G'Day from Clio Trophy owner from UK

Clio Trophy

Hello

I saw a link to this site on Wikipedia.com and thought I'd have a look, I had no idea that you had Renaultsports in OZ! I'm really chuffed because I'm planning on working in Australia for a bit and would find life without my 182 quite hard!

In case you guys don't know, we got a special Edition 182 at the end of the line callled the Clio Trophy, 500 went to the UK and 50 to Switzerland, strangely the French didn't get any! It's a critically acclaimed car over here, winning practically every group test going, they even got bored of comparing it with other hot hatches and ran it against a BMW M6 in EVO magazine. It's based on a 182 Cup and has Sachs remote resevoir dampers, different springs, lower ride height, lightweight anthracite Speedline Turini wheels, Recaro seats, V6 spoiler and only came in Capsicum Red with Trophy decals.

Here's a link to our site - www.cliotrophy.co.uk

I'm going to have a look on here from time to time, might be a few things we can learn from each other.

Regards

Steve Gunnis.

Hey Steve!

Nice ride :wink:

And yes, we know more about the Clio then you think :P Of course we know about the Trophy, and the Clio V6 too! At least we got 85 mk1 172s, and then we had the 172 full fat and 182/182 Cups too!

So what work you looking at in Australia?

Hmmmmmmmm, maybe bring the trophy with you to Australia? Now that would be cool!

Cheers,

Steven

Cheers guys,

Sorry for telling you old news, it's just that without local advertising , sometimes you know nothing about products in other countries, I knew nothing about the Clio F1 edition "Gordini' you guys have. I got quite excited at the thought of telling some new people about the Trophy, never mind.

I'm working as an Architect in Brighton which is a really cool City on the South Coast, quite a few Aussies here actually, must be the sea and not the fact it's the gay capital of Europe! I'm hoping to work out there in the next couple of years, probably on the East coast but not sure yet. The climate, way of life and unpopulated areas are the biggest draws, as are the more interesting outlook on domestic Architecture, most Brits are stuck in the Victorian era when it comes to what they want their house to look like.

I got my Group N ECU re-map done at K-Tec Racing (I've seen them mentioned on here) which is an hours drive from me, it didn't cost me anything because there was a problem with the computer and my car was immobile for a week but I can highly recommend it, no wild bhp claims from them just a good healthy increase in torque across the rev-range and the biggest difference is the improved throttle response, it's like a hair-trigger now!

I will miss the Trophy when I move but probably keep it shrink-wrapped somewhere here and buy an old V8 to run around in, I'm quite a fan of proper Mustangs (1965-69) but could never afford to run one over here at £1 a litre for fuel!

Cheers

Nice one!

Wait, UK didn't get the 182 Cup with white stripes? I thought it was a package over there? It was just a limited edition F1 model here, to celebrate Renault's success.

Nice one! There are a few architects here, and a few looking to become one! Hmmmmm, Sydney would be the gay capital of Australia, wouldn't it? Sometimes feels like it.. Yea, you know you want to move onto the East Coast. Plus, we have the most RenaultSports too :P

NICE ONE! Any dyno results to show improvements in performance?

Yea, maybe leave your Trophy on a stand and bring the suspension over (HAHAH) and then retro-fit it to a 182 Cup you purchase here for the years you stay for :P

Oh, and you must come to Balmain - all the other Brits do!

Cheers

Hi Teki04

I'm a complete penis, I meant East Coast, my Uncle is in Perth but I want to work in Sydney for a while and then hopefully build a house on the Gold Coast. I want to trek all over to be honest and I might be visiting early next year if I can persuade the girlfriend to come with me.

I haven't got a RR print-out from my car but there is one on the site, here's the link -

http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product ... 1966&pic=2

As you can see, the torque is way up on standard in the middle of the range and take my word for it - you can really feel it, it doesn't get caught between gears so easily now and it's most noticable up steep hills where it pulls noticably harder from lower revs. Best value performance mod there is in my opinion, as the car is pretty perfect how it is anyway. Might get some better pads though as the OE ones are gash.

Cheers guys,

Sorry for telling you old news, it's just that without local advertising , sometimes you know nothing about products in other countries, I knew nothing about the Clio F1 edition "Gordini' you guys have. I got quite excited at the thought of telling some new people about the Trophy, never mind.

I'm working as an Architect in Brighton which is a really cool City on the South Coast, quite a few Aussies here actually, must be the sea and not the fact it's the gay capital of Europe! I'm hoping to work out there in the next couple of years, probably on the East coast but not sure yet. The climate, way of life and unpopulated areas are the biggest draws, as are the more interesting outlook on domestic Architecture, most Brits are stuck in the Victorian era when it comes to what they want their house to look like.

I got my Group N ECU re-map done at K-Tec Racing (I've seen them mentioned on here) which is an hours drive from me, it didn't cost me anything because there was a problem with the computer and my car was immobile for a week but I can highly recommend it, no wild bhp claims from them just a good healthy increase in torque across the rev-range and the biggest difference is the improved throttle response, it's like a hair-trigger now!

I will miss the Trophy when I move but probably keep it shrink-wrapped somewhere here and buy an old V8 to run around in, I'm quite a fan of proper Mustangs (1965-69) but could never afford to run one over here at £1 a litre for fuel!

Cheers

Welcome to the site steve!

Why don't you import the trophy here? I'm sure it would sell quickly and from what I understand you wouldn't have to go trhough all the compliencing BS. Also do you have any pics of the car?

Anyways Welcome!

Hello

I saw a link to this site on Wikipedia.com and thought I'd have a look, I had no idea that you had Renaultsports in OZ! I'm really chuffed because I'm planning on working in Australia for a bit and would find life without my 182 quite hard!

In case you guys don't know, we got a special Edition 182 at the end of the line callled the Clio Trophy, 500 went to the UK and 50 to Switzerland, strangely the French didn't get any! It's a critically acclaimed car over here, winning practically every group test going, they even got bored of comparing it with other hot hatches and ran it against a BMW M6 in EVO magazine. It's based on a 182 Cup and has Sachs remote resevoir dampers, different springs, lower ride height, lightweight anthracite Speedline Turini wheels, Recaro seats, V6 spoiler and only came in Capsicum Red with Trophy decals.

Here's a link to our site - www.cliotrophy.co.uk

I'm going to have a look on here from time to time, might be a few things we can learn from each other.

Regards

Steve Gunnis.

Welcome Steve to OzRS.

Yes indeed I'm sure if Renault Au bought any out they would have been sold prior to landing. 30 Meggy F1 Cups vitually sold out upon release. At least one is a member here.

When they released the Mark 1 172 Cup The 85 of them went before you could say 'Jack Robinson'

Regards, e.sport :mrgreen:

Hello

I saw a link to this site on Wikipedia.com and thought I'd have a look, I had no idea that you had Renaultsports in OZ!

HAHAHA I was the one that put that link there, I also put a link in the drive day video I am sure we got a memeber off of that to :P

Welcome mate, of course you want to move hear wich englishman doesn't :P

Hope you make it over, always good to have another fan of the wee beasty to hang with the OZRS crew, I will personally take you for a fang through the Nasho :twisted:

Check a drive video that I made here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 4655&hl=en

And this one is of me chasing a Exige 240 Cup through the Nash (at road leagal speeds of course) :wink:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Lo7ovHU0rBI

Welcome Steve!

I am actually at uni doing architecture myself, and am typing from my part time job at a firm at the moment! lol

Your trophy would definitely sell if you brought it with you, and i dare say someone from this forum would buy it before you even left the UK!

Or else you could buy a Clio V6, keep it garaged for a year and bring it with you... that would DEFINITELY sell and most probably for a tidy profit... i know at least one person who would buy it in an instant :wink:

Enjoy the vids from Jeffster, especially the one chasing the Exige (as i was in it :mrgreen: )

But most importantly enjoy the site & we hope u can make it out here!!

Cheers,

Alex

Welcome Steve :)

So is it possible to get the Grp N ECU for the 182 and retain cruise control? Is it worthwhile with stock intake and exhaust?

I love those Gordini stripes.

I've got the re-map with stock intake and exhaust, although I do have an ITG panel filter as I think paper filters blow goats, the cruise control is unaffected as is anything else (including warranty as they can't find out without hunting for it) except of course the torque curve! My favourite part is it's a 'stealth' mod and means if you come up against another 172/182 or Type R you're going to have the edge at the traffic light grand prix. :lol: You can also sell it as standard and the buyer will just think it's a bit keener than the other ones he might have tried. I couldn't go without it now, it would feel like someones shoved a potato in the air feed.

p.s. managed 41mpg over a 330 mile trip up to the Lake District travelling never less than 75mph so the fuel economy isn't affected it seems.

Welcome Steve!

I am actually at uni doing architecture myself, and am typing from my part time job at a firm at the moment! lol

Your trophy would definitely sell if you brought it with you, and i dare say someone from this forum would buy it before you even left the UK!

Or else you could buy a Clio V6, keep it garaged for a year and bring it with you... that would DEFINITELY sell and most probably for a tidy profit... i know at least one person who would buy it in an instant :wink:

Enjoy the vids from Jeffster, especially the one chasing the Exige (as i was in it :mrgreen: )

Cheers,

Alex

Nice one Alex, it's a great course - a degree you can actually enjoy (except for the studio crits after no sleep :cry:) what are the opportunities like for Architects out there? I would love to bring the Trophy out but I really can't imagine selling it right now, it's just too much fun, I will be very sad to see it go. The Vee's are awesome but I wouldn't buy one because they don't have enough power, 255bhp isn't enough for 1400kg and that's reflected in the 0-100 time being no better than the 182, and they're not really any faster round a track either, not in amateur hands anyway! Still they are great and I would own one tomorrow in the dream garage, just transplant a 350Z supercharged block into it. :twisted:

Cheers

Welcome Steve!

Cheers,

Alex

Nice one Alex, it's a great course - a degree you can actually enjoy (except for the studio crits after no sleep :cry:) what are the opportunities like for Architects out there? I would love to bring the Trophy out but I really can't imagine selling it right now, it's just too much fun, I will be very sad to see it go. The Vee's are awesome but I wouldn't buy one because they don't have enough power, 255bhp isn't enough for 1400kg and that's reflected in the 0-100 time being no better than the 182, and they're not really any faster round a track either, not in amateur hands anyway! Still they are great and I would own one tomorrow in the dream garage, just transplant a 350Z supercharged block into it. :twisted:

Cheers

lol now THAT'S an idea!

yeah... don't even start on the "no sleep" policy of being an architect / doing the degree... thankfully i haven't had a micro-sleep while driving yet *touchs wooden desk*

it sounds like you have some good info to share with us, especially some inside knowledge on the UK modding scene :mrgreen:

cheers,

Alex

So is it possible to get the Grp N ECU for the 182 and retain cruise control? Is it worthwhile with stock intake and exhaust?

I've got the re-map with stock intake and exhaust, although I do have an ITG panel filter as I think paper filters blow goats, the cruise control is unaffected as is anything else (including warranty as they can't find out without hunting for it) except of course the torque curve! My favourite part is it's a 'stealth' mod and means if you come up against another 172/182 or Type R you're going to have the edge at the traffic light grand prix. :lol: You can also sell it as standard and the buyer will just think it's a bit keener than the other ones he might have tried. I couldn't go without it now, it would feel like someones shoved a potato in the air feed.

p.s. managed 41mpg over a 330 mile trip up to the Lake District travelling never less than 75mph so the fuel economy isn't affected it seems.

Cheers mate, I would love a set of Sachs dampers though. I'll trade you my gordini stripes :)

Cheers mate, I would love a set of Sachs dampers though. I'll trade you my gordini stripes :)

How much would you pay for them, there's a guy I know who's just bought a pair from a rear-ended write-off Trophy. :cry: He doesn't know what to do with them yet, but for the right price...

Hi and welcome to OzRS!

Just to follow up on ClioF1/s post, I thought the Sachs dampers were only fitted to the front and that the rear suspension was pretty much standard 182 Cup?

Hi and welcome to OzRS!

Just to follow up on ClioF1/s post, I thought the Sachs dampers were only fitted to the front and that the rear suspension was pretty much standard 182 Cup?

The Sachs dampers are fitted all round, but the front have the external reservoirs.

Its a shame Renault didn't spec the dampers with adjustment though because if you go to Sachs direct you get bump and rebound adjustment F and R.

Hi and welcome to OzRS!

The Sachs dampers are fitted all round, but the front have the external reservoirs.

Its a shame Renault didn't spec the dampers with adjustment though because if you go to Sachs direct you get bump and rebound adjustment F and R.

Aha, they are adjustable, there's a locking gudgeon pin in the dial but Renault have confirmed that they do indeed have 48 clicks and are locked in the correct setting somewhere in the middle, to adjust them without knowing what you are doing and changing the other suspension components would be very silly, as my Grandad used to say "If it ain't broke - don't fix it."

And to go to Sachs direct for a set of similar remote resevoir dampers (You can't actually buy the Trophy ones unless you are a Renault dealer) would set you back around £3,500 for the pair. The rear ones are Sachs too (but not remote resevoir so much cheaper and can be bought by anyone.

He's not selling them at the moment, but they would probably go for around a grand.

Interesting, I went to Sachs direct and got a quote of AUD $6000 delivered to my door. Thats about 2400 pounds for all 4 including bump and rebound adjustment F and R.

Anthony I sent them an email and heard nothing, did you call?

6K is a lot of dosh

Yeah you have to call mate, anyway I spoke to their suspension engineer - he could hardly speak english and was straight from Germany. This was about 6 months ago. He actually phoned the warehouse back in Germany to get the part numbers and pricing.

Its not worth it, unless you get 2nd hand dampers cheap of a wrecked Trophy the H&R coilovers are looking to be a much better option in terms of value.

Yeah you have to call mate, anyway I spoke to their suspension engineer - he could hardly speak english and was straight from Germany. This was about 6 months ago. He actually phoned the warehouse back in Germany to get the part numbers and pricing.

Its not worth it, unless you get 2nd hand dampers cheap of a wrecked Trophy the H&R coilovers are looking to be a much better option in terms of value.

Seems that way ..... to bad we all ready know that we can't get grey imports of the trophy and that we won't see those dampers anytime soon