RS Trophy vs RS Trophy R - Rear Seats

SKL

16 minutes ago, SKL said:

Currently looking at RS Megane options and had what might be a strange question. But does anyone know if it’s possible to add rear seats into a Megane RS Trophy R?

I’d say it’s very possible - the issue would be legality. I’m sure it wouldn’t take much to have it cleared, it’d just be a bit pricey. 

The problem will be the Pole Position seats have no tilt/slide for rear passenger egress in an emergency. So that could be a problem from a compliance/rego perspective.

If you want rear seats I'd go a Trophy and save the headache, main difference being the Ohlins suspension, that can be retrofitted to a trophy much more easily than trying to get a TR registered as a 5 seater I'd imagine.

• Like 2

Not sure if it differs between states, but it’s generally not worth your while to try and compliance additional seats. However many seats are complied is it, and it would be a very expensive exercise getting re-complianced. As @Matt205 says, it’d be easier to fit Ohlins to a 5 seater.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Matt205 said:

The problem will be the Pole Position seats have no tilt/slide for rear passenger egress in an emergency. So that could be a problem from a compliance/rego perspective.

I briefly consider fitting fixed buckets to my Clio 3 but was advised it would need to be mod plated as a two seater which in itself is not a major hassle but then when you lose the side airbag, and need to deal with insuring a “modified car” it all gets a bit much for a road registered car.

The tilting Recaro CS seats are excellent of course but the leather ones at least are slippery and not as snug as I’d like on track. I’m not on the hefty side so narrower bolsters or alcantara would be better.

First world problems…

As said above you would have to get it complied. The Aus Vin sticker as attached upon importation states seats 2. To get it to 4 or 5 would cost a bomb. Lets face it who want to carry 4 or 5 people. It's the lack of weight which makes it so good to drive. I've got one and out of all of my cars it makes me smile the most. Swiss army knife.