P plate exemption for Megane 225

Pat300

Hi,

Does anyone here have experience in getting a moderately powered vehicle exemption for a Megane 225? If so, could you tell me what documents you used to show power to weight ratio and where to get these?

Would be a tremendous help as i’ve hit a dead end in searching for them.

thanks

Power to weight ratio for the Megane 225, 165kw / 1326kg(tare weight) is 124.4kw/t.
So you should be fine with that 130kw/t limit you have in QLD.
Orrrrr......you move to WA and drive what ever car your heart desires. 

(this info was obtained from carsales, so if you need legitimate documents/paper work i'm not sure where to find these)

Edited by PerthRS

It would be worth calling Qld Transport as they would be able to talk you through the process and would likely email the correct form to you.  I agree with @PerthRS that it should be no issue with the power to weight ratio limit (which in Qld is 130 kW per Tonne as noted).  I was reading about this point last year when looking at what I could "get away with" as a car for our daughter to be driving as a learner and then on her P plates, and can't recall now exactly where I read it.

There is a moderately powered vehicle process for pre 2010 with a 125kW per Tonne limit, so you still should be OK with a 225.  Meg 3 no good in either though (as I discovered - was my first choice when looking for our daughter.  Darn it...)

If you read this link there is a link in there to the required application but if that isn't complete, I'd just call them

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/licensing/driver-licensing/applying/provisional/restrictions#:~:text=a maximum power-to-weight ratio of 125kW%2Ft

Edited by No152

In NSW it is not an issue,  from memory it is 125kw/tonne and the Megane is 124.4kw,  My son learnt to drive in my Megane, did his driving test and still drives it while on his red and then green P plates. and that is his limit now while driving on the road.

L plates is a whole different story, no restrictions in NSW.  While on L plates he drove R34 Skyline V specs, Maserati V8, Volvo V60 Polestar, and Aston Martin V8 Vantage.  Which I had had that opportunity when I was learning to drive!!

• Like 1

The 175 Meg was legal in VIC but in the last year the 225 Cup has become legal as well for some reason. Mind you a Clio lV 220 isn’t, so go figure.

Not sure what your chances are in your state but perhaps have a look at the VicRoads web site or call them to find out why they allow it now.

1 hour ago, 63x1092 said:

The 175 Meg was legal in VIC but in the last year the 225 Cup has become legal as well for some reason. Mind you a Clio lV 220 isn’t, so go figure.

Not sure what your chances are in your state but perhaps have a look at the VicRoads web site or call them to find out why they allow it now.

I think this may have something to do with relaxing of the 'turbo' law. It used to be 125kW/tonne limit, then for a while we had a 'no V8s and no turbos' rule. This rule was subsequently relaxed when everything became a turbo!

• Haha 1

The QLD rules are that pre 2010 cars need a moderately powered vehicle exemption if they are turbocharged or supercharged, even if they are <125kw/t, so technically the Megane 225 needs an exemption to be driven on P plates on QLD.

If anyone is in search of a supporting document for the exemption, this one will do: https://www.mainnorthrenault.com.au/ssl/CMS/files_cms/REN1597 Megane RS 225 Specifications.pdf

• Thanks 1