Tell me about non-RS Clios

Caduceus

We all know RS Clios are awesome.  I have one.  My daughter learned to drive in it and now has her Ps.

She's been looking around at cars and eyeing off vanilla (non-RS) Clio 4s on Carsales.  With a budget of 10-12k she can easily pick up a <5 year old model with low ks.  Even though has no problem driving my manual, for some reason she wants an auto so I guess that's the 1.2 turbo.

So realistically, are these decent cars for the money or would she be better off looking at other cars in the same class like Fiestas and Polos or even the next size up in i30s, Corollas etc?

We're not wedded to the idea of another Renault but the RS experience has been a good one.  I wonder if it applies at the less sporty end of the range too?

What would you buy for your kid or have them buy for themselves as a first car?  Currently in year 12.  Going to need it for Uni next year.

If she's keen on auto I wouldn't look at Fiesta nor Polo. To many sad stories on the internet. My neighbour had her Fiesta six time repaired and the problem is returning like boomerang. Gearbox. Actually dual clutch.

Sent from Tapatalk

Sent from Tapatalk

That car's got 178,000km on it.  No thanks.
Good point re km, but have a look at one close to budget and with reasonable km and make an offer. They are so good, it's worth a try if nothing else. For what it's worth, the current prices are what they were at a year ago, so it's worth offering, particularly given how slowly the car market is moving.

My daughter has a FRB Clio Expression. She’s been pretty happy with it - zero issues.

5 hours ago, Caduceus said:

What would you buy for your kid or have them buy for themselves as a first car?  Currently in year 12.  Going to need it for Uni next year.

I’ve bought both my sons a RS Clio 182 Cup. Both under $5K, so not a big hit from my pocket, and I can service their cars for them. 

What would I want them to buy themselves is a different proposition.

As a parent you want a safe reliable car. Also not an expensive car as they are more than likely to write-off their first car. 
In your case, if they were to blow $10-12K on a stock Clio they may as well get a RS. Though as a first car K’s, condition isn’t as much of a concern so they may as well buy the cheapest RS (or other) when the odds are they’ll prang it anyway.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi there new to forum after rejoining Renault family

We have a gt220 for fun and a Trafic Crew for work and family.

First Renault was a 2015 clio expression tce120.

Couldnt go wrong as a first car IF she is set on auto.

Forget R.S. lovely car, but as someone else said, kids are likely to wrote off their first, and EVERYTHING nowadays goes a lot quicker than most of our first cars.

I want my kids to learn in manual and get license in manual, but they have more chance borrowing keys for brand new trafic than the 2013 gt220

• Like 1