Buying a used Megane RS 250/265

BenB

Hi Everyone,

First of all I would like to thank all the forum members for their inputs. This forum has helped me gain good knowledge about Megane RSes.

Since last few months, I have been planning to reward myself with a hot hatch, never owned one before.  I previously owned a manual 2005 Honda Accord Euro CL9 and really liked the handling. However, when I felt the need to switch to an automatic due to daily 30km drive to work during peak hours, I sold it. Currently driving an auto SUV but I really miss driving a manual that had so much better handling. I have been working from home since last few years and don't need to drive daily in the peak traffic. Therefore, I have been researching hot hatches for the past 2-3 months. I initially looked at Golf GTI Mk6/7 and Ford Focus ST but later found out about Megane RS. I was really impressed with online reviews and have decided to buy a Megane RS  250/265 around $15k.

I have come across two of them which I really like. First one is 2012 RS 265 RB7. Looks like the owner has taken good care of it mechanically but cosmetically it has some issues such as clear coat peeling on the rear spoiler and stone chips on the windshield.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2012-renault-megane-r-s-265-red-bull-manual/SSE-AD-15799782/?Cr=0

The second one is 2011 RS 250 Cup Trophee. This is through a dealer in Brisbane. The car seems very well maintained cosmetically but I am not sure about the mechanical aspect.

https://www.864cars.com.au/stock/2011-renault-megane-3dhatchback-renaultsport250cuptrophee-x95-364947

Which one would you choose? Both are including the RWC.

I am located in Melbourne but both the cars are in Queensland. So, I am thinking of flying there and driving back to Melbourne in 2 days. Has anyone done that or do you think it is better to get them transported through CEVA?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Try for an 8:08 or a 265 Trophy. I'm biased haha but they're really reliable, only thing is the 4 year timing belt changes and most are getting on in age so repairs you have to budget for like air conditioning and engine mounts for example.

• Like 1

At that millage I would find out if either have had the clutch and engine mounts done and choose based on that.

Its not a cheap job on these cars and seems to be where most are failing at this age and millage. Drive a low millage / serviced one for a comparison. 

Apart from that personally I don't like either, and as above would look at saving a bit more money and buying a 8.08 or 265 Trophy with a full service history in Yellow. 

• Like 1

Service history trumps visual appearance in my book.  Nothing mentioned about this for the Trophy?  Maybe check with the car yard - get them to send photo of service book.

At that mileage as stated above, need to allow $2-3k for possible wear and tear fixes (over and above timing belt $1500 to 2k- if that's due).  So see if any sub 100k km car around for $16k.  Having said that I purchased my trophy at 123k km, but serviced well and importantly one elderly owner. Because of mileage it needed new mounts, thermostat, shockies (I fitted KW coilovers), coolant expansion tank, clutch line/pipe - all pretty typical Mk3 RS issues.  Not so worried about the clutch as the 250/265 (not so much the 275) clutch and gearbox are pretty good, though a flogged clutch will be an issue in any manual.

Negotiate hard - used car prices are dropping very quickly, so a buyers' market.  Also make sure you get and independent pre-purchase inspection and make sale conditional on repair, or use it to leverage a lower purchase price.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BenB said:

Hi Everyone,

First of all I would like to thank all the forum members for their inputs. This forum has helped me gain good knowledge about Megane RSes.

Since last few months, I have been planning to reward myself with a hot hatch, never owned one before.  I previously owned a manual 2005 Honda Accord Euro CL9 and really liked the handling. However, when I felt the need to switch to an automatic due to daily 30km drive to work during peak hours, I sold it. Currently driving an auto SUV but I really miss driving a manual that had so much better handling. I have been working from home since last few years and don't need to drive daily in the peak traffic. Therefore, I have been researching hot hatches for the past 2-3 months. I initially looked at Golf GTI Mk6/7 and Ford Focus ST but later found out about Megane RS. I was really impressed with online reviews and have decided to buy a Megane RS  250/265 around $15k.

A bit off topic but how did you find the Euro R? 

Recently moved on my Clio 200, considering one for the K Series NA Thrills and general Honda reliability.

• Like 1

The trophee is a rare color scheme but on which one, at face value, I'd take the RB7.

Otherwise as mentioned by @hengeli I'd hang out for an 8:08 or imo an RB8 if you like the red bull schemes. 

Also as noted above, prices are falling, stock levels are way up, I suspect as people try make ends meet play cars are making way. 

• Like 1

Thanks all.

@Friedchicken it was the normal Accord Euro CL9, not the Euro R. I found it pretty good and reliable. This will be one of my pic for family focused, low maintenance, reliable car with decent handling. It's good looking as well.

@lachlan8 found an RB8, will be checking it out in the next week. The seller is actually nice enough to bring the car to Melbourne from Tasmania for me to inspect while on the way to Sydney. Timing belt kit on this was changed in Feb 2020 and has full service history. Mileage is bit lower than the other two cars I mentioned.

The seller has mentioned that one of the rear shock is leaking. I don't think it will be much expensive to replace.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2014-renault-megane-r-s-265-cup-manual/SSE-AD-15564161/?Cr=28

Edited by BenB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BenB said:

Thanks all.

@Friedchicken it was the normal Accord Euro CL9, not the Euro R. I found it pretty good and reliable. This will be one of my pic for family focused, low maintenance, reliable car with decent handling. It's good looking as well.

@lachlan8 found an RB8, will be checking it out in the next week. The seller is actually nice enough to bring the car to Melbourne from Tasmania for me to inspect while on the way to Sydney. Timing belt kit on this was changed in Feb 2020 and has full service history. Mileage is bit lower than the other two cars I mentioned.

The seller has mentioned that one of the rear shock is leaking. I don't think it will be much expensive to replace.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2014-renault-megane-r-s-265-cup-manual/SSE-AD-15564161/?Cr=28

Wow that looks good 👍 

In case it's news to you (sorry otherwise) the reason I recommend an rb8 is it's the highest spec of all pre facelift cars. You get the xenons and also a unit you can put Android auto on :) let us know how you go, have bought from tassie before and can br a treasure trove at times!

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

Got the RB8 inspected by my mechanic today and he suggested at-least 1.5-2k for VIC roadworthy. Also the AC wasn't cooling well. So, I offered a lower price to the seller but he didn't agree on reducing the price by more than $200. Therefore, I didn't buy the RB8.

The search for Megane RS continues.

Edited by BenB
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update. RSMelbTom's RS265 above got sold before I had a chance to contact him.

As my budget is strictly under 15k, I have chosen the Capsicum Red RS 250 Cup listed on Carsales. The odometer is around 107K and car has the leather seats and bi-xenons. The car has been serviced through Virage Motors and Alpine Affaire, which got me really interested. The seller is currently arranging the RWC and I'll update the thread once I have the car in my possession.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, BenB said:

Just an update. RSMelbTom's RS265 above got sold before I had a chance to contact him.

As my budget is strictly under 15k, I have chosen the Capsicum Red RS 250 Cup listed on Carsales. The odometer is around 107K and car has the leather seats and bi-xenons. The car has been serviced through Virage Motors and Alpine Affaire, which got me really interested. The seller is currently arranging the RWC and I'll update the thread once I have the car in my possession.

Those are all very big ticks! Capsicum red is so cool and rare. I almost bought one recently myself haha. Can't wait to see the pics

I present to you the RS 250 I bought. I met the seller in Melbourne CBD and collected the car over the weekend.

The car has 19 inch wheel which I found okay for ride quality. No immediate plans to replace them with 18inches for smoother ride as suggested by many forums. Overall, I am really enjoying driving the Megane.

As many have mentioned on various forums, the audio quality of the factory stereo is bad. But it don't matter much because it allows you to opportunity to the lovely exhaust sound(the car has centre resonator deleted).

DSC_0412.thumb.jpg.e9c9e4dc8591d4e44f2a5ab25a8409e3.jpg_DSC6594.thumb.jpg.0d26750200508a2c4e0aefc39d5bb45a.jpg

Here are some issues I found after collecting the car. But it's too late as I already paid the seller and he is no longer responding to my messages.

1. Rear right tail light has some scratches. The seller didn't mention anything about it in his listing and I didn't notice them when I inspected the car. So, it may be recent damage. I may consider replacing these when I find the replacement from a wrecker, not urgent though.

2. The seller had Bridgestone RE003 tyres all around. He probably had to replace front tires for RWC, which he didn't tell me. He put on two cheap tyres from different brands in the front. I will consider replacing all 4 tyres at some point in the next year.

I suggest everyone to inspect their purchase thoroughly before collecting it and paying off the seller.

DSC_0417.jpg

• Like 1

Nothing major to sweat there. Re003 aren't recommended by anyone here anyway so change them all for something worthwhile when you can :)

Looks absolutely gorgeous and one of the very few cars the red lipped steeves just match perfectly!

• Like 2

@BenB sorry you had a bad pick-up experience. It's a shame the seller didn't work with you on the RWC items.

Agree with @lachlan8, RE003s are shit, you'll be glad to get new boots. PS5, PS4S, CSC7, Potenza Sport, Eagle F1 - so many great tyres these days. I'm sure many here can relay their experiences and maybe see if there's a Meg 3 tyre test somewhere? When I picked up my 225 Cup many years ago, it had cheap crappy tyres too. After a month, I figured life was too short and just binned them for some Michelins. Plus, cheap tyres will never wear out as they don't produce any grip!

• Like 3