G'day from NZ

NakiRS

Hey team, thanks for the add.  Just acquired a 2013 RS265 Cup a couple of weeks ago.  One trackday under my belt already...what a cracker!  Looking forward to learning about this lil Frenchy, with a view to getting it round the track quicker ;-) 

• Like 6

Haere mai! 

Gongrats on the new car, you'll have a ball. 

Great roads in the Naki, some of the best tarmac in the country!

Few locals are tracking them these days, best practice is to remove the back seats and throw some good pads, fluid and tyres on it, that's about all you need TBH, maybe a remap from Alt Tune in Taupo, after that its diminishing returns and disaster. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/05/2024 at 10:49 PM, woosh said:

Welcome aboard. Which part of NZ are you from? Well done doing a track day only a few weeks into ownership

Thanks!  New Plymouth.  Yeah, no mucking about making the most of this thing ;-)

• Like 1

On 15/05/2024 at 8:02 AM, ChrisCHCH said:

Good Stuff! Guessing Manfield is your closest track? Good to see more getting used as intended 

Manfeild and Taupo about the same, although it was the former I went to the other week.  Back there next weekend hopefully, and then maybe Taupo end of the month, car and wife permitting ;-)  You exercise your's at Ruapuna?

On 15/05/2024 at 8:39 AM, RallySportNZ said:

Haere mai! 

Gongrats on the new car, you'll have a ball. 

Great roads in the Naki, some of the best tarmac in the country!

Few locals are tracking them these days, best practice is to remove the back seats and throw some good pads, fluid and tyres on it, that's about all you need TBH, maybe a remap from Alt Tune in Taupo, after that its diminishing returns and disaster. 

Thanks, and yes, there are some great roads about ;-) I drove from Gisborne the other day, unfortunately not in the RS, but what a drive, wicked gorge up that way. 

Got decent fluid in it before the trackday.  Pads to be addressed soon.  Res delete this week.  Probably throw some Grams springs at it, give it a tune and leave it at that.  Coming from a 400HP M135i, so need to get a few mods in to beat the Beemer's times ;-) 

Tell me more about Alt Tune...do you know roughly what they charge for a stage 1?  Do they have a dyno?  Stage 1 temp management ok for trackdays?

Nga mihi!

Wont need too many mods to beat a M135i's times, they weigh a fair amount and have open diffs so not the best on track, a mate had a 1M when new and we were even pegged at Hampton Downs.

Alt Tune is in Taupo, I have known Hans for a long time, he has done a few tunes for me over the years and he dyno develops most of the maps that are wholesaled to retailers through NZ, AUS and America.  He purchased a Megane 3 RS to develop the map and I think he is likely the best in NZ. 

Maybe worth contacting him to see if anyone local to you retails his maps? I have no idea what they cost, would think the same as anyone else? 

• Like 1

FWIW my race car is running stock tune with factory turbo, intercooler and intake. So far I have had no temp related issues including 1hr races.

• Like 3

On 04/06/2024 at 9:30 AM, NakiRS said:

Manfeild and Taupo about the same, although it was the former I went to the other week.  Back there next weekend hopefully, and then maybe Taupo end of the month, car and wife permitting ;-)  You exercise your's at Ruapuna?

Yip.. I raced the last season in Continental Rennsport, and hoping to do the SS cup rounds next season as well. Some cheap racing down in the south island. You won't need much to be quicker than A 135i. Theres a 400hp one in rennsport that is a good 3 seconds a lap slower. And he has E92 diff etc. 

The megane is great fun, even stock. They do chew the outside edge of the front tyres if you get some proper tyres.. but some eccentric lower bushes may give you enough extra camber if you want to avoid going down the coilover/cert route. Maybe just rotate your tyres around a bit between track days 

• Like 2

On 04/06/2024 at 10:42 AM, RallySportNZ said:

Wont need too many mods to beat a M135i's times, they weigh a fair amount and have open diffs so not the best on track, a mate had a 1M when new and we were even pegged at Hampton Downs.

Alt Tune is in Taupo, I have known Hans for a long time, he has done a few tunes for me over the years and he dyno develops most of the maps that are wholesaled to retailers through NZ, AUS and America.  He purchased a Megane 3 RS to develop the map and I think he is likely the best in NZ. 

Maybe worth contacting him to see if anyone local to you retails his maps? I have no idea what they cost, would think the same as anyone else? 

My beemer has m3 arms up front for some extra camber, so pretty well planted at that end, but certainly the open diff is the main limitation atm. She's pulling about 20kph on the Meg up the straights, and if the brakes were healthy, would currently be about 3s a lap quicker than the Meg round manfeild. But some of that's me still getting used to the FWD and it's epic cornering prowess. Will be interesting to see if it turns into a dingdong battle and which i ultimately prefer lapping.

I'll look Hans up, thanks for the tip.

5 hours ago, ChrisCHCH said:

Yip.. I raced the last season in Continental Rennsport, and hoping to do the SS cup rounds next season as well. Some cheap racing down in the south island. You won't need much to be quicker than A 135i. Theres a 400hp one in rennsport that is a good 3 seconds a lap slower. And he has E92 diff etc. 

The megane is great fun, even stock. They do chew the outside edge of the front tyres if you get some proper tyres.. but some eccentric lower bushes may give you enough extra camber if you want to avoid going down the coilover/cert route. Maybe just rotate your tyres around a bit between track days 

Thanks, and yes, I find myself rotating the fronts on my bmw too. An LSD for that car costs about $4k landed...I figured that gets a sizable chunk of an out of the box much more track focused car, in the shape of a Megane 😉

• Like 2

On 04/06/2024 at 11:23 AM, Matt205 said:

FWIW my race car is running stock tune with factory turbo, intercooler and intake. So far I have had no temp related issues including 1hr races.

Not this guy again?!? Of course, when you drive that slow, you'll never get temp issues.

Welcome @NakiRS! My wife is a JAFA.

• Haha 2