New member - Megane RS265 Cup - anyone know it?

13Beast

Hi all,

Happily purchased my 2013 Megane RS265 Cup from a dealer in Melbourne mid last year, after selling my E63 AMG. Two VERY different cars obviously, but rapt with driving a small, turbocharged 4 cyl again (particularly with the petrol bills!).

I am actually curious if anyone knows more about my car - it has some tasteful modifications, so clearly owned by an enthusiast. Sadly, as bought from a wholesale used car dealer, I have very little info on it.

Some things I have spotted with it:

• Custom cold air intake snout and piping (can see it opening on the grill on the front)
  • Exhaust midbox chop
  • Forge stickers in the engine bay - and a recirc valve/BOV
  • Rear spoiler
  • Front lip & side skirts
  • Other little tasteful touches such as the purple Brembo calipers, wheel nuts, engine cover, front lip struts and interior touches

It has fairly high kms, 176000 when I bought it, now on 184000. Still runs beautifully however, so I am not fussed.

I have noticed it has cloth rear seats, and leather Recaros in the front - but they are not factory Recaros. It has aftermarket Recaros (potentially Mitsubishi EVO?) mounted on K-TEC seat brackets/mounts. It does have the factory red seatbelts. Its VIN and reg checks out as most definitely being an RS265 Cup - so am curious why the aftermarket Recaros? Seems odd to me.

It also does not have the RS Monitor, but does have an aftermarket Chinese touchscreen display mounted on the dash (where the RS monitor would have been if optioned).

Anyways, I was looking to get it possibly tuned, but would not want waste my time and money if indeed the car has already had some work done to it in that regard - and judging from what it already has, it very well may do so.

I know the Renault (and French car) community in Australia is quite small, so putting it out here to see if anyone can chime in with more info who may know my car! Would love to find out more about its story.

Lastly, any tips on which tyres are good for street/track? It has RE003s on it now but getting quite low.

Thanks!

RS265 engine bay.jpg

RS265 front.jpg

RS265 rear.jpg

RS265 side.jpg

I don't know this car but I'd be happy to look it over and also let you know if it's been tuned. Will be interesting to drive it back to back with mine to compare the pair given the work done to mine. 

Also, I'd like to take a closer look at that front spoiler.  I'm in Avondale Heights - whereabouts in Melbourne are you? Would be good to catch up.

Tyres for street/track - Yokohama AD09/A052, Hankook RS4, Bridgestone RE71RS, Dunlop Direzza 11 .....

Edited by slick
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, slick said:

Tyres for street/track - Yokohama AD09/A052, Hankook RS4, Bridgestone RE71RS, Dunlop Direzza 11 .....

Thanks for those recommendations. It's also my daily driver, and I do fairly lengthy trips in it (3+ hours) due to living in rural Vic.

Any ideas on the right suggestion of quality performance tyre for a few trackdays and spirited driving that still has pretty good NVH for the long drives? The RE003s on it now have excellent grip but can be noisy

21 hours ago, ALLEZ said:

I don't know this car but I'd be happy to look it over and also let you know if it's been tuned. Will be interesting to drive it back to back with mine to compare the pair given the work done to mine. 

Also, I'd like to take a closer look at that front spoiler.  I'm in Avondale Heights - whereabouts in Melbourne are you? Would be good to catch up.

Currently in Perth but driving across to Victoria in the next fortnight as I am relocating to Sale, out in Gippsland.

Could definitely make time to catch up, as I often will head into Melbourne from Sale on the weekends here and there.

1 minute ago, 13Beast said:

Thanks for those recommendations. It's also my daily driver, and I do fairly lengthy trips in it (3+ hours) due to living in rural Vic.

Any ideas on the right suggestion of quality performance tyre for a few trackdays and spirited driving that still has pretty good NVH for the long drives? The RE003s on it now have excellent grip but can be noisy

Michelins are always pretty good. Check out some of the Hankook and Kumho road tyres also ...

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, slick said:

Michelins are always pretty good. Check out some of the Hankook and Kumho road tyres also ...

Tried to hunt down some Hankook RS4s but all of WA seem to be out of stock. They are on special at the moment for $212.50 per tyre.

Saw the new Michelin Pilot Sport 5 also up on discount this month - can get a set for $830.

I have heard mixed reviews of Michelin Pilot Sport 4, and criticisms of Michelins having fairly soft sidewalls and probably more suited to larger, faster Euro barges.

I am hoping the Pilot Sport 5 is actually a legitimate high performance tyre and would be a good fit for an RS265?

Depends what you’re willing to pay. For your use case, best tyres are probably PS4S or CSC7. Both very pricey though. Maybe next level down is Potenza Sport.

PS5 will be a good all rounder and that is a good price, probably a third of what you would pay for PS4S!

• Like 1