Clio RS200 Newbie wondering about Mods

DolphinRS

Just bought a 2016 Clio RS200 Sport a week ago, and I'm starting to think of what mods I should do to make it that little bit cleaner and nicer.

I am a P-plater so I can't really do any engine mods (although I will replace the cold side boost pipe as I saw that's highly recommended here). I definitely wanna change the wheels as the previous owner curbed the original wheels a little bit. 

So here are some of my questions:

1. What wheels would you guys recommend? And tyres to go along with them?

2. What other visual mods could I do? Any body kits/lip kits/diffusers/spoilers anyone recommends?

3. This is a stupid question but how do I engage the launch control? Or is it automatic with RS mode on

Dont bother with launch control 

wheels are really difficult to replace. 

there is only one mod that you should do. The cold side pipe

otherwise time behind the wheel is the way to get the best out of the car

1. What wheels would you guys recommend? And tyres to go along with them?

Wheels - How much are you willing to spend? The Clio IV comes in a very handy 114.3x5 PCD which is the same as lots of JDM cars. The issue you'll have is offset and width. Ideally you want 17x8 or 17x7.5 with an offset 45+ in order to stop rears from rubbing.  You are free to go up to an 18 as well which is what the Cup edition comes in, but will probably have to stick to 18x7.5 which doesn't give you many options.

If you're willing to spend money look at OZ racing ultraleggeras or Sparco Assetto Garra's in 17's, or common imports from japan such as Enkei RPF1, Enkei TS10, SSR GTV02, SSR GTX01. They all come in 17x8 with offsets above +45. 

Tyres - You have many options but number 1 is I suggest to go to 215/45/17 instead of the stock 205. Your wallet will thank you and so will your rims. In terms of brand wise - depends what you're wanting to get out of the car. I've only really run michelin PS4 since purchase and only have good things to say both on street and on track. Others can comment about bridgestone RE003, Pirelli Pzero etc. Just don't run the stock dunlops as they're way too expensive for the lacklustre performance they give you.  

On the cheap side I don't have much to recommend - just look on fb marketplace for 17x8 with 114.3x5. Rota grid's seem to pop up often but can't comment as have never seen them. 

2. What other visual mods could I do? Any body kits/lip kits/diffusers/spoilers anyone recommends?

For lip kits - You basically have 2 options here in Australia. Maxton Lip kits (front, back and sides) or Ewing Aero (front + side) 

Spoiler - Genuine renault cup spoiler (~$2.4k), Exotic Mods (located in Malaysia - $~900 approx), Fiberworks (~$1000) - shit quality so don't recommend this one. Otherwise you can get something off aliexpress for $200 but will need a non-RS spoiler to fit. 

Lowering springs - imo stock height looks like its on a lift kit. Pick up some second hand springs - look on some of the FB groups I think someone is selling some H&R springs which will drop the height considerably and improve the stance of the car. Other options are Eibach's, Cooksport's, or you can go into the realm of coilovers but I highly advise against given if you're not willing to spend big money then the performance you get out of them is mildly better than stock or some cases even worse. 

3. This is a stupid question but how do I engage the launch control? Or is it automatic with RS mode on

Go into RS mode, foot on brake, pull back both flappy paddles and hold (launch control will pop up on dashboard). Don't let go of paddles, push accelarator to the floor, and let go of brake when you're ready to go. 

Edited by aidan059
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, aidan059 said:

Go into RS mode, foot on brake, pull back both flappy paddles and hold (launch control will pop up on dashboard). Don't let go of paddles, push accelarator to the floor, and let go of brake when you're ready to go. 

You actually don't have to continue to hold the paddles after the launch active light comes up;

like it was mentioned, put the car in either 'sport' or 'race' mode, hold the brake pedal hard with your left foot, pull both paddles and hold them for about 3 seconds until 'launch active' light comes up on the dash, let go of the paddles and press the accelerator pedal to the floor with your right foot; ECU will hold revs at 2.5k rpm and just let go of the brake...

I've tried it couple of times, but like others have said, unless you have really sticky tires on a prepped dragstrip, it will mostly just do a burnout for the first 3 metres or so, with probably slower time 0-100km/h and a reduced clutch lifespan...I mean, it sounds and looks cool, but it's not that effective on a normal road...

Like Wiseman once said..."launch control on a front wheel drive is like pissing in the wind"

Edited by Alstar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1