Crackle Maps

Fabian

On 05/09/2022 at 5:35 PM, sim said:

Is this for a Clio 4 RS? If so, just get a high flow cat and res delete. You’ll have real crackles, no tuned in stuff. Wouldn’t trust those tunes anyway 

Spot on.  I got the Koyaworks downpipe with 100 cell cat and they did a res delete at the same time.  With the standard tune this introduced all of the nice sounds you're looking for.  I did later have it tuned, which didn't really further change the pops and crackles, but is well worth while.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kaelmcerlane said:

@Dargle Do you need a tune before upgrading to a high flow cat & downpipe with the Clio? this was the case for my Golf a few years back

No you don't need a tune before installing the high flow cat and downpipe.  My car ran as normal after installing these, still with the stock tune. it just sounds way better.  I've read some comments somewhere on this forum, maybe with a different downpipe, where people said their car ran rich, or they could smell fuel, or they had a check engine light.  This may have been related to the O2 sensor.  All I can say from my experience with the Koyaworks downpipe is that I had none of these issues, it ran like factory, just with the good sounds.  Having said that, the tune brings out so much more goodness ....

Mine made 131fwkw with my bolt ons on dyno, and went up to 153fwkw once the tune was complete. 
I have a Koya Works downpipe setup and I had error codes/lights until my car was tuned. Can cheat the O2 sensor with a spacer instead of tuning, but a tune will always be better. 

Edited by sim

My point is more how much power do the bolt on's add over and above just a tune. I tend to be pretty pragmatic (based on a bit of experience) but I'd be interested to see a dyno run stock, then post mods/pre tune. Also just what a tune of a stock car with no mods turns out. Problem is nobody ever really does it that way.

I'm not anti-modding, but not always convinced that aftermarket bolt on's make enough of a difference to warrant the cost (sound improvements aside!).

There's a general assumption that stock parts are always built to a cost and a $200 aftermarket hot air intake is way better than what the factory engineers came up with. 

My personal opinion is modern performance oriented cars are engineered exceptionally well, but have relatively conservative tunes to account for fuel and maintenance variance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt205 said:

My point is more how much power do the bolt on's add over and above just a tune. I tend to be pretty pragmatic (based on a bit of experience) but I'd be interested to see a dyno run stock, then post mods/pre tune. Also just what a tune of a stock car with no mods turns out. Problem is nobody ever really does it that way.

I'm not anti-modding, but not always convinced that aftermarket bolt on's make enough of a difference to warrant the cost (sound improvements aside!).

There's a general assumption that stock parts are always built to a cost and a $200 aftermarket hot air intake is way better than what the factory engineers came up with. 

My personal opinion is modern performance oriented cars are engineered exceptionally well, but have relatively conservative tunes to account for fuel and maintenance variance.

Most Clio IVs have around 110fwkw stock (from what I’ve heard), and as mentioned above mine made 131 with bolt ons and then the 153 once tuned. I do see your point, it does cost quite a bit to get to the power I’ve achieved (with proper quality parts), but if you look at stock power values compared to the tuned + bolt on value, it’s a pretty big jump in overall power as a percentage - which you won’t get with just a tune alone on a stock car. Plus as mentioned you get the nice intake/exhaust sounds as a bonus. 

Edited by sim
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Matt205 said:

Bigger question is how much difference do the bolt ons make over and above just a tune?

I trawled through the results @gambit posted from the dyno days on 4th August.

There's results there on the same dyno, same day (or 1 day apart) for 5 different Clio 4 RS 200.  1 is stock and 4 have some of the usual mods.

This data shows the stock Clio pre-tune has 113kw atw and the modified Clio's were 122-123kw pre-tune (I've excluded the one with the mamba turbo).  The post-tune figure for the stock Clio was 137kw, and 148-150kw for the modified.

Sure they're different cars and the sample size is really small to make any firm conclusions, but this may give some indication of what the mods alone do, compared to mods plus a proper tune.

Both deliver gains, but bang for your bucks, you would be better off with a tuned unmodified car than a modified untuned car.

But of course, both is best.

Edited by Dargle
  • Like 8