100 crackers per year.

I have to pay registration for ozrenaultsport.com very soon, for about US15, which I am happy to pay.

Whats the best way for us to divy the $100 up?? Any hands up for donations? I fiver would be much appreciated! :D

Alternatively, is their anyone else among us who can host this site, or know of any good links?

Sounds fair & reasonable Pauly. What's the current usage like? How large is the database, and can we project what our growth and future requirements are? If we are going to begin storing files and images and perhaps use the site for hosting video files then we'll need to go larger eventually...

I can probably give some moolah to Dave P this week to hand over to you.

At the moment the admin panel shows us as using 7.30mb.

Which isnt much, but if we have a gallery, this will increase quite quickly..

I would always suggest that movies etc be placed on free hosting sites for short periods of time.. Otherwise we will get flattened very quickly..

I would think one of the 50mb plans is adequate for us for the next year??

thanks for your support :)

PaulD

Yea the SQL database usage is around 9-10mb, and the site itself is about 5-6mb, which isnt much, but it is growing pretty quickly, and i'm just about full.. so shortly, you wont be able to post at all!

Not sure what sort of bandwidth your using, but my server is pushing about 6-7gb a month, but I do have a few sites hosted. 1gb may be ok.. best to start low, and move up as you need!

You should maybe setup a PayPal account Paul, and just get people to donate through that, we can put a donation icon at the top of this site, and people can pay through that and it should be enough to support the site! Lots of forums do it this way.

If we can move on this quickly it would be great. :)

OK PEOPLE!!! WHERE ARE YOU ALL???

What about Rex's idea to have a paypal account to run the site??

Ideas, comments??

I would fund the whole thing myself, but moving into our first house etc, has taken the wind out of my sails :shock:

C'MON!! WE LOVE THIS SITE! LETS KEEP IT HERE!

Happy to contribute. Just give me a bank account or something to send the funds to.

PayPal is a good idea, perhaps put a link up once we relocate (as this seems to be a matter of urgency).

I'd be happy to put up a donation with the paypal thingy, perhaps this thread should also be moved into all the forum categories and made sticky so EVERYONE will see it, some people may not bother checking the website feedback side of the forum!?!

Heh.. Thanks guys.. Think i got a bit excited. :roll:

Latest news.. I have emailed our contact at hosting platinum, and will post publicly when we have some good options.. Then I will investigate the paypal option.

Keep you posted.. Thanks for the generous offers.. 8)

PaulD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Cool guys.. Thanks for your support..

Nate and I have been researching different options, and we may resolve to choose the best value package, pay for it ourselves, and then collect any donations from members in each state on next social meetings..

We believe it will total aroun $100-150 for the next year, and dontations of $5-10 depending on the members budget and post count :wink:

Will keep you updated.. Website size has hit 10mb, and will go upwards quickly with galleries etc..

PaulD