New Member - Megane RS275

SKL

Hi Everyone 

Finally found and purchased myself an RS275 and now planning the mods.

Couple of questions;

1. Any coilover recommendations? Have been looking at BC Racing

2. I want to keep the Akrapovic exhaust bug upgrade the downpipe ready for tune. Any recommendations? Do I need a front pipe also?

3. Any recommendations on upgraded intercoolers? Been advised by the tuner will need this for Stage 2 tune. Wagner or K-TR Airtex or maybe another?

Got the intake and a number of other items sorted already also :)

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

• Like 3

Welcome to the forum.

Are you new to Meganes? My advice would be to get to know the car before jumping head first into mods. These are very capable cars in stock form so improving the driver can be the best thing starting out. If you must go for mods straight out then my vote goes to the Wagner cooler and maybe some KW coilovers. I'm not big on BC Racing myself. You could even just go with Eibach springs on your stock dampers. Others have had success here. :)  

• Like 3

14 hours ago, lachlan8 said:

Welcome! First...pics!

Soon as it arrives I’ll get some pics up!

It’s getting transported down from Qld, leaving Friday. Can’t wait for it to arrive! 

13 hours ago, OzJustin said:

Welcome to the forum.

Are you new to Meganes? My advice would be to get to know the car before jumping head first into mods. These are very capable cars in stock form so improving the driver can be the best thing starting out. If you must go for mods straight out then my vote goes to the Wagner cooler and maybe some KW coilovers. I'm not big on BC Racing myself. You could even just go with Eibach springs on your stock dampers. Others have had success here. :)  

Thanks for the welcome!

This will be my first Megane, having been lucky enough to drive a Clio RS around the ring a few years, can’t wait to drive the Megane. They were flying past us! haha

Will definitely get used to the car first, but not being new to performance car and track driving I have a good idea what I’m looking to achieve.

Can I ask concerns around the BC’s? Will have a read through here and see what others are running. Have looked at KW’s but feel like they might be overkill on the budget for the car. 

Cheers

Welcome aboard.  Which State do you call home? 

You will encounter a lot of members who insist that driver training is the best modification available.  This is a well-worn line and undoubtedly true since our cars have absolutely enormous potential in stock trim. 

That said, leaving driver training aside, and for those of us who love modifying to enhance the driving experience....

Mods wise, a good way to start is to do a panel filter and sound deadening delete in the stock airbox, combined with an exhaust centre resonator delete.  I'm not sure if the Akra has a centre resonator or not.  If not, then a Koyaworks down pipe is a great addition if you want to keep a high flow cat.  If you want something more on the intake side then in my opinion the itg maxogen is the best available aftermarket intake based on materials and the location of the filter.  It is very expensive but high quality.  The sound difference is also profound.  There are other decent intakes as well.  What did you go for?

Coilovers wise, I preferred the Bilstein B14 for primarily road use.  They are height adjustable and Bilstein does excellent damping.  There is no camber adjustment but the ride quality is outstanding and I think you would find it superior to BC.  I would suggest it's a midpoint between BC and KW, with BC being a little more track focused and adjustable but more budget oriented damping, and KW being superior in ride, damping and adjustability, but far more expensive.

Wagner is the gold standard intercooler.  It's a tube and fin design, good quality and also doesn't murder the stock radiator. 

If you are doing intake, downpipe and intercooler you will benefit enormously from a tune. Strongly consider this.  You should also pay attention to brake discs and pads depending on the age of the car - especially if you're unleashing more torque. 

What other items did you pick up? Looking forward to the build. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ALLEZ said:

Welcome aboard.  Which State do you call home? 

You will encounter a lot of members who insist that driver training is the best modification available.  This is a well-worn line and undoubtedly true since our cars have absolutely enormous potential in stock trim. 

That said, leaving driver training aside, and for those of us who love modifying to enhance the driving experience....

Mods wise, a good way to start is to do a panel filter and sound deadening delete in the stock airbox, combined with an exhaust centre resonator delete.  I'm not sure if the Akra has a centre resonator or not.  If not, then a Koyaworks down pipe is a great addition if you want to keep a high flow cat.  If you want something more on the intake side then in my opinion the itg maxogen is the best available aftermarket intake based on materials and the location of the filter.  It is very expensive but high quality.  The sound difference is also profound.  There are other decent intakes as well.  What did you go for?

Coilovers wise, I preferred the Bilstein B14 for primarily road use.  They are height adjustable and Bilstein does excellent damping.  There is no camber adjustment but the ride quality is outstanding and I think you would find it superior to BC.  I would suggest it's a midpoint between BC and KW, with BC being a little more track focused and adjustable but more budget oriented damping, and KW being superior in ride, damping and adjustability, but far more expensive.

Wagner is the gold standard intercooler.  It's a tube and fin design, good quality and also doesn't murder the stock radiator. 

If you are doing intake, downpipe and intercooler you will benefit enormously from a tune. Strongly consider this.  You should also pay attention to brake discs and pads depending on the age of the car - especially if you're unleashing more torque. 

What other items did you pick up? Looking forward to the build. 

Thanks! And Melbourne is home :)

Thanks for taking the time to send such a detailed reply. Have noticed the driver training pattern on here. And totally agree! However, having done a lot of driver training, competed in Motorsport for a long time and even been an instructor myself like to think I’ve got enough understanding. And looking forward to pushing the car stock to get an initial feel for what I want exactly from the car, but then definitely looking to modify and get even more out of this amazing car.

Thanks also for the pointers, especially the Koyaworks downpipe, looks like a good bit of kit. And maybe sways in a good way towards having a cat haha Definitely will be doing the intake, have been looking at either the ITG or the KTR. 

Thinking about holding off on the coilovers until I’ve had a feel for the car. Possibly worth holding out and going the Bilstein or KW’s. Possibly just do springs for the short term. 

Did think the Wagner intercooler and sounding like it’s really the only option.

And yes, will absolutely be getting a tune with everything getting done. 

Will be doing brakes; pads, braided lines and fluid. And upgrade the disc’ when it’s time or if they need it.

Also doing tyres and a short shift.

Got a feeling this could all grow haha

Really just looking forward to the car arriving in Vic in a week or so!!!

Thanks again :)

• Like 2

Great! With that experience and the well thought out approach to mods, I think you'll get the absolute best out of the car.  One of the mods I am happiest with is the CAE shifter.  Talk about transforming every drive! 

The Koyaworks down pipe is beautiful - with the flex pipe that they do.  Great bit of kit.

Since you're in Melbourne, why not come along to a meet to check out some of the cars and see what takes your fancy.  I'd be happy to give you a look at all mine as there's a lot that's been done.  Sometime in June when the last of it is finished!

Cheers, Christian

• Like 1

Welcome mate!

Your plans sounds good and I agree, give yourself a few weeks in the car to get used to the handling. I haven't done much to mine, but the brakes have the usual pads, line and fluid (as has every car I've ever owned). I've also fitted AST springs to new OEM dampers and I'm pretty happy with it (good for a 1:52.0 at SMSP on road Bridgestone tyres). There's a thread on here somewhere that outlines a how-to-guide to build a replica ITG intake for around $150 + install. Only catch is, with the parts you buy you can make 2 intakes, so find a friend and you're good to go!

Enjoy the new car and be sure to post pics when it arrives.

Alex

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ALLEZ said:

Great! With that experience and the well thought out approach to mods, I think you'll get the absolute best out of the car.  One of the mods I am happiest with is the CAE shifter.  Talk about transforming every drive! 

The Koyaworks down pipe is beautiful - with the flex pipe that they do.  Great bit of kit.

Since you're in Melbourne, why not come along to a meet to check out some of the cars and see what takes your fancy.  I'd be happy to give you a look at all mine as there's a lot that's been done.  Sometime in June when the last of it is finished!

Cheers, Christian

That sounds great, was wondering what meets might be in Melb. I’ll def keep an eye out for it :)

Cheers

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally arrived and ready to head off for its road worthy prep on Wed :)

Cant wait to drive it!!

Some of the goodies have started arriving also haha

Need some better weather to get more photos too.

EBBE600B-95F0-4EFA-AFC1-73E44BF846E6.jpeg

• Like 7

7 hours ago, SKL said:

Twins indeed! 👌 

Not sure to be honest, assumed they were all black. But seems not haha Possibly an option? 

na they're all silver, suspect they had it done as seems the roof is blacked too, either way looks sharp 🤘

• Like 1

Not sure, have seen a few black, well thought I had haha. The roof is the glass not black. Such a mystery the Megane spec’s haha Just looking forward to driving it and getting started with the mods. Cheers 👍 

Edited by SKL
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, SKL said:

Not sure, have seen a few black, well thought I had haha. The roof is the glass not black. Such a mystery the Megane spec’s haha Just looking forward to driving it and getting started with the mods. Cheers 👍 

with the glass roof, the blade came in black from the factory

• Like 1