I'm back!

edgar

Well after over 6 years I am finally back in the Ozrenaultsport family!

Not so much a newbie but newly returned. 

Although I haven't had a Renault Sport vehicle for over 6 years I have never forgotten them. A couple of months ago I finally decided to come back. 

I was lucky enough to find a 182 Cup owned by a fellow forum member that I'm sure some of you will recognise.

The body isn't perfect but underneath is a solid base with some nice goodies fitted. The vehicle already had AST coilovers, Whiteline rear sway bar, K-Tec intake, Pure Motorsport shifter and some braided brake lines. 

In the short time I have owned the 182 I have added K-Tec/Vibratechnics engine and gearbox mounts, K-Tec/Vibratechnics dog bone, Brembo HC slotted front rotors and PBS Pro Race brake pads with Puretrack titanium backing plates, genuine rear Renault brake rotors/wheel bearings and PBS Pro Track brake pads, PBS brake fluid, fitted the supplied OMP rear strut brace, fitted rear tow hook and fire extinguisher, removed the old window tint, and lastly set up the interior for quick harness installation when visiting the race track. For the track I also have a set of 15x7 wheels with 195/50R15 Dunlop DZ03G tyres. 

Anyway, super pumped to be back and look forward to getting back on the track with some like minded people.

20230105_194511.jpg

20230105_194802.jpg

Edited by edgar
  • Like 15

4 hours ago, japarn said:

Great to see someone go all in with a 182! Would love to get the feedback on the ASTs. They look low!!!

This will be my 3rd Clio, I've had 2 Phase 2 172s' and this will be my first 182 Cup.

The AST coilovers are very good indeed. For coilovers they ride quite well. They're still extremely stiff and day to day would definitely get old quickly, but for a weekend/track toy they're completely acceptable.

In regards to ride height, I have gone a little silly and lowered the vehicle further than the previous owner (20mm front/10mm rear) and increased the front camber to -3°.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, edgar said:

This will be my 3rd Clio, I've had 2 Phase 2 172s' and this will be my first 182 Cup.

The AST coilovers are very good indeed. For coilovers they ride quite well. They're still extremely stiff and day to day would definitely get old quickly, but for a weekend/track toy they're completely acceptable.

In regards to ride height, I have gone a little silly and lowered the vehicle further than the previous owner (20mm front/10mm rear) and increased the front camber to -3°.

It will be interesting to get some feedback from you as to how the car handles on the track.

Are you going to put a rear ARB on it ??

Made a postitive difference to mine on the track ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slick said:

It will be interesting to get some feedback from you as to how the car handles on the track.

Are you going to put a rear ARB on it ??

Made a postitive difference to mine on the track ...

I had tracked my first 172 with only camber bolts and A050's so will be good to see the difference, although that was back in 2009 I think, so the memory is a little faded.

I already have a Whiteline rear sway bar, fitted by the previous owner, currently set on the stiffest setting. 

Will be at Phillip Island 22/01 for the first round of the MSCA track days so will have some feedback and lap times very soon.

Edited by edgar
  • Like 1

On 06/01/2023 at 3:08 PM, edgar said:

I had tracked my first 172 with only camber bolts and A050's so will be good to see the difference, although that was back in 2009 I think, so the memory is a little faded.

I already have a Whiteline rear sway bar, fitted by the previous owner, currently set on the stiffest setting. 

Will be at Phillip Island 22/01 for the first round of the MSCA track days so will have some feedback and lap times very soon.

I, and several others on this forum with rear ARB, have them set on soft FYI. I have camber bolts with about 2 deg negative camber, and standard 182 non-cup suspension. On AD08R, I did 2.03 or there abouts a few years ago.

I have that day in my diary - so I may well see you down at PI.

Edited by slick
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, slick said:

I, and sevevral others on this forum with rear ARB, have them set on soft FYI. I have camber bolts with about 2 deg negative camber, and standard 182 non-cup suspension. On AD08R, I did 2.03 or there abouts a few years ago.

I have that day in my diary - so I may well see you down at PI.

No worries, thanks for letting me know, I have been thinking about trying the softest setting. 

I'll be running brand new Dunlop DZ03G medium compounds so am very excited to see what this set up will do.

Have you entered for PI 22/01?

If not I would enter sooner rather later, as the first round, especially at PI, will fill out quickly if it hasn't already. 

32 minutes ago, edgar said:

No worries, thanks for letting me know, I have been thinking about trying the softest setting. 

I'll be running brand new Dunlop DZ03G medium compounds so am very excited to see what this set up will do.

Have you entered for PI 22/01?

If not I would enter sooner rather later, as the first round, especially at PI, will fill out quickly if it hasn't already. 

No - I have stopped doing sprints now - someone turned into the side of my car at Winton as I was passing him - so I stopped !!

So - if the weather is OK, I may be there in my role as a spectator ...

My car handles neutrally at PI and Sandown with the suspension settings mentioned above. 

Edited by slick
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, slick said:

No - I have stopped doing sprints now - someone turned into the side of my car at Winton as I was passing him - so I stopped !!

So - if the weather is OK, I may be there in my role as a spectator ...

My car handles neutrally at PI and Sandown with the suspension settings mentioned above. 

Ahhhh ok that sucks.

If you make it down to PI, pop into my garage and say hi. 

51 minutes ago, edgar said:

Ahhhh ok that sucks.

If you make it down to PI, pop into my garage and say hi. 

Will do ....

I have spoken to the Minister for Finance and War, and if the weather is OK, we will be there.

Edited by slick
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Easty86 said:

I’ll be giving mine a hiding around Sandown on the 22nd with Tampered if you’re keen?

C1D6517E-2B9B-4E2B-ABE6-AB78F191876A.thumb.jpeg.dd483d0bc5414b6c5f39f74cf22e05e2.jpeg

The 22/1 clashes with MSCA round 1 at Phillip Island  and there are a couple of guys from this forum who are entered.

Why don't you scrapa Sandown and join us at the Island ??? (I will be there as a spectator)

Hey Edgar - just wondering how much experience you had at PI with the 172, (I ask because I used to be an instructor with John Bowe) and I have a probe pyrometer that I could bring down to PI (if the weather is OK) to check your tyre temps and set-up if you think that would be helpful for you.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, slick said:

Hey Edgar - just wondering how much experience you had at PI with the 172, (I ask because I used to be an instructor with John Bowe) and I have a probe pyrometer that I could bring down to PI (if the weather is OK) to check your tyre temps and set-up if you think that would be helpful for you.

Again with the John Bowe mentionitis… 😆

4 minutes ago, slick said:

So - you have a problem with that ???

Not at all. I just find it amusing you’ve mentioned it a dozen times. 

4 minutes ago, speedfiend41 said:

Not at all. I just find it amusing you’ve mentioned it a dozen times. 

The reason I mention it is not to bignote myself. There are a few guys on this forum who are more experienced and knowledgable than I am.

I mention it as an indirect offer to help those people on the forum who are less experienced and may need some guidance and help with driving and car set-up, and the reason, perhaps, that I have mentioned it a dozen times is that there are several newbies who may need help......

I would hate you to get a gut ache from laughing so much at my comment - so perhaps I will not mention it again !

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, slick said:

Thanks mate! 

I've instructed driver training at PI so I have a fair idea of the track, but am always open to any advise.

On 10/01/2023 at 8:56 PM, Easty86 said:

I’ll be giving mine a hiding around Sandown on the 22nd with Tampered if you’re keen?

C1D6517E-2B9B-4E2B-ABE6-AB78F191876A.thumb.jpeg.dd483d0bc5414b6c5f39f74cf22e05e2.jpeg

I'll be driving at PI that day sorry mate!

Thanks for the invite and let me know next event you'll be driving at. 

7 minutes ago, edgar said:

Thanks mate! 

I've instructed driver training at PI so I have a fair idea of the track, but am always open to any advise.

OK - thanks.